Blue Iris Update.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I just installed the latest BI update and now it will not start. It did not try to do an auto restart after the update. It was working fine up until then. Now when I try to start it the Windows Admin Permission box comes up, as it always did, and then nothing. Does anyone have an idea where to start trouble shooting?

Thanks
John

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
See if BlueIris.exe is running in task manager. If it is, kill it and try again. Also check the Blue Iris folder where you will find BlueIrisAdmin.exe and blueiris.exe. Try each of these. Maybe one will work where the other does not.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bp2008:

Nope task manager does not show it running. I emailed Blue Iris support and they recommended opening the "Help" file (you can open Help files without opening BlueIris, live and learn) and using that to trouble shoot the problem. It recommended changes to the registry that did not work. I uninstalled and was going to clean copy. Unfortunately I now have to go through Digital River to get a new copy since I am now outside the 14 day down load window. I suspect getting Digital River's attention will be a major frustration.

I blame myself. I violated my first rule of software, "Never Update software without a very good reason. Never.". If I am lucky, that "upgrade" will only cost me a couple of hours of futzing around.

Any thanks for the help.
John.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Tacoman Just tagging you so you see bp's response above before you spend money that you dont need to.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great idea, I did not realize that I could download direct from Blue Iris. Regardless, I did not intend to pay for the software a second time.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sort of Resolved: Reloaded the software from BI. Clean un-install and install. That, to my surprise, that did not work. Same behavior as before: Windows Admin Permission box comes up and then nothing. I got desperate and did a Windows System Check Point Restore from day before yesterday. Although I have done Check Point Restore a couple of times in the past with no problems, I hate doing that because it might mess the ENTIRE SYSTEM up. After all it is Windows. The restore worked without problems and BI is working as it did day before yesterday. All the settings restored. I have no idea what really happened. Why an update messed it up and why the clean install did not work are still mysteries. Back to my first rule of software, "Never Update software without a very good reason. Never."

Thanks for the help
John

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
What registry changes where you asked to make, how many hours was your system down?

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went into the "Trouble shooting" tab of the help menu. Pretty much followed the instructions from there. It was no help. System was only down for a day. I was lucky to be able to restore the entire system to prior checkpoint with no issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Going to call this the end of the tread.

res313

n3wb
Reaction score
I am experiencing the exact same issue. Installed the new update, software would not start at all. I uninstalled, then installed a legacy software(version 2 era) it immediately asked me to update. I did. Then the software would not open.

I have now downloaded the software straight from the website and it will still not open.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am experiencing the exact same issue. Installed the new update, software would not start at all. I uninstalled, then installed a legacy software(version 2 era) it immediately asked me to update. I did. Then the software would not open.

I have now downloaded the software straight from the website and it will still not open.
Welcome to the forum. Are you saying that you updated version 4 then reverted back to blue iris version 2 that is years old?
Did you make any other changes like messing with the admin user account in any way?

res313

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Are you saying that you updated version 4 then reverted back to blue iris version 2 that is years old?
Did you make any other changes like messing with the admin user account in any way?

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry for my first post being a "Help me!".

The software did not revert back to an old version on its own. I simply installed from the download I had when I had previously downloaded it a while back. it was an older version. It then updated immediately upon prompting once it was started up.

My issue now is that I have reverted to an old Windows system restore. Still unable to get the program to open.

I'm going to try a bit older restore to see if that fixes it. Right now I am attempting to run based off the download directly from BI.com

The support at Blue Iris has still yet to get back to me. For a paid product I am not thrilled that I am waiting a few days to hear back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry for my first post being a "Help me!".

The software did not revert back to an old version on its own. I simply installed from the download I had when I had previously downloaded it a while back. it was an older version. It then updated immediately upon prompting once it was started up.

My issue now is that I have reverted to an old Windows system restore. Still unable to get the program to open.

I'm going to try a bit older restore to see if that fixes it. Right now I am attempting to run based off the download directly from BI.com

The support at Blue Iris has still yet to get back to me. For a paid product I am not thrilled that I am waiting a few days to hear back.
Keep in mind the the blue iris developer is a single person. There is no support staff other then him. That is how the software is priced so low.
What exactly happens when you try to start the software? Are you installing 64 bit or 32 bit? is your Operating system 32 or 64 bit?