BlueIris memory leak?

camera5690

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation as Tygunn - i7-4790, 16 GB RAM, HD4600, have been going between .5058 and .5063 and still eating up all memory within a day or so. Fresh install of Windows, only other things running are BI Tools and DrivePool. BI 5. Will start trying older drivers and report if I find one that works.

camera5690

n3wb
Reaction score
Went to 5063 at the same time as I uninstalled DrivePool and at least for the past 8 hours, memory usage has been holding steady, same with CPU and video. I'll report back with more info. I'll likely hardware RAID 1 the drives and be done with it. Storage Spaces and DrivePool seem good on paper but the more CPU I can give to BI the better.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My fresh install has been running at 38% ram consumption for over a week now. I'll post the driver versions when I get home.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Went to 5063 at the same time as I uninstalled DrivePool and at least for the past 8 hours, memory usage has been holding steady, same with CPU and video. I'll report back with more info. I'll likely hardware RAID 1 the drives and be done with it. Storage Spaces and DrivePool seem good on paper but the more CPU I can give to BI the better.
What's consuming the memory? Blue Iris or something else? Why did you mention other software. This thread is about BI only. Please check in Task Manager which process is consuming the memory. If it's not BI it's irrelevant to the subject of this thread. It's also irrelevant if hardware acceleration is not turned on in BI.

camera5690

n3wb
Reaction score
With both installed I was experiencing the issue regardless of which driver (5058 or 5063) was installed. BI only, and 5063 only, and memory consumption is the same 12 hours later. While the issue was happening, BI was the process that was consuming the memory to the point of crash, and BI GPU processor usage would go down while CPU went up while this was happening.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With both installed I was experiencing the issue regardless of which driver (5058 or 5063) was installed. BI only, and 5063 only, and memory consumption is the same 12 hours later. While the issue was happening, BI was the process that was consuming the memory to the point of crash, and BI GPU processor usage would go down while CPU went up while this was happening.
I don't see how the two pieces of software are related. Windows isolates processes. If BI is consuming memory, it's BI only, nothing else. Is DrivePool even using the GPU? I am not familiar with it but by the description of it it shouldn't. Unless someone can provide an explanation how another program can affect BI's memory consumption I would think DrivePool's presence or absence on the same machine is irrelevant and it was a coincidence that the removal of DrivePool somehow affected BI's memory consumption.

In your hardware acceleration settings is it "Intel" only?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t know what drivepool but but if BI is making use of resources that it offers then directly or indirectly it could affect memory usage/leakage but i would expect to see that usage against drivepool and not bi?

Furious1y

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I think I may have found a potential fix for some :)

I'd been plagued with this problem for ages, even starting to look into alternative products as the memory leak was so bad that my install would literally crash every other hour.

I'd tried:
Disabling all acceleration
Removing BI tools just in case
Installing 10 different versions of the HD drivers
Removing and doing a clean install of BI
Various disabling of windows services to reduce interaction of BI with anything windows based

Nothing worked. Once I imported the camera settings, I'd get a 1mb per minute memory leak.

So, I tried to see if the cameras were the problem - I have 2 reolink 420s on this server. Disabling one slowed the leak, disabling both STOPPED the leak.

Interesting.... so then I started to play with encoding settings, etc.

What fixed it for me was that both cameras resolution was set to blank - on the video tab, the format was blank, so setting anamorphic (force size) and setting it to the drop down value of 1920 x 1072 stopped the leak completely.
Looks like there's a problem with how BI decodes regardless of acceleration, probably not handling non standard resolutions and therefore not reclaiming the memory used....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd been plagued with this problem for ages, even starting to look into alternative products as the memory leak was so bad that my install would literally crash every other hour.

I'd tried:
Various disabling of windows services to reduce interaction of BI with anything windows based

Nothing worked. Once I imported the camera settings, I'd get a 1mb per minute memory leak.

So, I tried to see if the cameras were the problem - I have 2 reolink 420s on this server. Disabling one slowed the leak, disabling both STOPPED the leak.

What fixed it for me was that both cameras resolution was set to blank - on the video tab, the format was blank, so setting anamorphic (force size) and setting it to the drop down value of 1920 x 1072 stopped the leak completely.
Looks like there's a problem with how BI decodes regardless of acceleration, probably not handling non standard resolutions and therefore not reclaiming the memory used....
The cameras are a problem, avoid Reolink junk like the plague.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd tried:

You should email support with this information.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras are a problem, avoid Reolink junk like the plague.
While I agree with this statement it was not Reolink's fault based on the explanation. It might have been partially. Maybe Reolink cameras sent blank resolution to BI but BI should handle this gracefully and not just accept BS from BS cameras. @Furious1y, please contact BI support as @fenderman suggested.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I started experiencing memory leak problems within the last couple of days. I don't know if this is linked to one of the blue iris updates or Windows updates. I have followed the wiki and tried the recommended Intel driver (Intel530) as well as a few others. been running blue iris for a while, no changes made by me. Direct to disc, hardware acceleration. Mostly Dahua cameras, a couple crap foscams, just cuz I had them laying around. So, same setup, new memory leak. Any thoughts?

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am also having a problem. RAM usage keeps rising. intel 4770k haswell with intel graphics. Have changed graphics driver but no luck. Didn’t notice until I added a Dahua camera, but am unsure if that had anything to do with it. Don’t see why it would.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe I solved my problem. I was writing new clips to an external HD (Lacie D2 Pro) that was failing, I believe BI was choking as it could not transfer the files as it should have (I was also getting many clip write errors). I have since installed an internal 10TB Toshiba S300 purpose built HD and now the machine works smooth again. so if you think you're having Blue Iris memory leaks, look into your storage performance. I hope this helps someone out there with similar issues.

zosobao

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Will do.

I believe I solved my problem. I was writing new clips to an external HD (Lacie D2 Pro) that was failing, I believe BI was choking as it could not transfer the files as it should have (I was also getting many clip write errors). I have since installed an internal 10TB Toshiba S300 purpose built HD and now the machine works smooth again. so if you think you're having Blue Iris memory leaks, look into your storage performance. I hope this helps someone out there with similar issues.