Blue Iris versus Ip Camera Alerts

bhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
So I installed newly purchased Hikvision 3 megapixel cameras. I configured alerts in the camera such a motion intrusion detection etc. I finally got my Blue Iris server built and Blue Iris installed. So my question is:

Do I disable the alerts within the cameras and setup alerts through Blue Iris only? What do most people do?

Thanks for any help
Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends.

You can run both if you want. Presumably you got the Blue Iris server so that you could have it manage recordings, as most people do. In that case you could turn off the alerts within the cameras, and disable their motion detection.

However if you have any cams recording to SD cards or NAS drives, that can make a nice backup to leave their own recording/motion detection enabled.

Alternatively if you like the camera's motion detection settings better than you like Blue Iris' motion detection, you can configure Blue Iris to poll the Hikvision cameras for their alert status. This would allow you to disable Blue Iris' motion detection while still having Blue Iris record on motion. This could be desirable if you are using line crossing detection well, or if you have cams with PIR sensors. If you are interested in that, here is a blog that explains how you can set up BI to monitor the Hikvision camera's alert status. http://www.petermcannell.com/using-ip-camera-based-pir-sensor-within-blueiris/

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008, I believe that for blue iris using in camera motion only works with Hikvision cameras that have an alarm output..usually designated by -IS at the end of the model...I have asked ken to implement in camera motion for the popular brands like dahua and hikvision but I dont think its a priority...

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, that may be true. I never tried to use that myself. I am pretty sure -IS in the model numbers means Infrared and Sound though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, that may be true. I never tried to use that myself. I am pretty sure -IS in the model numbers means Infrared and Sound though.
Yes the S designates audio and alarm in/out....thats what ive seen in the specs..I dont believe you can get alarm in/out without the audio...

bhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have 1 of the 2432 models with the PIR. I believe it is setup to start recording I the PIR detects a person.

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008, I believe that for blue iris using in camera motion only works with Hikvision cameras that have an alarm output..usually designated by -IS at the end of the model...I have asked ken to implement in camera motion for the popular brands like dahua and hikvision but I dont think its a priority...
I am a IP camera newbie and started with a Dahua IPC-HFW1200. I think you are saying the Event and Storage settings I made using the Internet Explorer prior to discovering Blue Iris are not used when Blue Iris is handling the recording... correct?