BlueIris and a Dell 2950

Voodoo

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an experiment but it worked great! I purchased a Dell Poweredge 2950 II 2x Xeon E5345 CPU's, 32GB Ram, 2 300gb 15k rpm drives. Added 2 2TB Sata drives to see if it would recognize them, sure enough in the raid config they showed up so I set them online!

Installed Blueiris running as a service with 8 48v 1080p PoE cams . 2 cams record 24/7 with the 6 remaining set to record when triggered. so far 2 days into it, everything is working out great. (but I was told otherwise by many that it would not work!) OMG the power that it will use? Who cares about that??? If your interested I also run a 1000w Grow system!! I like to pay the power company big bucks so I can play with things :)

Anyway, its an interesting machine that works very well! Handles the system better then my Dell N7110 laptop. Will cost more to run and is very loud and is not as efficient as a newer machine would be. It will do the job for now, until I get my desktop built then move it over again! The 2950 will more than like just be used as a game server and storage!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just an experiment but it worked great! I purchased a Dell Poweredge 2950 II 2x Xeon E5345 CPU's, 32GB Ram, 2 300gb 15k rpm drives. Added 2 2TB Sata drives to see if it would recognize them, sure enough in the raid config they showed up so I set them online!

Installed Blueiris running as a service with 8 48v 1080p PoE cams . 2 cams record 24/7 with the 6 remaining set to record when triggered. so far 2 days into it, everything is working out great. (but I was told otherwise by many that it would not work!) OMG the power that it will use? Who cares about that??? If your interested I also run a 1000w Grow system!! I like to pay the power company big bucks so I can play with things :)

Anyway, its an interesting machine that works very well! Handles the system better then my Dell N7110 laptop. Will cost more to run and is very loud and is not as efficient as a newer machine would be. It will do the job for now, until I get my desktop built then move it over again! The 2950 will more than like just be used as a game server and storage!
Power consumption is a HUGE factor for end users. Your system is a terrible idea. That will cost a user in the northeast paying 20 cents a kwh at least $670 a year to run (374w at 85 percent cpu consumption, 243 at idle). That's 50+ dollars a month. The fact that you run a grow system is irrelevant. You can buy a 300 dollar haswell system that will be better and faster for 300 dollars. Six months ROI.
The haswell based system will consume about 30w under the same load. That is 1/10th the power consumption.
No one should even consider using old servers as blue iris machines, its just plain stupid.
Unfortunately someone ripped you off and sold you a system that is not only worthless but actually has negative value.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No one said it wouldn't work Voodoo. But I do believe there was an attempt to communicate that it was a foolish proposition, with little room to scale up.

Voodoo

n3wb
Reaction score
Power consumption is a HUGE factor for end users. Your system is a terrible idea. That will cost a user in the northeast paying 20 cents a kwh at least $670 a year to run (374w at 85 percent cpu consumption, 243 at idle). That's 50+ dollars a month. The fact that you run a grow system is irrelevant. You can buy a 300 dollar haswell system that will be better and faster for 300 dollars. Six months ROI.
The haswell based system will consume about 30w under the same load. That is 1/10th the power consumption.
No one should even consider using old servers as blue iris machines, its just plain stupid.
Unfortunately someone ripped you off and sold you a system that is not only worthless but actually has negative value.
Well each to his own, whats with all you guys and power anyway? Too bad your power on the east coast is so expensive. Can you afford a toaster at that rate? I can pretty much do anything I want with me money, so if it offends you that I actually purchased a 2950, well then mind your own god damn business. And actually it was a hell of a good deal for an 8yr old unit!

Your actually an arrogant bastard to tell someone they are stupid and give them shit over and experiment (did you comprehend what I wrote?) So my advice to you is phuck off dude......

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well each to his own, whats with all you guys and power anyway? Too bad your power on the east coast is so expensive. Can you afford a toaster at that rate? I can pretty much do anything I want with me money, so if it offends you that I actually purchased a 2950, well then mind your own god damn business. And actually it was a hell of a good deal for an 8yr old unit!

Your actually an arrogant bastard to tell someone they are stupid and give them shit over and experiment (did you comprehend what I wrote?) So my advice to you is phuck off dude......
You have proven to be a liar and a moron. On another forum you LIED about having solar. Even at the lowest rates in the US you are talking 300 a YEAR to run.
Unless the seller paid YOU 300 dollars PER year then you did NOT get a good deal. You got SUCKERED. Now trying to justify WASTING 300 PER YEAR.
Flush your money down the toilet. My intention was to warn others not to be an idiot fool like you. Understand now?
Also my advice to you is to watch your language before I ban you.

Voodoo

n3wb
Reaction score
You have proven to be a liar and a moron. On another forum you LIED about having solar. Even at the lowest rates in the US you are talking 300 a YEAR to run.
Unless the seller paid YOU 300 dollars PER year then you did NOT get a good deal. You got SUCKERED. Now trying to justify WASTING 300 PER YEAR.
Flush your money down the toilet. My intention was to warn others not to be an idiot fool like you. Understand now?
Also my advice to you is to watch your language before I ban you.

well ban me, i dont give a shit. it works and i choose to spend my money any fuckin way i want. moron yourself, and dont call me a liar you freaking prick from hell. maybe tomorrow i may buy an IBM36 to play with.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well ban me, i dont give a shit. it works and i choose to spend my money any fuckin way i want. moron yourself, and dont call me a liar you freaking prick from hell. maybe tomorrow i may buy an IBM36 to play with.
You are a liar. Now you are just mad because you have been BUSTED. Stop lying on forums please. It doesnt help you. Bragging about doing a dumb thing like paying for an obsolete server that costs 300 dollars per year to run proves you have no sense as well. I am glad that we now have conclusive proof that you lied about having solar power. Busting liars gives me sweet satisfaction.

Voodoo

n3wb
Reaction score
Who is mad here? Not me. I am just glad that I'm not a prick like you who cuts down people for what they may be doing. Tells them how to spend there money, FU you obnoxious animal.

Others may do as they choose also - who cares about experimenting with older machines, i certainly dont but boy does it bother you. Why? You some kind of earth muffin or something or just a young know it all obnoxious child? Grow up and have some respect for what others try. Yes you may take me off your foreskin as I dont need to listen to your type and certainly wont. My next experiment will be getting it to run on a Commodore 64? what do ya have to say about that my child?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Who is mad here? Not me. I am just glad that I'm not a prick like you who cuts down people for what they may be doing. Tells them how to spend there money, FU you obnoxious animal.

Others may do as they choose also - who cares about experimenting with older machines, i certainly dont but boy does it bother you. Why? You some kind of earth muffin or something or just a young know it all obnoxious child? Grow up and have some respect for what others try. Yes you may take me off your foreskin as I dont need to listen to your type and certainly wont. My next experiment will be getting it to run on a Commodore 64? what do ya have to say about that my child?
Im leaving your posts up so that folks all over the internet can see that you have been outed as a LIAR. On another forum you lied and claimed to have solar panels when that was not the case. LIARS such as yourself GET ZERO respect. ZERO. You say you dont care but keep coming back here. Soon enough i will ban you...just gonna mess with you for a while.
You again missed my point. The point was to protect OTHERS from making the same DUMB mistake you made. You have the same disease others have had in that you refuse to admit your mistake so instead you will pay the electric company 300 dollars a year. What an idiot. Keep rambling on.