Blue Iris UI3

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured the full name is better-suited for being displayed, as the short name is more tightly restricted (it can't even have a space in it).
Understood... but the short name is what shows on the Blue Iris console Alerts and Clips and is the name that I think most people would be familiar with and used to seeing on Alerts and Clips. If UI3 is eventually to be integrated into Blue Iris there is something to be said for consistency.

Last edited:

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
mac using safari (latest version of everything). version b6 of UI3.

i'm still having issues with the streaming profile0. jpg streaming works well.

several yellow boxes with 'the video stream was lost, attempting to reconnect' then a red box with 'the video stream was lost. due to rapid failures, reconnection will not occur'

i had this working for a while by adjusting the web server settings in BI to 'limit rate to 2000 mbps'. this made it work temporarily, but now i'm back only being able to view jpeg refresh with UI3.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please consider adding an option to enable/disable the camera name+timestamp overlay during playback. Maybe also allow the user to choose its position in the frame when it is enabled. In my case it's clobbering the camera timestamp since they're both in the exact same top-left position. Also the BI3 timestamp does not update when scrolling through the clip, it remains at the start time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood... but the short name is what shows on the Blue Iris consol Alerts and Clips and is the name that I think most people would be familiar with and used to seeing on Alerts and Clips. If UI3 is eventually to be integrated into Blue Iris there is something to be said for consistency.
Yes, consistency is a good thing. But I think the full names are usually more visually-appealing and better for displaying to the user though.

mac using safari (latest version of everything). version b6 of UI3.

i'm still having issues with the streaming profile0. jpg streaming works well.

several yellow boxes with 'the video stream was lost, attempting to reconnect' then a red box with 'the video stream was lost. due to rapid failures, reconnection will not occur'

i had this working for a while by adjusting the web server settings in BI to 'limit rate to 2000 mbps'. this made it work temporarily, but now i'm back only being able to view jpeg refresh with UI3.
If you can open the browser's developer tools and look for messages in the console, maybe something will indicate the problem. I assume you weren't also seeing message boxes about frame decoding errors? What quality % did you set for the Streaming 0 profile?

Please consider adding an option to enable/disable the camera name+timestamp overlay during playback. Maybe also allow the user to choose its position in the frame when it is enabled. In my case it's clobbering the camera timestamp since they're both in the exact same top-left position. Also the BI3 timestamp does not update when scrolling through the clip, it remains at the start time.
I saw that coming so you can disable the name at the top by right clicking on it (the "hide" button is in a context menu).

Regarding the UI3 timestamp at the bottom, thanks for letting me know. I'm sure I can fix that.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
During playback if I right click and get the context menu then click on the grayed out camera name the menu remains in view even when going back to live view.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
During playback if I right click and get the context menu then click on the grayed out camera name the menu remains in view even when going back to live view.
LOL that is a good one you've found. It seems that clicking any disabled menu item causes the menu to get stuck open.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
This is absolutely fantastic. Thank you for doing this. I know this is a beta release but this is going to immediately replace UI2 for me, which was already a great interface.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The main thing keeping me away from using BI was the 90's looking UI. Might have to sell my NVR and make a dedicated PC for this.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya. I've got a spare computer in the closet, it's got some WD black drives, windows server 2012 and a i5-4690k, 8gb memory. Could it handle 16 - 4mp cameras?

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
Ya. I've got a spare computer in the closet, it's got some WD black drives, windows server 2012 and a i5-4690k, 8gb memory. Could it handle 16 - 4mp cameras?
What kind of cameras? If they are handling encoding and BI is just writing to disk it's probably fine.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision turrets and bullets, all using h264 right now, is that what you need to know? The 4690k has quick sync on it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not well. If you're running those cameras at 25 FPS then you have 16 cameras * 4 MP * 25 FPS = 1600 MP/s which is about double what even an i7 can handle in my experience. You would have to cut back frame rates to around 7 FPS each to make it run decently through Blue Iris on an i5 I think. Even with direct to disk recording and hardware acceleration, Blue Iris needs to be able to decode all incoming video at the same time, plus you should ensure you have plenty of CPU to spare for when BI has other tasks or for when Windows decides to consume a full core or two for its own things.

Hardware NVRs use tricks like special dedicated decoding hardware, and/or decoding mostly the sub streams, or letting the cameras do their own motion detection, which allows them to run on a whole lot less hardware.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of the cameras are 10fps except for the two mailbox cams that are 15fps. so (14 * 4mp * 10fps) + (2 * 2mp * 15fps) = 620 MP/s ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is well into the territory where an i7 would be a good idea, but you might get it limping on the i5.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
Hardware NVRs use tricks like special dedicated decoding hardware, and/or decoding mostly the sub streams, or letting the cameras do their own motion detection, which allows them to run on a whole lot less hardware.
Hikvision is able to send motion events to Blue Iris btw. I've seen a modest reduction in CPU usage by doing this.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you can open the browser's developer tools and look for messages in the console, maybe something will indicate the problem. I assume you weren't also seeing message boxes about frame decoding errors? What quality % did you set for the Streaming 0 profile?
clearing safari's cache made it work again!

quality % is at 50% and kbps is at 1500.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
mac, safari. web server settings: quality % is at 50% and kbps is at 1500.

in streaming view mode and jpeg mode, scrubbing through recorded clips is not as clean as UI2 or stock BI. UI3 goes blurry/out of focus with the spinning thing when i scrub/drag the timeline. when i release the timeline, it pops back to normal quality.

in UI2/BI, it is clean, clear during scrubbing, the same as playback.

any ideas?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta 7 is available in the first post.

It requires Blue Iris 4.6.4.8 which was released today.

Beta 7 includes bugfixes and supposedly correct/final alert playback (though I forgot to remove the warning message). It needs more exhaustive testing before I'm sure. Also new in version b7 is that users who don't have ptz, audio, or clip-viewing permission should no longer be able to see the relevant parts of the UI.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
2 minor issues to report.

When viewing the default "All Cameras" group in H.264 mode there are vertical grey bars on either side on the image. It doesn't interfere with viewing the cameras in any way and doesn't happen when viewing a single camera or custom groups.

Sometimes the red box around an active camera will flicker or appear appear incomplete.

These are both minor issues and are purely cosmetic.

Edit: should've mention this is using Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 on Windows 10 FCU

Last edited: