BlueIris memory leak?

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by MingoDynasty, Jun 13, 2016.

Share This Page

1. camera5690

camera5690 n3wb

I'm in a similar situation as Tygunn - i7-4790, 16 GB RAM, HD4600, have been going between .5058 and .5063 and still eating up all memory within a day or so. Fresh install of Windows, only other things running are BI Tools and DrivePool. BI 5. Will start trying older drivers and report if I find one that works.

2. camera5690

camera5690 n3wb

Went to 5063 at the same time as I uninstalled DrivePool and at least for the past 8 hours, memory usage has been holding steady, same with CPU and video. I'll report back with more info. I'll likely hardware RAID 1 the drives and be done with it. Storage Spaces and DrivePool seem good on paper but the more CPU I can give to BI the better.

3. Tygunn

Tygunn Pulling my weight

My fresh install has been running at 38% ram consumption for over a week now. I'll post the driver versions when I get home.

4. pov2

pov2 Getting the hang of it

What's consuming the memory? Blue Iris or something else? Why did you mention other software. This thread is about BI only. Please check in Task Manager which process is consuming the memory. If it's not BI it's irrelevant to the subject of this thread. It's also irrelevant if hardware acceleration is not turned on in BI.

5. camera5690

camera5690 n3wb

With both installed I was experiencing the issue regardless of which driver (5058 or 5063) was installed. BI only, and 5063 only, and memory consumption is the same 12 hours later. While the issue was happening, BI was the process that was consuming the memory to the point of crash, and BI GPU processor usage would go down while CPU went up while this was happening.

6. pov2

What's your processor model number?

7. pov2

I don't see how the two pieces of software are related. Windows isolates processes. If BI is consuming memory, it's BI only, nothing else. Is DrivePool even using the GPU? I am not familiar with it but by the description of it it shouldn't. Unless someone can provide an explanation how another program can affect BI's memory consumption I would think DrivePool's presence or absence on the same machine is irrelevant and it was a coincidence that the removal of DrivePool somehow affected BI's memory consumption.

In your hardware acceleration settings is it "Intel" only?

8. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Getting comfortable

I don’t know what drivepool but but if BI is making use of resources that it offers then directly or indirectly it could affect memory usage/leakage but i would expect to see that usage against drivepool and not bi?

9. Furious1y

Furious1y n3wb

Hi all,
    I think I may have found a potential fix for some :)

I'd been plagued with this problem for ages, even starting to look into alternative products as the memory leak was so bad that my install would literally crash every other hour.

I'd tried:
    Disabling all acceleration
    Removing BI tools just in case
    Installing 10 different versions of the HD drivers
    Removing and doing a clean install of BI
    Various disabling of windows services to reduce interaction of BI with anything windows based

Nothing worked. Once I imported the camera settings, I'd get a 1mb per minute memory leak.

So, I tried to see if the cameras were the problem - I have 2 reolink 420s on this server. Disabling one slowed the leak, disabling both STOPPED the leak.

Interesting.... so then I started to play with encoding settings, etc.

What fixed it for me was that both cameras resolution was set to blank - on the video tab, the format was blank, so setting anamorphic (force size) and setting it to the drop down value of 1920 x 1072 stopped the leak completely.
    Looks like there's a problem with how BI decodes regardless of acceleration, probably not handling non standard resolutions and therefore not reclaiming the memory used....

bp2008 and nejakejnick like this.
  10. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

The cameras are a problem, avoid Reolink junk like the plague.

ACLP Ed likes this.
  11. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

You should email support with this information.

SouthernYankee and pov2 like this.
  12. pov2

While I agree with this statement it was not Reolink's fault based on the explanation. It might have been partially. Maybe Reolink cameras sent blank resolution to BI but BI should handle this gracefully and not just accept BS from BS cameras. @Furious1y, please contact BI support as @fenderman suggested.

13. Natey2

Natey2 Young grasshopper

Memory leaks in applications (esp web apps) are common. Sometimes you just open a web browser on some website and leave it for a day, you will see the browser process consuming memory steadily until you close it.

I'm on BI v5.0.1.0 (was on v4), and I run it on a non-dedicated 4th generation Core i7 desktop PC with 16GB RAM 24/7 for days/weeks, and I don't see anything that would be a cause for major concern here.

But I only have 2 sub-par cameras using RTSP over WiFi with BI. If I were doing this professionally/commercially and had all those high-end PoE cameras and if BI was leaking significant memory, I would not be a happy camper.

Sent using Tapatalk