Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats odd; that is pretty much what happened to me before I wrote the helper app. What OS and BI version are you using? (Win10 64 bit, BI 64 bit?)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
This morning I updated to 4.5.3.6 and your program worked perfect for me...I even left BI tools running which I usually shut off before updating since it likes to restart sometimes before the update is complete, but all went without a hitch.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thats odd; that is pretty much what happened to me before I wrote the helper app. What OS and BI version are you using? (Win10 64 bit, BI 64 bit?)
Yes, Win10 64 bit, BI 64 bit. I have BI Tools running and wondered if that was the problem until I read the post above. I was expecting to leave BI Tools running and have this work. I must have done something wrong. Is there a certain procedure I should follow other than just clicking "Check for update" and selecting install?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the way I do updates... In BI Tools though, I have nothing enabled on the watchdog tab. If you have something enabled there, it could be conflicting.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is the way I do updates... In BI Tools though, I have nothing enabled on the watchdog tab. If you have something enabled there, it could be conflicting.
I do have BI Tools Watch enabled so it'll restart BI if it quits unexpectedly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have BI Tools Watch enabled so it'll restart BI if it quits unexpectedly.
Possibly you just need to disable the BiUpdateHelper feature that kills blueiris.exe when an update starts, but blueiris.exe is supposed to close anyway at that time so I would not expect BI Tools to have a problem with it.

Either way, solid chance it is BI Tools starting Blue Iris again before the update finishes. I can't think what else would do it.

nydegger

n3wb
Reaction score
Must be doing something wrong, updated to ver 1.3 and when starting the service, get the following in the log file. Win 10 64 bit. Seems to be working, as I see it backed up the registry in the daily folder.

-------------
Exception thrown at 4/21/2017 9:35:43 AM
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\BiUpdateHelper\BiUpdateHelperSettings.cfg' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
at BiUpdateHelper.SerializableObjectBase.Load(String filePath)
-------------

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not your fault (probably).

I just released 1.3.1 which addresses this, and fixes a bug where opening the settings panel in the GUI would cause all but the first setting to be disabled! (actually, that bug never made it live - phew)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So I tried to install 4.5.3.7 tonight with BI Tools Watchdog enabled. The update failed. Previously, before I installed the BI Helper, I could run update and leave BI Tools Watchdog running. After tonight's update failed, I disabled BI Tools and the update worked with BU Helper running.

Just passing this along. Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So I tried to install 4.5.3.7 tonight with BI Tools Watchdog enabled. The update failed. Previously, before I installed the BI Helper, I could run update and leave BI Tools Watchdog running. After tonight's update failed, I disabled BI Tools and the update worked with BU Helper running.

Just passing this along. Thanks!
I'm sure it is the "kill Blue Iris" option in my helper that is conflicting. Not sure why it conflicts though.

toxot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @bp2008, i've installed BIUpdateHelper: backuping old versions works fine for me, and its awesome. But i have problems with registry, its creates corrupted files, it's same for dayly backups or manual runs. I have no idea why. Can you assume why it so (antivirus software not installed), maybe i can get some logs to provide you, and it make issue more clear? One funny moment - when it run it manually i see how creates reg file, but when it's finished, in folder only 51KB corrupted 7zip file.
Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It occurs to me I should probably include a way to extract those files for people who haven't got 7zip installed.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There isn't much reason for non-free file compression tools with 7zip around :)

I haven't run winrar in ... a decade?

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the update file for x64 4.5.9.6? I updated to 4.5.9.7 and now my camera wont stop flashing the multi colored screen and never come online.

I have set this up now and will likely be start a repository of the updates.