Blue Iris UI3

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. What is Pushover, and where do I get the API and the docs for it?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you guys mentioned Pushover, that reminds me, this goal could also be achieved via UI3's MQTT remote control function. But it would be fairly involved.

UI3's MQTT documentation is here: UI3 Help

At a high level, the steps would be:

1. Install Mosquitto or another MQTT broker.
2. Connect UI3 to that MQTT broker and enable the "Audio/TTS Events" setting in UI3's MQTT configuration.
3. Connect Blue Iris to that MQTT broker.
4. In Blue Iris you can configure custom actions to be performed when a camera is triggered (on a per-camera basis) and you can use that to publish the necessary MQTT message to make UI3 play whatever sound you like.

Untested example action:

1675716359664.png

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Eric, if you do mess with Pushover (and I recommend it, it works great and I'm glad I set it up), there is one thing that drove me a bit crazy setting it up, likely my thick headedness. So I will mention it here, maybe save you or someone else a headbanging.
First: when after you sign up and download the app, etc you will need to put the string noted in Jaydeel's great post into BI's actions.

-s --form-string "token=YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE" --form-string "user=YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

You will need to change the APP TOKEN and USER KEY. That part is easy. But you also need to put the Blue Iris alert path in at the end of that string. If your Blue Iris path is different (mine was), make sure it's correct here, and do not change the words \&ALERT_PATH" ... don't substitute anything here. So my version of the part after _SOUND_HERE" is
_F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
Now if you try to test this in BI alerts/actions by using the lightning bolt to trigger the set you made, It will NOT work here! You must test this by actually going outside and triggering the camera... I went nuts trying to test it with the BI trigger and couldn't figure what I did wrong. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

nonono

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to only make the UI3 noise/zoom for people without taking vehicles out of the AI settings? In other words, I want to keep vehicles in my timeline, but I only want UI to get my attention for people. I know this is possible with pushover and other alerts, but I'm specifically asking about UI3 or through some configuration of BI to accomplish the same.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a way to only make the UI3 noise/zoom for people without taking vehicles out of the AI settings? In other words, I want to keep vehicles in my timeline, but I only want UI to get my attention for people. I know this is possible with pushover and other alerts, but I'm specifically asking about UI3 or through some configuration of BI to accomplish the same.
@nonono One approach is to connect your UI3 to MQTT.

Then in BI5, configure an "On Alert" action to trigger for "person" object ONLY to send an MQTT to UI3. See screenshot here for example "On Alert". It doesn't have the right MQTT msg for your situation.
On Alert.png

Look at UI3 help page for the correct MQTT for audio playback.

UI3 help.png

Related, personally, I don't use this approach because I prefer more complex automation. All BI5 AI events are sent to Home Assistant (my home automation) where I have some automation to take these events and/or other home sensors to trigger a number of actions including audio alerts, lights, sirens, etc...

BI5 + a modern home automation system is really the way to go when you need complex situational logic.

Last edited:

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a camera go full screen (like you clicked on it) when motion is detected, then return to all group camera display after a few seconds, I thought I had this feature in ui3 working, but I cant seem to find it anymore.

Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a camera go full screen (like you clicked on it) when motion is detected, then return to all group camera display after a few seconds, I thought I had this feature in ui3 working, but I cant seem to find it anymore.

Thanks.
Yep, sure can.
Long press the icon fourth from the right.
1678041383645.png

You can also read the UI3 help by clicking on the 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner.

nonono

n3wb
Reaction score
I use UI3 on mobile and I bookmark it to an icon on my home screen. Works great.

One feature nest has is that I can do the same and deeplink to a specific camera. This way I can go straight to a given camera quickly from my home screen.

Is there a URL scheme to deep link to a specific camera on UI3?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you open a specific camera, the URL in your address bar will change to include the necessary URL parameter to load that camera when the page loads. The "Add to Home screen" function is not compatible with this unfortunately. But you should be able to bookmark the exact URL you want, and hopefully add that bookmark to your home screen as a widget or something.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hello all, any idea why my live stream and clip playback plays choppy? The UI3 Server Status shows FPS fluctuating between 10 and 15 and the stats for the live video stream is attached below. But if I remote into the BI machine and watch the streams from BI is plays perfectly smoothly. All of the components are wired including the cameras, BI machine, and the remote viewing machine is logging via LAN.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 165549.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how you are remoting in, it may do a better job of realtime video encoding than Blue Iris does. 4K video streams are difficult to encode, and in almost all cases Blue Iris is only using software encoding whereas some other programs, especially commercial remote desktop stuff, will be properly using hardware accelerated encoding.

My own system plays 4K streams rather choppy through the web server, it is simply because the CPU in the BI machine can't keep up with the demand so frames are dropped.