Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm OK. Is this something that can be added? I put my cameras in a strip down the side of my desktop. UI2 works so well because I can remove the interface and see only the cameras, whereas UI3 doesn't work so well as you can see.
I can make this happen. I just need to come up with a clean way to do it in this UI.

Ditto. In fact I wish it had the number of the profile it was in when it triggered.
Heh, well I'm sorry to disappoint but the number of the profile it was in is not among the information provided by Blue Iris. I imagine that is not even recorded.

I don't use BlueIris but I had a thought on the thumbnails. Years ago I used to use a grease monkey script that would display a larger floating image when you hovered over a video in search results on youtube and at one point it was updated to provide animated previews that stepped through a series of thumbnails. You could throw something like ?t= at the image preview url on yt and the grease monkey script just grabbed a few frames at some interval or fraction of the clip duration and looped them. Something like this could be an option regarding larger thumbnails.
That is pretty clever. I should have thought of a pop-out to render higher resolution thumbnails. I will consider doing that. Perhaps make it extend to the right so it doesn't overlap other clips.

As for the clip preview animation, I would love to have that in UI3, but I don't want to just copy over the same implementation that UI2 has because of how horribly inefficient Blue Iris is at handling the image requests. Back when I first added that feature people were crashing their Blue Iris processes left and right with it. Currently it is at the bottom of a list of requests to Ken that I've been asking him to look at for a month and I don't think he has opened it yet.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, version b6 is now linked in the first post.

Changes include:
  • The "pause" button in camera properties is now implemented. While a camera is "paused" its motion detection is disabled (maybe other things too, I'm not sure). The behavior is exactly like in the Blue Iris console and official mobile apps, except UI3 tells you how much pause time is remaining and I'm not sure the other apps do. If someone thinks it would be valuable I might put pause functionality in the context menu when you right click on a camera, but I think that menu is quite large enough already.
  • I added more clip / alert icons (see the UI Settings panel to find out which are available and which are enabled by default).
  • You can now "protect" clips via the appropriate context menu. Blue Iris is really slow to toggle protection for some reason, but it works and hopefully someone finds that useful.

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really like the UI3 interface and have not found any major issues with the beta apart from the finalizing of clip playback. I use UI2 and now UI3 on a fairly small screen notebook when away from home so the enlarged thumbnail feature, however it is finally implemented, is an important feature for me. Also, I'm wondering if there is a reason that alerts and clips in UI3 are labelled with the camera Name as opposed to the Short Name as they are on the Blue Iris console.

Thanks for all your efforts developing this web interface and being so generous as to share it with us.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, bp2008. I got the UI3 beta to finally run on the Blue Iris PC. In my server settings, under Advanced, I was limiting access based on IP addresses, and just had to add my own IP address to the list.

• IE11 gets a message stating "Your web browser is too old to use the Blue Iris web interface properly. To proceed with this browser, disable the 'secure only' requirement within the Blue Iris's web server settings."
  • Edge didn't allow for a connection at all.
  • Chrome works great.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Your IE is using compatibility mode and pretending to be a much older version.
No idea what is going wrong with Edge.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I use UI2 and now UI3 on a fairly small screen notebook when away from home so the enlarged thumbnail feature, however it is finally implemented, is an important feature for me. Also, I'm wondering if there is a reason that alerts and clips in UI3 are labelled with the camera Name as opposed to the Short Name as they are on the Blue Iris console.
Note that the clip/alert context menu already has the ability to make thumbnails larger, though it is an alternate layout, not a pop-out.
Yeah, I figured the full name is better-suited for being displayed, as the short name is more tightly restricted (it can't even have a space in it).

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By the way, version b6 is now linked in the first post.

Changes include:
  • The "pause" button in camera properties is now implemented. While a camera is "paused" its motion detection is disabled (maybe other things too, I'm not sure). The behavior is exactly like in the Blue Iris console and official mobile apps, except UI3 tells you how much pause time is remaining and I'm not sure the other apps do. If someone thinks it would be valuable I might put pause functionality in the context menu when you right click on a camera, but I think that menu is quite large enough already.
  • I added more clip / alert icons (see the UI Settings panel to find out which are available and which are enabled by default).
  • You can now "protect" clips via the appropriate context menu. Blue Iris is really slow to toggle protection for some reason, but it works and hopefully someone finds that useful.
Thanks for the icons @bp2008 . I see them for my alerts now with b6.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Note that the clip/alert context menu already has the ability to make thumbnails larger, though it is an alternate layout, not a pop-out.
Yeah, I figured the full name is better-suited for being displayed, as the short name is more tightly restricted (it can't even have a space in it).
@bp2008 The larger thumbnails are better than the smaller default ones. Thanks.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With UI3, during alert playback, any chance to step forward/backwards 1 frame at a time (like in BlueIris)?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I won't be doing 1-frame stepping. That would be a whole lot of work for very little benefit. If you want a similar result I suggest choosing the slowest playback speed and using the space bar to play and pause. It helps to choose a jpeg streaming mode when doing this because the H.264 streaming API often starts a little early and you'd find it frustrating when you pushed play and it went back a few frames. Jpeg Best Quality is also labeled best quality for a reason and I figure if you are inspecting every frame closely then quality matters.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've just stuck b6 on and it's working here on Chrome now and that viewport error I was seeing with b1 is now gone :)

I'm not sure if that was something that changed in the code or whether it's something that's updated at this end as another OSX Beta came through this week:

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.12 beta with Chrome 62.0.3202.89 and Safari 11.0.2

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just stuck b6 on and it's working here on Chrome now and that viewport error I was seeing with b1 is now gone :)

I'm not sure if that was something that changed in the code or whether it's something that's updated at this end as another OSX Beta came through this week:
I did add a check for webgl capability before enabling the H.264 player, as I suspect that error had come from the browser not having webgl capability.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's working a treat now, that's a huge difference over the built in webpages, great stuff thank-you :)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I won't be doing 1-frame stepping. That would be a whole lot of work for very little benefit. If you want a similar result I suggest choosing the slowest playback speed and using the space bar to play and pause. It helps to choose a jpeg streaming mode when doing this because the H.264 streaming API often starts a little early and you'd find it frustrating when you pushed play and it went back a few frames. Jpeg Best Quality is also labeled best quality for a reason and I figure if you are inspecting every frame closely then quality matters.
So JPEG Best Quality is better quality than H.264 sorry dumb question lol.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just swapped out UI2 with UI3. Only question is will there any updates to the iPhone.htm interface? Or was that not part of UI2 and just part of the base web interface with BI?

Looks slick and appears to be operating quickly. I particularly love the right click context menus when I am on my PC. Thanks for all of your work!

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All I can say is.... WOW. This is totally awesome dude! Tubular! Amazing job. You SHOULD get that deal from Ken!
So much about it I like. Nothing to critique.

...Alerts/Clips tabs to utilize most of the screen for listing the clips in rows and columns...
Great idea. Something I would like to see in the BI program itself.
Maybe, have an option for the # of columns to display - which would reduce the size of the camera(s) to fit the remainder of the screen? That way it would satisfy both preferences of users wanting the standard 1 column, or, those of use wanting multiple columns - and those that would want to see the cameras, and those that would not.

Also, would there be a way to select a camera on the 'Live View' page of all (multiple) cameras?
In that way, it could be controlled (ptz) without that camera going to full screen.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, would there be a way to select a camera on the 'Live View' page of all (multiple) cameras?
In that way, it could be controlled (ptz) without that camera going to full screen.
I considered it, but in the end I decided not to do it that way for a lot of reasons.