Blue Iris with Gigabit up and down question

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Currently 26 Dahua cameras rannging from 2 mp to 8mp ( 13 here and 13 remotely)

I currently have Optimum with 400/35

I also have a top of the line processor i9 10940 i think 28 thread and 64 GIG ram and ssd hard drives

CPU usage is never above 25%

I am switching to fios 940/880

Will the FPS of my simulataneously viewed 26 cameras both locally and remotely improve because of my internet speed upgrade?

Thanks,

jeff

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Currently 26 Dahua cameras rannging from 2 mp to 8mp ( 13 here and 13 remotely)

I currently have Optimum with 400/35

I also have a top of the line processor i9 10940 i think 28 thread and 64 GIG ram and ssd hard drives

CPU usage is never above 25%

I am switching to fios 940/880

Will the FPS of my simulataneously viewed 26 cameras both locally and remotely improve because of my internet speed upgrade?

Thanks,

jeff
Local speeds are just that, local, makes no difference whether you have no internet connection at all or a gig.
Your current upload of 35 is way more than you need. Hope you are not paying more for these high speeds you will never use.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Locally your WAN connection isn't in use. So no difference at all there.

From outside your net probably not much. Especially running VPN which most likely will take it down below 35 on whatever end client device.

I have Gig FIOS that I got due to a promo that they had. Only kept because the way that they structure the packages it works out to be less expensive than other lower speeds for what I want. There's not a whole heck of a lot of difference that you'll notice in day-to-day use vs something like 50 or 100. Sometimes downloading/uploading things but usually not since in most cases you'll be throttled by some other slower link or server access. You're only as fast as the slowest point. Streaming services not much. If you had a case where you had a bunch of very heavy simultaneous uses all sharing your connection then maybe more so.

About the only thing where I really notice a big difference as a single task is in running some offsite backups to another location with the same Gig FIOS service. That screams vs how it used to be. Really wasn't practical to do much before. Now it is.

Last edited:

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what is the most important factor in remote viewing of 13 feeds with highest poss fps?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably the overall capabilities of the remote device doing the viewing and its connection speed to whatever net on its end. Which as I said will be further limited by the overhead of encryption if you're connecting by VPN. At least assuming that you have a server and connection on the origin end that can server things up well. Which in your case seems like you do. Don't know what the remote cam end(s) looks like.

You won't really be viewing 13 individual feeds simultaneously will you? In most cases you'd be watching a single feed showing N cameras from some server like BI or similar. Or you'd be watching a single cam at a time if accessed directly. Or are you talking about bringing a remote system/cams into your local BI setup?

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So what is the most important factor in remote viewing of 13 feeds with highest poss fps?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
There is camera bit rate to take into account and also BI transcoding settings. As @Mike A. asks, are you really wanting to view 13 feeds individually at the same time? As in, you will have 13 monitors streaming all 13 cameras simultaneously?

hdtvjeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably the overall capabilities of the remote device doing the viewing and its connection speed to whatever net on its end. Which as I said will be further limited by the overhead of encryption if you're connecting by VPN. At least assuming that you have a server and connection on the origin end that can server things up well. Which in your case seems like you do. Don't know what the remote cam end(s) looks like.

You won't really be viewing 13 individual feeds simultaneously will you? In most cases you'd be watching a single feed showing N cameras from some server like BI or similar. Or you'd be watching a single cam at a time if accessed directly. Or are you talking about bringing a remote system/cams into your local BI setup?

Yes

trying to bring a remote system/cams into my local BI setup

bcr4977

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe you've already switched to the new internet connection by now, but I wouldn't expect a significant change. 400 mbps down should be adequate for 13 remote camera's feeding into your BI server. My 8mp at 15fps uses roughly 500kB/s. If all 13 cameras were 8mp at 15fps you might see 50-60mbps coming into your network.