Blue Iris UI3

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could it be at 30FPS and your NUC and wifi can't keep up and it is pixelated as it tries to keep up?

For kicks drop it to 15FPS and see if it works on one camera.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could it be at 30FPS and your NUC and wifi can't keep up and it is pixelated as it tries to keep up?
I don't have a NUC. I'm running a new 11th-gen i5 with 16GB RAM and a 6TB WD Purple drive.

Running it at 30fps is smooth as butter at 1440p. The point is that the quality visibly decreases in solo cam view if I decrease the resolution. If I understand correctly, this shouldn't happen with direct to wire, and reducing resolution shouldn't have an effect. But clearly here it does. Why?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What happened to your Micro Bi build? any insights you can share with the end result of that? People spent a lot of time with you trying troubleshoot that thing.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happened to your Micro Bi build? any insights you can share with the end result of that? People spent a lot of time with you trying troubleshoot that thing.
It's still micro. I found a really small ITX case and modified it to fit a full sized 3.5 inch HDD. Works great now with ~8% total CPU utilisation and 8 cams.

Can we stay on topic though please?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For sure, I can't think of anything else. See, my direct-to-wire works just fine.
Well here's my comparable settings while viewing a single cam, and as you can see, the detail in the image is noticeably reduced when switching from 1440p to 480p.
Any idea what could be causing this?

1660793428017.png1660793503265.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um, the details are going to be significantly reduced going from 1440P to 480P. You are going from High Definition to below analog TV resolution.... Looks like you are pulling two different profiles - is it pulling main and sub direct to wire in your two situations?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Um, the details are going to be significantly reduced going from 1440P to 480P. You are going from High Definition to below analog TV resolution.... Looks like you are pulling two different profiles
I mean yeah, that's what I mean.
With 'direct to wire', this shouldn't be happening, because nothing should be reencoding in order to change the detail level when a solo camera is selected.
Is this not correct?

is it pulling main and sub direct to wire in your two situations?
Possibly. Does direct-to-wire also intelligently switch between mainstream and substream depending on which of the two resolutions is closest to the selected profile? That could explain it if so. But as far as I was aware, it only pulls from the mainstream. Happy to be wrong though.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
is it pulling main and sub direct to wire in your two situations?
Possibly. Does direct-to-wire also intelligently switch between mainstream and substream depending on which of the two resolutions is closest to the selected profile? That could explain it if so. But as far as I was aware, it only pulls from the mainstream. Happy to be wrong though.
Aha, that must be it. When the resolution arguments sent by UI3 are less than or equal to the sub stream resolution, then Blue Iris will deliver the sub stream via direct-to-wire.

I should have had you open Stats for nerds, that would have been a dead giveaway I think. Well not if the requested resolution happened to be an exact match for the sub stream.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aha, that must be it. When the resolution arguments sent by UI3 are less than or equal to the sub stream resolution, then Blue Iris will deliver the sub stream via direct-to-wire.
Oh so that's the answer then! Thanks, that solves the mystery. Thought I was losing my mind lol.

Ultralord

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello may i ask if i can request a feature that i can put buttons or something to get work with webhooks links from ifttt or something?

Buxton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I just stumbled upon the MQTT feature of UI3 and I have it working to remote control the UIs of my monitors. Very cool. If possible, I'd like to see an added command of a LWT when a browser closes on the UI, or conversely, if the UI is launched in a browser. Perhaps "Closed" and "Open".

Secondly, would it be possible to add a "select all" right mouse click for alerts and clips? I often do manual clip cleanup and a select all function would make things much easier.

Thanks in advance.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon the MQTT feature of UI3 and I have it working to remote control the UIs of my monitors. Very cool.
Interesting. Can you elaborate? Is there a tutorial somewhere? I've got an MQTT server set up on my network but I'm not quite sure how to use it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just stumbled upon the MQTT feature of UI3 and I have it working to remote control the UIs of my monitors. Very cool. If possible, I'd like to see an added command of a LWT when a browser closes on the UI, or conversely, if the UI is launched in a browser. Perhaps "Closed" and "Open".

Secondly, would it be possible to add a "select all" right mouse click for alerts and clips? I often do manual clip cleanup and a select all function would make things much easier.

Thanks in advance.
UI3's mqtt client already announces when it goes online by publishing a retained string to ui3/instance_id/online/random_window_id. The message will be pub/sub or pub only or sub only depending on configuration. Upon disconnection the last will message publishes an empty value to the same topic, effectively removing it.

I don't think I'm going to do a "select all", but you can hold use ctrl and shift keys to multi-select.

Attachments

Buxton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting. Can you elaborate? Is there a tutorial somewhere? I've got an MQTT server set up on my network but I'm not quite sure how to use it.
If you're using mosquitto as your broker, then place the following two lines in the config file:

listener 9001
protocol websockets

This allows port 9001 to function as the websocket listener. Then configure your connection in the UI3 "UI settings" at the top right menu. My configuration looks like this:

1660946265845.png

Then in your MQTT client, place the topic command that you want to fire when a given event occurs. I have an MQTT client in my home automation software, and there is a client in Blue Iris itself. So for example, if you want your hall monitor to show a full screen image of a door camera when someone presses a doorbell, set the publish command to do so when the doorbell triggers your HA, and then the reset command to restore the monitor back to a group of cameras. Here's a sample from a Blue Iris alert that displays my garage camera when triggered with GarageExterior as the name of the camera:

1660947051598.png

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then in your MQTT client, place the topic command that you want to fire when a given event occurs. I have an MQTT client in my home automation software, and there is a client in Blue Iris itself. So for example, if you want your hall monitor to show a full screen image of a door camera when someone presses a doorbell, set the publish command to do so when the doorbell triggers your HA, and then the reset command to restore the monitor back to a group of cameras. Here's a sample from a Blue Iris alert that displays my garage camera when triggered with GarageExterior as the name of the camera:
Damn that sounds awesome, although gotta admit, most of that flew over my head lol.
Is there anywhere I can go to learn the basics of MQTT and what the terms like 'publish' and 'websocket' means in this context?

Buxton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Damn that sounds awesome, although gotta admit, most of that flew over my head lol.
Is there anywhere I can go to learn the basics of MQTT and what the terms like 'publish' and 'websocket' means in this context?

MQTT is not that difficult to understand so I'd say jump in by googling. Perhaps "MQTT home assistant". That should give you the basics. Web socket is a protocol much like http and there's plenty of info on the web if you want to deep dive. Needless to say, start by configuring Blue Iris:

1660965677744.png
1660965741055.png

And once you get a good connection between Blue Iris and your broker--by using the test button as shown above, configure a UI3 instance to your broker per my first snapshot above. Then play around with sending messages until you get a sense of how it works.

The software mqtt explorer will show you what messages are being sent and received and is invaluable when trouble shooting your MQTT communications:

Attachments

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
After all that technical discussion, I feel a bit out of place asking for help on a less technical issue. As of this morning, my live stream (individual cameras) do not show my video overlay (timestamp). They do in the group/index views, and also in the live stream of the BI console on the server.

Did I toggle a switch somewhere on UI3 that would turn that off? Unlike the clip playback where I can force the overlay on/off, that option doesn't exist on the live stream.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
After all that technical discussion, I feel a bit out of place asking for help on a less technical issue. As of this morning, my live stream (individual cameras) do not show my video overlay (timestamp). They do in the group/index views, and also in the live stream of the BI console on the server.

Did I toggle a switch somewhere on UI3 that would turn that off? Unlike the clip playback where I can force the overlay on/off, that option doesn't exist on the live stream.
You probably turned on direct-to-wire streaming which prevents Blue Iris from embedding any overlays.