BlueIris computer

Reaction score
Is an optiplex 9020 with an i5-4590 sufficient for 16 hikvisions without motion detection?

My understanding is that BI motion detection is the reason for a powerful cpu, but I will be using the cameras' built-in motion detection with alarm input/output to trigger recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is an optiplex 9020 with an i5-4590 sufficient for 16 hikvisions without motion detection?

My understanding is that BI motion detection is the reason for a powerful cpu, but I will be using the cameras' built-in motion detection with alarm input/output to trigger recording.
you dont state the resolution of the cameras or the intended frame rate. You would need to enable limit decoding. Simply turning off motion detection is insufficient. See wiki on optimizing blue iris.

Reaction score
It will be 16x 4MP @ 20fps. With this workload, the wiki suggests an i7 or 6-core i5. Is this suggestion assuming motion detection is on?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It will be 16x 4MP @ 20fps. With this workload, the wiki suggests an i7 or 6-core i5. Is this suggestion assuming motion detection is on?
Yes. One of the best features of blue iris is it improved motion detection. I suggest you get a more powerful PC. Also if you have not purchased your camera yet there are much better options than Hikvision 4 megapixel.. for low-light look at Hikvision low light turrets or dahua Starlight turrets. There are some Hikvision 4 megapixel low light cameras that should be available soon.