Blue Iris Upgrade Hell Rant

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
nope Blue Iris won't use my serial number I just paid for, all the while saying it has already been added to my account.
It is a little confusing, but what you bought for < $40 was an extended support key, not a Blue Iris license. When "activating" Blue Iris you must still use your original license key, then to use the extended support key you enter it in Blue Iris Settings > Upgrade/renew. That applies the additional support time to your original license.

If BI rejects your original key saying too many activations, then you need to contact BI support to have it reset.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mopar dude, if your C:\ drive is relatively small, you can point macrium to the Drive letter of an external USB drive, as the destination for the image. Also you can use MAcrium to burn a Boot CD if USB booting is not available. Or you can add a boot menu on the C:\ drive itself of a Macrium recovery enviornment. It adds a new momentary screen to the boot process which allows you to select Macrium. So let that run, and then surf it towards the saved Drive Image on the external drive.
View attachment 121719
I am not sure that the TARGET drive is the problem???

Macrium Reflect had shown the error when (IIRC( verifying the SSD that is my C drive.....that's when all hell broke loose.

I dont want to shanghai this thread.....my apologies for doing so...I do have anther thread - somewhere that I posted when this happened orginally, I think with screen grabs....I will see if I can find that thread....and post the link here....

UPDATE - here is the link...I had started the thread asking about UPSs and then it morphed into Macrium issues.....not good manners, I know....but all my background was in tha thread.....you had actually replied a few times and I had not gotten back.....I fell ill with the COVID crap not long after I posted my last comment there...

UPS for use with Blue Iris system

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I must be extremely lucky as I’ve never had an issue with Windows updates, Intel video drivers did once update and cause an issue but managed to find a newer working version.

I have W10 Pro and used local group policies to control updates so that I manually install them when I am ready. Have also disabled driver updates too to stop updates for drivers including the Intel video drivers.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After months of stable running, my dedicated i9 box went from ~50% cpu usage to alternating between 50% and 90% after a Windows update. While at 90% CPU recordings are missing audio, and frames. Figured no problem, exported the configuration file and went back to a cloned drive backup. Blue Iris decided to lock me out and went into evaluation mode with blue text overlays everywhere.

Decided to just pay the $37.83 USD for ability to upgrade my backup clone disk. Upgraded it and now Blue Iris can't find recordings, and one camera's window is out of the main window and there is no open window on desktop in the pop up menu to uncheck. Ok I'll try to update the blue iris software on first disk that got the problematic windows update, nope Blue Iris won't use my serial number I just paid for, all the while saying it has already been added to my account.

Went to rant on Blue Iris message board and couldn’t make an account. Couldn’t recover old account from email address.

Am a long time user of Blue Iris, but my time is valuable and this implementation of copy protection is unacceptable.
I have a question on the amount of CPU usage you are running. Do you have your video stream going directly to disk, and only having the minimal video stream being sent to the screen of your PC? I reduced my CPU from 80-90%, down to 18%, while running 10 cameras.

On your issue of "Upgrade hell", you hit the nail on the head with that one. Upgrades on both Windows, causing problems, then the constant shifting of the User Interface in BI also is a pet-peeve of mine. A feature that I constantly use "disappears" and I have to start the hunt for where it is now "hidden"......