Blue Iris

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently installed 4 Hikvision IP cameras (one 2cd2132-i and three 2cd2032-i). All are powered through my POE switch and connect to my 1GB network. I'm running Blue Iris NVR as a vm on Windows 2008 R2 server. I'm giving it 8 cores and 6GB RAM. I've even given it a passthrough Nvidia FX 1800 video card. The issues are:

1. Blue Iris will not let me redirect the storage to a mapped network share. The path changes and the DB file is added to the network drive, but content is never saved to the network share.
2. Performance seems really slow. The VM only has Blue Iris and antivirus. I'm giving the VM dedicated CPU and RAM. I would prefer not to install Blue Iris on a dedicated machine since I have a very robust VM environment

Also, can any one recommend the Best Practices for Blue Iris? "If" this software will let me store content on a network drive, storage will not be a factor. I can save with as high of resolution/framerate as necessary.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you running BI as a service? There are known issues with mapping while running as a service.
4 cameras running at 3mp is a significant load. If its slow, your vm may be underpowered.

Reaction score
I am running it as a service. I'll disable that and see if it makes a difference. Since Blue Iris is a 32-bit app, I figured that 6GB would be fine. I do have 8-cores assigned to this VM. I'll give it another 4 tonight and see if that changes things. Thanks for the quick reply.

dalepa

Reaction score
1. Mapped drive may have issues when logged out. The BI service account needs rights to the share... are you using UNC path the SMB share?
Why not use a virtual disk?

2. What is slow? the GUI? Are you accessing the VM via RDP? I've noticed that viewing BI remotely is slow too...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@dalepa, Good point on the RDP, its terrible with blue iris even with a fast local connection...

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
I just found a new setting on the Options->Startup Tab... "Display video during Remote Desktop Sessions" and the default is "20-second update".

No wonder RDP is soo slow... Changed the option to "Unrestricted" , and RDP is FAST again!

No idea why Unrestricted isn't the default...

@dalepa, Good point on the RDP, its terrible with blue iris even with a fast local connection...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just found a new setting on the Options->Startup Tab... "Display video during Remote Desktop Sessions" and the default is "20-second update".

No wonder RDP is soo slow... Changed the option to "Unrestricted" , and RDP is FAST again!

No idea why Unrestricted isn't the default...
Wow, never even noticed that option!!! Cool!

Reaction score
Never got this to work. Left it alone and kept the storage local. Since then, I've added 3 additional cameras, transitioned to a more power VM host. Built a new fileserver using Freenas 9.3. Upgraded to Blue Iris 4.0.4.3. Figured it's time to revisit storing "New, Alerts, and Stored" clips on a network share. Seems to be very easy in theory, but for the life of me, can't get this to work. I have it running on a 2008 R2 VM, mapped to a 1TB cifs share, using the same user/pass on the VM and the share. Once I change the Blue Iris Options to store the New, Alerts, and Stored content on the share, those folders are written to the share under the BlueIris folder, but no files are ever written. I've left the database path to the default. I've restarted, I've changed the service login to the same user/path. What else am I missing? Could it be 2008? Would I be better off running on Win 7 Pro 64-bit?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...Performance seems really slow. The VM only has Blue Iris and antivirus. I'm giving the VM dedicated CPU and RAM. I would prefer not to install Blue Iris on a dedicated machine since I have a very robust VM environment...
Try dropping your cameras down to 4fps and let us know the result of the experiment.

Reaction score
Resolved the issue. Although I have a drive mapped to the share, it appears that UNC is the answer. Tonight I'll probably document the full process.

JRNAn30

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever document this? I'm running into same issue running as a service.

Reaction score
Slow performance or not being able to save to a network share? For the network share, make sure you use unc for the server share, e.g \\homeserv\share-nvr\ .

JRNAn30

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, It was access generally, I stopped running Blue Iris as a service and run it as an app on startup now and my network access works fine.

wcleme11

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, It was access generally, I stopped running Blue Iris as a service and run it as an app on startup now and my network access works fine.
You can still run BI as a service and do this. The BI service will logon as local system account by default. This needs to be changed to an account that has access to the share. I'm not running a domain at home so I have an account on my BI machine with the same name and password as an account on my server that has access to the share. Then just set the BI Service to logon as that account instead of local system account.

JRNAn30

n3wb
Reaction score
ah, I see. Ive created another admin account and created a shortcut that bypasses the UAC but I don't see how to specify which username the blue iris as a service should run under, it still defaults to SYSTEM, not my NVRuser.

EDIT: Fixed by

Click the Start button, and in the text box type in "services.msc" without the quotes. That should also bring up the services control panel. Once there, locate the service entitled Blue Iris and double click it. On the tab labeled "Log On", change the "Log on as:" from Local System account to This Account and enter the correct username and password that you logon to your BI PC as. Once you say Ok, then back on the screen where all your services are listed, stop and restart the Blue Iris service to make the changes take effect. Thx Rockford622

Last edited:

vwsplitty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ah, I see. Ive created another admin account and created a shortcut that bypasses the UAC but I don't see how to specify which username the blue iris as a service should run under, it still defaults to SYSTEM, not my NVRuser.

EDIT: Fixed by

Click the Start button, and in the text box type in "services.msc" without the quotes. That should also bring up the services control panel. Once there, locate the service entitled Blue Iris and double click it. On the tab labeled "Log On", change the "Log on as:" from Local System account to This Account and enter the correct username and password that you logon to your BI PC as. Once you say Ok, then back on the screen where all your services are listed, stop and restart the Blue Iris service to make the changes take effect. Thx Rockford622

thanks i was going made trying to slove this after my win10 VM just updated to a newer version. i couldn't write to any of the networked storage but could access it from a folder window.

additionally function discovery service had not started on my server/host meaning from any of the VM's i could not see my server listed in the network tree/tab .followed this

Hi,

Are you admin user?

Method 1:

To resolve the problem,

1. Click Start – Search, type “Services.msc”

2. Look for Function Discovery Resource Publication, right-click and select properties.

3. Set the service to start as “Automatic (Delayed)” as against the default “Automatic”

Method 2:

However, you may verify if the following services are started and set to automatic in services window.

To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start

2. Select Run, type "services.msc" and check if these services are enabled:

- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service

- DNS Client

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- SSDP Discovery

- UPnP Device Host

To start the service and set it to automatic, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click one of the services listed above and click on Properties.

2. Click the General tab, and then, next to Startup type, select Automatic.

3. Click Apply, and then click Start.

If the above steps do not help, create a new user account and check if you can turn on Network discovery.

To create a new user account follows the steps below:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type as Administrator, and then click Create Account.

If you are able to turn on network discovery using the new profile, access the link below and follow the steps to fix the user profile.

Last edited: