BlueIris 64-Bit and IP Cameras

HarleyDude

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using BI with 6 analog cameras for some time now. I am looking to upgrade my system to Win 7 64-bit and use IP cameras. I upgraded the hardware in early 2014 with the following:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor @ 3.4 GHz
4 GB RAM

I am looking for suggestions on running 8 IP cameras with this setup.

Thank you for your suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! How many Megapixels per camera? Note that is an older 2009 processor and a bit power hungry...

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Start with a 4th generation i7 desktop, then ask questions. Most everything will start well with a good computer.

HarleyDude

n3wb
Reaction score
Based upon the current hardware configuration, what can I expect on Megapixels and quantity of cameras? I am currently using Swan 640 Pro cameras. I have not looked at the differences between them and higher resolution IP cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can certainly handle 8 720p cameras using the direct to disc option...they will be way better then your current setup..you can buy 2 or 3mp cameras and run them at 720p, however, native 720p cameras will be better at night and low light than higher mp cameras...there are lots of threads of various cams and models...
Note use a killawatt meter and check power consumption of that pc under about 50-60 percent load...you may be better off upgrading anyway based on your electric costs..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking at this camera from Nelly's. Is it a good starting point or should I consider something else?

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/hd-cvi/720p/escvi-720p-bt2.html

Thanks
That is a CVI camera and is only compatible with CVI dvrs, it is not ip.
If you are looking for a low cost cameras from nellys to start with consider this one http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/1-mp/esip-mp1-bt1.html#product-tabs
Buy one see how you like it...the more expensive cameras have additional features, but this will be worlds better than your analog.. @RyanODan of nellys may have other suggestions as well.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That 1MP cam from Nellys looks like a rebranded Dahua. If you don't need vendor support, consider buying from Amazon or even Alliexpress. You can get a 3MP cam for only a little more. If you need vendor support, however, plan to spend just a bit more.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will be stretched with 8 3.0mp cameras. I'm using an old gaming desktop Phenom 2 x4 955 machine with 4 GB Ram. I have a total of 20.6MP using a mixture of 9 total cameras. 2 @ 1.3MP, 3 @ 2.0MP, and 4 @ 3.0MP. Mixed wide angle and 4:3. Just happened the way I bought the cams over time. They all run at 15 fps D2D, overlays only running on cameras themselves, BIOS raid with 4 160gb 7200rpm drives. It's a hodge podge system, but it does work. I've done a lot of tweaks but it runs around 68% at idle. This is with BI 64-bit. I think you'll either have to use 6 cameras @ 3.0MP or upgrade the processor to something more powerful and consumes less energy to make it worthwhile to use. Problem is that means new motherboard/cpu/ram/power supply. probably cheaper to buy a refurbed box at that point, or just evaluate how many cams you need and what part of the property you anticipate intruders gaining entry from.