blue Iris with Hikvision NVR with internal network

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't figure out what happened. I had to reset my NVR to default. Prior to doing that, Blue Iris was working ok with all cameras. Now I cannot add my cameras back. I get a port or IP Address error. The IP Address of my NVR is 192.168.0.33. I have virtual host enabled and I can see and manage all cameras connected to the internal network on the NVR (accessing via web using 192.168.0.33 as URL). I can't remember what I did before to get Blue Iris to work - Should have documented this! Is there a step by step guide covering this scenario anywhere?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have virtual host enabled and I can see and manage all cameras connected to the internal network on the NVR (accessing via web using 192.168.0.33 as URL).
I could very well be wrong, but I thought NVRs using a "virtual host" feature use port forwarding, ... so each of your cameras would be 192.168.0.33:XX, where XX is a unique port number, one per each of your cameras.

That unique port number for each camera would be needed for Blue Iris, but I'm not sure which field it'd go into.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are correct with port forwarding. When I access the nvr via Web, I see them as 192.168.0.33:65001, etc. I tried entering one of the addressed into the ip address of the camera in Blue Iris but still could not get the camera to show. I also remember something about an onvif string and rstp. I think I am using the right string that I got from member nayr awhile back. I will double check the port forwarding address in case I fat fingered something. Thanks.

Last edited:

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was finally able to get BI to see my cameras. The problem was in the RTSP port that was reset to 10554 after I reset my DVR. I kept it as default and forwarded that port. I do have a question however regarding the RTSP port.

When I looked at my cameras via Onvif Manager, the rtsp string is as follows:

rtsp://192.168.0.33:554/Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1

...It shows the rtsp port as 554. But my NVR is using 10554 for rtsp. I'm assuming that 554 is the rtsp port that the camera wants to use. Should I be concerned about this to the extent that I change the rtsp port on my cameras to 10554 to match my NVR?

My NVR see all cams as well as BI. I can also see them on my mobile phone. So I'm a bit confused about the 554 reading. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was finally able to get BI to see my cameras. The problem was in the RTSP port that was reset to 10554 after I reset my DVR. I kept it as default and forwarded that port. I do have a question however regarding the RTSP port.

When I looked at my cameras via Onvif Manager, the rtsp string is as follows:

rtsp://192.168.0.33:554/Streaming/Channels/101?transportmode=unicast&profile=Profile_1

...It shows the rtsp port as 554. But my NVR is using 10554 for rtsp. I'm assuming that 554 is the rtsp port that the camera wants to use. Should I be concerned about this to the extent that I change the rtsp port on my cameras to 10554 to match my NVR?

My NVR see all cams as well as BI. I can also see them on my mobile phone. So I'm a bit confused about the 554 reading. Thanks.
to be clear, if you are entering the same ip in BI 192.168.0.33 (the nvr) and simply changing the camera number, you are not getting the feed from the camera but rather the NVR itself.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I think I understand. I am using virtual host to get around the issue of that internal network on the NVR's POE ports. So the rtsp 554 on the cameras does not matter since I am not connecting directly to each camera?

I have one camera (Dahua dome) that I was unable to add directly to the NVR. It is on a separate POE switch at Ip Address of 192.168.0.108. I am able to see this camera in BI, and onvif manager reports the RTSP port as 554. In BI, how is it that I am still able to stream from this camera despite the fact that I have the rtsp port set to 10554? My port 554 on device 192.168.0.1 shows closed when I check ports. Hope I am making sense!

Thanks in advance. I'm just trying to understand the logic of all of this so I can do a better job of troubleshooting in the future.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I think I understand. I am using virtual host to get around the issue of that internal network on the NVR's POE ports. So the rtsp 554 on the cameras does not matter since I am not connecting directly to each camera?

I have one camera (Dahua dome) that I was unable to add directly to the NVR. It is on a separate POE switch at Ip Address of 192.168.0.108. I am able to see this camera in BI, and onvif manager reports the RTSP port as 554. In BI, how is it that I am still able to stream from this camera despite the fact that I have the rtsp port set to 10554? My port 554 on device 192.168.0.1 shows closed when I check ports. Hope I am making sense!

Thanks in advance. I'm just trying to understand the logic of all of this so I can do a better job of troubleshooting in the future.
Correct.
If you are saying that you have a camera set to rtsp 554 directly streaming to BI that is set at 10554, that should not be working...

Last edited:

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again Federman. Guess I was streaming too much mentally! I changed the RTSP of the Dahua from 554 to 10554 and lost track that I had done that. Thanks gain for your time in responding. This has proven to be very educational and will certainly help me in the future.