blueIris and Vivotek cams

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
is there a link for supported cams by BlueIris?

i have to get an installer to pull cables for me and Vivotek cams were suggested. i currently us BI for inside cams and thinking of putting some IP cams outside and use BI for those too. currently i have analog cams outside and a NVR(flexmax)

are Vivotek cams supported well by BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a link for supported cams by BlueIris?

i have to get an installer to pull cables for me and Vivotek cams were suggested. i currently us BI for inside cams and thinking of putting some IP cams outside and use BI for those too. currently i have analog cams outside and a NVR(flexmax)

are Vivotek cams supported well by BI?
Blue iris should support all vivotek cameras...there is a generic vivotek rtsp stream as well as some others to choose from..
What cameras were suggested to you? Vivotek tends to be expensive while not providing any particular benefit over cheaper cameras.

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris should support all vivotek cameras...there is a generic vivotek rtsp stream as well as some others to choose from..
What cameras were suggested to you? Vivotek tends to be expensive while not providing any particular benefit over cheaper cameras.
not really sure what Vivotek cam the installer suggested but i remember i thought it was expensive.

i have analog cams on outside with a NVR. i'm wanting a few more cams outside and wanted to limit cost this time. i already have a good NAS and a windows server(for BI) not doing much so i thought 3-4 runs of cat 5e cable and a POE switch this time and use the NAS for storage. i didn't want to spend for 8-cam nvr.

this is why i asked about vivotek and BI. it may not be worth it for the installer to just pull a few runs and not sell me a new NVR + expensive cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
not really sure what Vivotek cam the installer suggested but i remember i thought it was expensive.

i have analog cams on outside with a NVR. i'm wanting a few more cams outside and wanted to limit cost this time. i already have a good NAS and a windows server(for BI) not doing much so i thought 3-4 runs of cat 5e cable and a POE switch this time and use the NAS for storage. i didn't want to spend for 8-cam nvr.

this is why i asked about vivotek and BI. it may not be worth it for the installer to just pull a few runs and not sell me a new NVR + expensive cams?
You should be able to find someone to pull the runs without installing any cameras or NVR...should cost between 100-200 per run depending on the difficulty.
Look for professional alarm and phone system installers as they do this all day...then you can install some 100 dollar hikvision cameras and use BI...Note that when going to HD cameras, the cpu load for BI will be significantly increased and your pc may not be able to handle it..

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
You should be able to find someone to pull the runs without installing any cameras or NVR...should cost between 100-200 per run depending on the difficulty.
Look for professional alarm and phone system installers as they do this all day...then you can install some 100 dollar hikvision cameras and use BI...Note that when going to HD cameras, the cpu load for BI will be significantly increased and your pc may not be able to handle it..
thanks for the input regarding other installers. i was a bit stumped on who to call if the current installer, for whatever reason, won't be the one to do it. summer heat big factor here in desert areas.

if i stayed with analog this is the upgrade unit they recommend from my current 4-channel one:

http://digital-watchdog.com/products/?route=product/product&path=59_89&product_id=916

the PC cpu/mem drain could be a factor. i'm just not really into building another pc. too, i would want HD cams, within my wallet capabilities. plus that is two video apps to maintain. one the current analog, two a new IP one. though that isn't a deal breaker.

way so many choices in this arena. ;-) thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the input regarding other installers. i was a bit stumped on who to call if the current installer, for whatever reason, won't be the one to do it. summer heat big factor here in desert areas.

if i stayed with analog this is the upgrade unit they recommend from my current 4-channel one:

http://digital-watchdog.com/products/?route=product/product&path=59_89&product_id=916

the PC cpu/mem drain could be a factor. i'm just not really into building another pc. too, i would want HD cams, within my wallet capabilities. plus that is two video apps to maintain. one the current analog, two a new IP one. though that isn't a deal breaker.

way so many choices in this arena. ;-) thanks
Whatever you dont "upgrade" to that dvr...its not an upgrade at all
If you want to add hd cameras and dont want to run new cable, then get a hd over analog kit from dahua or hikvision.
These are really cheap. Costco and Nellys carry them.
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras.product.100161016.html
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-720p-Security-System-with-1TB-HDD-and-8-720p-Cameras.product.100121251.html

A better option would be a tribrid NVR..this will allow you to use your current coax lines and keep some analog cams, add some CVI-hd over analog cams, and add ip cams...
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/tribrids/8-channel.html
Nellys also has packaged kits available...

26vLHz

n3wb
Reaction score
so that DigitalWatchdog DVR isn't so great huh? i think it cost ~800.00usd

let me see if i understand this. with either the Q-see or Lorex i would connect those cams to my existing analog cables and use their HD DVR?

i think the EYEsurv ESDV-TRIBRID-8 8Channel Analog-IP-HDCVI Tribrid DVR & NVR Combo Recorder for 699.00 is the one to go with.

thanks.