BlueIris - NVDEC & Recorded Clips are Black on All Computers Except BI PC

watanxa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - I just set up a new old computer with a fresh installation of Windows 10 1909 and the very latest Blue Iris 5.3.3.3.

The system has an nVidia GTX 1050 video card and an i5-4670 with 16GB of RAM. Performance with a mix of 22 4K, HD and SD cameras is now excellent with CPU hovering between 30 and 60%.

I have enabled nVidia NVDEC for all of the cameras, and when clips are recorded, they are playable on the BlueIris PC, both through BlueIris itself and when I open a web browser on the same PC, where I can successfully play recorded clips through UI3.

However, no other computers can play back the clips - I've tried them on a Mac (Chrome, Firefox), other Windows 10 PCs (with Intel graphics), and the iOS BlueIris app. The clip still image is visible in the alerts list, but when you play it, it's just entirely black. The progress time bar advances as if it's playing (if it's a 20 second clip, it will advance with the elapsed time increasing each second or 20 seconds, for example).

When I turn OFF NVDEC for a camera, and then I trigger a recording on that camera, I can successfully play back that camera's clips on all other computers and iOS devices. But as soon as I turn back on NVDEC, the recorded clips are black.

This is with direct to disc recording, but I also tried this with re-encoding to H264. This also did not work and the re-encoded clips were also black.

Is this a known issue? Shouldn't these recordings be playable on other computers even with NVDEC turned on? On the previous PC I used, I used the Intel hardware decoding and didn't have any issues like this.

I also installed the latest nVIdia studio driver, version 456.38 with no change.

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure about this problem.

I do not use the nVidia for video processing. I use inVidia to drive my BI display only. I use my I7-4790 CPU to do my video processing with quicksync.

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)