BlueIris Hardware set up question

redman19

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of year old Lenovo Thinkcentre M73 computer that has a 4 core/4 thread i5 built into it. It currently has only 4 GB of memory onboard and am looking to increase that. It is running Windows 10 pro. I can max out at 16 GB, would I be better off maxing it out at 16 or just upgrade it o 8 GB? BlueIris was not how I was going to set up originally, was going to NVR the system but now since I have this box just sitting I figure might as well upgrade memory and add in a WD Purple and run it instead so I'm having to back up and research. I've read the Wiki and I can't find what seems to be a consensus on what amount of memory is better so suggestions would be welcome. I'm learning more about networking than I ever thought I needed to know lol. Setup will look like this Asus router to switch, BlueIris, Line to my shop, line to Xbox, line to TV, and Line to POE switch coming off the switch. POE switch might end up being A Cisco SG300-28P if we wind up changing out or phone system at work. It's a managed switch and way overkill but hey free is free.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of year old Lenovo Thinkcentre M73 computer that has a 4 core/4 thread i5 built into it. It currently has only 4 GB of memory onboard and am looking to increase that. It is running Windows 10 pro. I can max out at 16 GB, would I be better off maxing it out at 16 or just upgrade it o 8 GB? BlueIris was not how I was going to set up originally, was going to NVR the system but now since I have this box just sitting I figure might as well upgrade memory and add in a WD Purple and run it instead so I'm having to back up and research. I've read the Wiki and I can't find what seems to be a consensus on what amount of memory is better so suggestions would be welcome. I'm learning more about networking than I ever thought I needed to know lol. Setup will look like this Asus router to switch, BlueIris, Line to my shop, line to Xbox, line to TV, and Line to POE switch coming off the switch. POE switch might end up being A Cisco SG300-28P if we wind up changing out or phone system at work. It's a managed switch and way overkill but hey free is free.
16 is always better, but 8 will do if in a pinch.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I always think of 12Gb as a minimum, don’t forget that any onboard video card will also take some of the memory, my PC can grab as much as 4Gb.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

redman19

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas! I figured 16 would be better espically in the dual set up. Ordering some today

redman19

n3wb
Reaction score
I am going to need to install a dual or a single NIC to run from the router(or switch behind the router depending on how the setup ends up) to run router to computer and then on to the POE switch for the cameras correct? Or will I be better off putting a 4 to 8 slot switch just past the router and plugging in the computer running BlueIris and then the line going to the POE switch into the switch past the router? Just trying to find best practice here.