Blue Iris UI3

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anything on the page still respond after it is frozen? Can you try opening the developer tools via the F12 key (or ctrl + i) and look at the console output to see if anything weird has happened?
Yipeee! There's an error message in the console log! it says http://<BI server>/<blah blah blah> Net:: OUT_OF_MEMORY

Neither the server or the client should be out of memory. The server has 14GB of RAM and only 9GB is showing as used, and the client has 8GB and Edge is the only thing running.

I'm assuming this is the server running out of memory. I don't see any errors in the BI server logs indicating any errors.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@VirtualCam Nope, the server running out of memory would not appear as an error on the client. Your edge browser is leaking memory from the sound of it. I'm fairly certain it isn't UI3's fault, at least not directly. You can probably work around the issue by changing the H.264 player to JavaScript (under UI Settings > Video Player). Just be aware it will use more CPU time on your client device that way.

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@VirtualCam Nope, the server running out of memory would not appear as an error on the client. Your edge browser is leaking memory from the sound of it. I'm fairly certain it isn't UI3's fault, at least not directly. You can probably work around the issue by changing the H.264 player to JavaScript (under UI Settings > Video Player). Just be aware it will use more CPU time on your client device that way.
Switching to Chrome seems to have fixed the issue. Wonder why no one else has reported an issue?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Question about cameras on UI3: I have some cameras that I don't want to show up on UI3. Is there a way to disable certain camera's so they don't show up on UI3, but they do show up on BI?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Question about cameras on UI3: I have some cameras that I don't want to show up on UI3. Is there a way to disable certain camera's so they don't show up on UI3, but they do show up on BI?
Add the cameras you want visible to a camera group, and limit the necessary web server users to only be allowed to access that one group.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I am going to try that and see how far over my head I get......:rofl:
Ok, I have assigned only the cameras I want to be in the group, but UI3 is still giving the option for a user to select whatever group they want, which isn't what I want. Where in the BI settings is the option to only allow a certain group to be broadcast on UI3 and not give the UI3 user the option to choose other groups?

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I guess I'm not understanding the "Bypass Single-Camera Groups" UI3 option.
single camera groups option.PNG
I have this option turned on but the camera groups that only have one camera in them are still showing in the drop down menu, even after Chrome and Windows 10 restart. Is there some other way in UI3 to hide groups with only one camera in them?

rkn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I really like the Timeline view but its highlighted an issue with camera labels.

I've now enabled labels 'Above' the images for the benefit of people in the household who don't know the camera colours to match to the timeline events. However in certain browser window sizes the camera labels are cropped as if the extra height isn't included in the resize logic - is this expected? I see this on Chrome, Firefox and various platforms. The same happens for 'Below' labels and I would rather not lose image by having the label on top of the image.

Another thought about aiding timeline to camera identification - what do people think about the idea of having an option for the camera name to be overlaid on the coloured band?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not understanding the "Bypass Single-Camera Groups" UI3 option.
View attachment 125807
I have this option turned on but the camera groups that only have one camera in them are still showing in the drop down menu, even after Chrome and Windows 10 restart. Is there some other way in UI3 to hide groups with only one camera in them?
I just tested, that option still works. What it does is make it so that when you choose a group with only one camera in it, UI3 will skip loading the group view, and load the single camera's view instead.

I really like the Timeline view but its highlighted an issue with camera labels.

I've now enabled labels 'Above' the images for the benefit of people in the household who don't know the camera colours to match to the timeline events. However in certain browser window sizes the camera labels are cropped as if the extra height isn't included in the resize logic - is this expected? I see this on Chrome, Firefox and various platforms. The same happens for 'Below' labels and I would rather not lose image by having the label on top of the image.

Another thought about aiding timeline to camera identification - what do people think about the idea of having an option for the camera name to be overlaid on the coloured band?
UI3 doesn't get to control camera layout well enough to make room for the labels, hence why I provided so many options for where to position them. Either you need to make room for the labels yourself by manipulating the group layout, or use Blue Iris's built-in camera labeling function which DOES make room for the labels. To find BI's built-in labels, try right clicking the group video stream in UI3, and choose Group Settings. More on that in this thread: can't disable camera labels in UI3

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently noticed high cpu usage when using Chrome/UI3. Can anyone point me to what to look for? Attached are 2 images that show when using UI3 vs not using it.

IMG_1520.PNGIMG_1519.PNG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Its probably your group stream resolutions being too high. Since around 5.5.x the default (which used to be quite low) got raised a lot. I'm going to make a note to put a more sane limit into UI3 and let it be user adjustable via UI3's group settings panel.

In the meantime you can click the edit layout button in Blue Iris, its the one on the right in this screenshot 1650584026643.png

Then right click any camera and go to the second Height submenu (there are two of them lol) and choose 720p or 1080p in there. See if that helps with CPU usage while running UI3.