Blue Iris WAN side not accessible...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on a personal mission to change this standard of port forwarding to favor VPN.. IPCameras are horribly insecure, full of hardcoded logins, known software holes, no secure forms of authentication, no code auditing..

Exposing these devices directly to the internet is asking for a world of troubles, ive witnessed plenty of people hacking into any random camera they can find; just for the Voyeur prospects.. Its so easy its scary for people.. Ive been at houses of some seedy people watching a family in a mulitmillion dollar house's every move in some random location because they found there cameras using a google search and they had a shit ton of indoor cams and a very hot wife; they were just waiting to see her neked.. these weren't elite uber hackers, just a bunch of delinquent drunks.

Ive setup a camera honeypot with a fake camera feed and within a few weeks it had hundreds of views and had never been linked anywhere... and this was 10 years ago when finding IP cameras was alot more rare than it is now.

Since all the smart devices that Mobile apps run on now all have built in VPN Clients there is absolutely no reason to port forward anymore imho... A Security camera that can compromise your entire security system is not providing you with any REAL security.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
just for the record there is no bug in BI with respect to long dynamic dns names...probably just a spelling error or semi colon vs colon in the entry.

Dubl-D

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I'm way late to the conversation, but I'm dealing with this same problem right now. Everything checks out OK. One thing I found was that my Ooma VOIP Hub was blocking my ports. I had to forward port 80 inside Ooma and my router after that I checked the port and it was open. The main problem I having is that I can't login to the BI app from my cellphone. I get a "no matching user/pw" message when I try to login. I know I'm connecting with the BI server because I get audible push notification alerts on my phone, but it will not allow me to login. I've been messing with this app for three days and I'm burnt out. I may try setting up a VPN. It seems more secure anyway. I think the app does have some bugs because until today I couldn't swipe to delete alerts. I don't know if it was a BI update or the new android lollipop software, but it's working now. Anyway I just wanted the original poster to know he's not alone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...Try this, set up a new user with admin rights ...make sure LAN only is not checked in the user settings for the new user...it should work now..

cwh060

n3wb
Reaction score
The phone app can be finiky for sure. I've been using it for about 2yrs and it took me a bit to set up. Here's how I got it to work:

dyndns - signed up and have an account. I use it for many things.
BlueIris - I use port 85, have this set up in BI
Router - make sure the port (85 in my case) and the IP address of your computer is port fowarded on your router.
As fenderman said above, make sure you have an admin account set up with credentials.

Try connecting inside your house/business first using the app.
I can not connect at work using WiFi, the ports are blocked. However, if I turn off wifi on the cell and use network data, the connection works fine. Again I can not connect through a web page at work. However, I can use uVNC and can tunnel into my home machines using a port which is opened.

good luck to all.

Dubl-D

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I already tried making a new user and made sure LAN only wasn't checked, but it was no go. Like I said I get push notification alerts, but it just wont let me login through the app. And the username and password are correct. I'll take a fresh look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
take a look a your phone security..ive seen some security app block access

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
PEBCAK

Try finding a reset button on this attitude of yours, its not the softwares fault, its not the routers fault, its not the kind people here on the forums fault, its not your Operating Systems fault, or your computers fault, or your DNS's fault.'

This does not work for one simple reason; YOU do not have it setup correctly.. you came in here full of piss and vinegar and im sorry you wasted a few dollars on an application you did not understand and cannot get to work but freaking relax and listen to us.

The fact that you have a CCNA and cant setup a VPN speaks volumes.. Ive helped people whom have never plugged anything into a network setup a VPN.. but then again they didn't think they knew everything and were capable of following instructions.. Your now destroying your network and rebuilding it from the ground up instead of just learning this simple, and easy to setup process you could of had running days ago.. speaks of how you troubleshoot.

Whats even worse is its probably a very simple thing you have been overlooking or ignoring.
Nayr
Hi can you help me setup a vpn for blue iris so i can access my cameras from a remote location?
Thank you!

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I just got done resolving this problem. Unfortunatly I could not log into to my old account on this site (must have been removed?) so I no longer have blue iris in front of me as I type this as I had to wait for admin approval to post create my account.

In blue iris, under webserver, under advanced settings (or configuration etc someone correct this part), remove the checkbox from "use secure login form" (or something like that) it prevents IP cam viewer from being able to log in. Not exactly a great solution, but that is what was preventing ipcam viewer from working on my phone. It seems to only work if I use basic auth (where you get a popup type dialog to log into the website, then ipcamviewer will work)