Blue Iris with Nelly’s nvr?

Bwall

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m new to the IP camera world and just ordered from Nelly’s the following:
(3) C-2X8-DM 4K (8MP) Ultra HD Outdoor EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm
(1) NSN-608(4K)-8P 8 Channel POE Plug-N-Play 4K NVR w/3 TB Surveillance Hard Drive

I will install these 3 cameras on the exterior of my home with more planned in the future. I have not received this order yet due to the cameras are currently out of stock and should be in this week. Since, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on IPCT trying to learn. One thing that I’m confused about what is the best way to manage video and remote view video. I’m reading many positive reviews about BI software. Any way with the setup I have ordered to run BI or am I better off just using iVMS? Also my original plan was to run all cat5 to central location and then hdmi from nvr to my TV in main living room. Am I able to use NVR from my Tv as described with NVR in basement? With BI I assume this will require a computer to run software. Thanks for any insight. I look forward to getting my system up and running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m new to the IP camera world and just ordered from Nelly’s the following:
(3) C-2X8-DM 4K (8MP) Ultra HD Outdoor EXIR Turret IP Security Camera 2.8mm
(1) NSN-608(4K)-8P 8 Channel POE Plug-N-Play 4K NVR
w/3 TB Surveillance Hard Drive

I will install these 3 cameras on the exterior of my home with more planned in the future. I have not received this order yet due to the cameras are currently out of stock and should be in this week. Since, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on IPCT trying to learn. One thing that I’m confused about what is the best way to manage video and remote view video. I’m reading many positive reviews about BI software. Any way with the setup I have ordered to run BI or am I better off just using iVMS? Also my original plan was to run all cat5 to central location and then hdmi from nvr to my TV in main living room. Am I able to use NVR from my Tv as described with NVR in basement? With BI I assume this will require a computer to run software. Thanks for any insight. I look forward to getting my system up and running.
Blue iris is a computer based VMS, essentialy software that is an NVR on your pc...its much more robust than a traditional NVR...it wont interface with the NVR except to pull a video stream...
remote viewing from the nvr is generally done with a mobile app..

Last edited:

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I’m reading many positive reviews about BI software. Any way with the setup I have ordered to run BI or am I better off just using iVMS?
Hey @Bwall, You can use BlueIris with the NVR but it's definitely not required nor would be necessary since the NVR will be doing all the recording. iVMS-4200 works well for viewing the cameras locally and remotely.

Also my original plan was to run all cat5 to central location and then hdmi from nvr to my TV in main living room. Am I able to use NVR from my Tv as described with NVR in basement?
You can definitely run an HDMI cable from the NVR in the basement to your TV to view it there as long as the distance isn't to far for HDMI. You can also view on a PC using a web browser or the software.

Bwall

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris is a computer based VMS, essential software that is an NVR on your pc...its much more robust than a traditional NVR...it wont interface with the NVR except to pull a video stream...
remote viewing from the nvr is generally done with a mobile app..