Blue Iris UI3

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any ETA on when this will be alpha in a software update?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think something was lost in translation there, but if you are asking when this will be included in a Blue Iris update, then I've been told "end of year".

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think something was lost in translation there, but if you are asking when this will be included in a Blue Iris update, then I've been told "end of year".
Yes that was the question.

So if we install the current beta - when the actual update comes along - will it just over-write our beta files or will we need to do more manual work at that time to switch it back over to default?

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm on a mac using safari, latest everything.

seems to work perfectly out of the box with the exception of some PQ issues that someone noted on page 1. it is ever so slightly softer and looks a little grainy on the 9 camera overview page. I may need to play with my web server encoder settings, but i've never messed with them.

the layout of UI3 is beautiful. It looks so good. great job.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When this gets distributed with Blue Iris, it will not be in a "ui3beta" folder ... so it won't "overwrite" the beta except for the login page of course.

I'm not sure what will be done to transition users over to the new UI yet. Probably just a link at the top of all the old pages and I would guess Ken will have Blue Iris send people to UI3 by default when they haven't entered a page name. Previous users of Blue Iris will have to update their bookmarks whether they used this beta or not.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, UI3 video streaming is smoother than UI2. Switching cameras, playing back alerts/clips are all smoother than UI2. Very nice. Although I think the UI3 streaming is causing my Blue Iris CPU to spike up during UI3 usage. (Perhaps time to invest in a newer box.)

Question: is it possible to specify fullscreen and timeout options as part of the URL like:

http://192.168.11.211:81/ui3beta/ui3.htm?&fullscreen=true&timeout=0

I have a Microsoft Surface tablet and other devices running UI2 in fullscreen mode 24x7 and would want to do the same with UI3. With these always-on devices, I just want to view the "Live View" in fullscreen only. I don't need the control panel at on the left-hand side or at the top.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
seems to work perfectly out of the box with the exception of some PQ issues that someone noted on page 1. it is ever so slightly softer and looks a little grainy on the 9 camera overview page. I may need to play with my web server encoder settings, but i've never messed with them.
You need to increase the resolution of your group camera views in Blue Iris.

And also increase the bit rate of at least one of your H.264 streaming profiles in BI options > web server > advanced so you can have higher quality H.264 streams. The 512 Kbps that Blue Iris uses for a default is alright for cell phones but it is painfully low for a large display and a fast network.

Edit 2020-04-03: UI3 has its own streaming profiles now. Editing the bit rate limit in Blue Iris's streaming profiles won't have any effect when using UI3's built-in streaming profiles.

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
In a Chrome browser, nothing shows.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, UI3 video streaming is smoother than UI2. Switching cameras, playing back alerts/clips are all smoother than UI2. Very nice. Although I think the UI3 streaming is causing my Blue Iris CPU to spike up during UI3 usage. (Perhaps time to invest in a newer box.)

Question: is it possible to specify fullscreen and timeout options as part of the URL like:

http://192.168.11.211:81/ui3beta/ui3.htm?&fullscreen=true&timeout=0

I have a Microsoft Surface tablet and other devices running UI2 in fullscreen mode 24x7 and would want to do the same with UI3. With these always-on devices, I just want to view the "Live View" in fullscreen only. I don't need the control panel at on the left-hand side or at the top.
Certainly H.264 streaming done by UI3 is more resource-intensive than jpeg streaming done by UI2.

There isn't a URL parameter for the timeout, but you can set that in the UI settings panel so it doesn't really matter.

I tried to implement a fullscreen parameter but browsers won't let a page enter fullscreen unless it is triggered by user input (i.e. a click) so that didn't work out. You'll just have to push the fullscreen button in the corner.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In a Chrome browser, nothing shows.
To find out what is wrong, you would need to use the developer tools in Chrome to see what appears in the console and check what the network response code was. But it is probably just the 403 response again and I still don't know what causes it. I wish Ken was more responsive because he could surely tell what triggers a 403 response in Blue Iris, but I haven't heard from him in weeks.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And also increase the bit rate of at least one of your H.264 streaming profiles in BI options > web server > advanced so you can have higher quality H.264 streams.
unchecking the limit bandwidth does seem to make UI2 and UI3 quality equal. bravo!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
unchecking the limit bandwidth does seem to make UI2 and UI3 quality equal. bravo!
Just beware if you have that unchecked and you increase the quality % too high in the same panel then you can end up producing a stream with such a high bit rate that nothing can decode it :) This is one of the bugs I told Ken about so hopefully it will be fixed.

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
after running a few hours (mac/safari), UI3 seems stuck.

"the video stream stuck open, you should reload" in red.

"video streaming connection is stuck open. you should reload" in red.

it will not load. i've tried new tabs, closing, etc.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so far so good on macOS sierra and chrome ... the quality is bad but I think I can adjust that somewhere

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay so I just downloaded UI3 and installed and have a few questions/concerns - When reviewing video playback how can I fast forward? 2x 4x ect...? Second thing is - I run a Raspberry Pi in Kiosk mode. On UI2 I could remove the left side clips portion to only see the live view. Is this an option in UI3 that I am just missing?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay so I just downloaded UI3 and installed and have a few questions/concerns - When reviewing video playback how can I fast forward? 2x 4x ect...? Second thing is - I run a Raspberry Pi in Kiosk mode. On UI2 I could remove the left side clips portion to only see the live view. Is this an option in UI3 that I am just missing?
Never mind figured it out!! ~ key = full screen.... Right arrow = skip ahead 10 seconds. I love it!!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speed is an option in the lower right when you have a clip or alert open.
Ahhh yes got It! I like It! Gonna have to play around with this tomorrow. So far so good. I really like It! Thanks for the hard work in developing this!