Blue Iris5 Working fine, but when accessing the web part it crashes after 10 minutes or so

dave2500

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Not sure what to do, i tried uninstalling, re-installing, going back in versions but nothing seems to be working.
If i do not go onto the web area (like remotely) it works and runs with zero problem, but if i open the web page and leave it open for any amount of time, blue iris just closes on the host computer and i have to re open it.
Any idea?
Im not even sure what screen shots would help

Thanks
Sorry for the vague problem, probably explained terribly

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
did you do a fresh install of Windows on the blue iris computer with the Microsoft media Creator tool. you're not running anything else on the computer besides blue iris? Look in the Windows error logging to see if it gives you any clues.

NonTech

n3wb
Reaction score
Being a newbie all the way around, (win 10, nvme m.2, blue iris), I have learned the hard way:
Don't use a nvme m.2 drive - well documented they like to overheat (this my current problem) - may be the cause of crashing?
Read the wiki and cliff notes until your sick of reading it - then study the heck out of it - then read it again - follow these steps repeatedly (trust me, I thought I knew the 10th time, yet I'm still learning, slaps forehead with palm)
Absolutely listen to/read the top posters, such as looney2ns, southern yankee, etc.
Absolutely do fresh win 10 install, make copy of install/recovery disc immediately after install, or sooner (I don't know either just do it)
Absolutely keep your win 10 install as clean as possible - no extra running software or apps (really! apps? come on microsoft)
MY saving grace through this - fixing win 7 computers - my pitfall - not learning win 10 first and trying to do to much too fast
I only posted this in the hopes another person may gain insight to : good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement, hopefully I'm getting to the experience level
Why do we make the same mistakes others have documented? I'm just hard headed I guess (slaps forehead with frying pan)
By the way Hello from newbie, thank you ipcamtalk and to all the people willing to help and who have written great articles here
oh my head

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had a Samsung M2 drive in my BI machine for over a year and a half with no problems at all. If you've got overheating problems, maybe it's time to look at how well the whole system is performing, heat wise and improve cooling a little.

NonTech

n3wb
Reaction score
I knew people would say I haven't had problems, as for me and my experience, this is my first experience with an m.2, I have never had a drive go over 35 c, when I looked in task manager and my cpu for the computer was less than 25% (usually lower), my ram was 16% (usually lower), I had a feeling the drive was failing, until now, all my drive attributes on all my drives on all my machines hhd and ssd showed and have shown 100% health, this is the drive that came with the "ebay" computer. Seeing the multiple posts online concerning there extreme heat, tells me I cannot recommend them. For me heat and dust are the 2 biggest concerns. The computers I build have lasted for years. People tell me when I fix their win 7s they run better than new. Luck of the draw I guess. I went to clean "nothing else" install and the thing still (with an extra fan) shot up. The drive is failing, once bitten twice shy, the sad part is I had just gotten to understanding blue iris reasonably well, was getting the hang of it with win 10, had the cameras recording perfect, and oh no. Yes I followed the optimize cpu instructions, direct to disk ("external" purple hdd) etc. Blue iris was cpu basically 10%, ram was negligible, 2 cams so nothing much there. I just cant recommend a drive that over heats so badly, the difference between the speed of an m2 and a ssd isn't enough for me to dwell over, but the thought of setting everything up again, especially when your just getting out of the gate, aarrggh. I'm writing this from a win 7 pro with the main drive an ssd which has been abused, I havent overclocked this machine though, (didnt overclock the win 10 either), the point being I could, and its made to run cool, currently this over a year old ssd is running 32c with 100% health, I can live with that, the m2 went from 30c to 45c in a couple minutes after start up on a clean install nothing added. Like I have said I read your posts and study (for 3 years before I did anything), my first 2 cameras where from looney2ns review, "varifocals". You guys are great and appreciate all you do and say and write etc. I have come to regard you as "friends" though we have never met. So again, thank you everybody, but I just cant recommend these drives right now. By the way Looney2ns, I wonder how you convince the guy with the eyechart to keep going up and down the driveway, the fact you got his wife involved is incredible, they must be really nice people.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's weird. I haven't experienced anything like that although the first Samsung EVO I bought, 2.5", failed in under a year. Mo problems since.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting.... like many things, ymmv

1607649540379.png

250 is the system drive
500 is used as a 'fast disk/cache'; continuous recording destination then moved later for archiving

dave2500,

sorry you had to re-install, though glad to hear that the problem has not returned.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't write video to an SSD. The life of the drive is based on writes and video never stops writing if you're recording 24/7. Moving them from one drive to another doesn't really do much, either. I just write everything to a WD purple. Much simpler and less CPU intensive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You made me go have a look. My M2 is running at 50C/122F and the 2.5" is down around 33C/91F. My guess would be the metal case of the EVO 2.5" serves a a heatsink even though it's small and thin.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't write video to an SSD. The life of the drive is based on writes and video never stops writing if you're recording 24/7. Moving them from one drive to another doesn't really do much, either. I just write everything to a WD purple. Much simpler and less CPU intensive.
thank you for your concern; however i am aware of SSDs limited lifetime. at my current level of usage, the drive will still be within its rated lifetime of 5 year/300 TBW warranty.

the posting was to highlight that high-use nvme's do not always run hot and not a recommendation/suggestion as how to build a system.