BlueIris recorded video from Foscam

Cougar281

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Foscam FI8910W camera that I have set up, but there's a problem with the recording. The live feed is fine and normal, but the recordings look more or less like the video was split in the middle and rolled (best way I can describe it). The recorded video looks like the top and bottom of it is joined along the middle of the screen. Any ideas on this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Foscam FI8910W camera that I have set up, but there's a problem with the recording. The live feed is fine and normal, but the recordings look more or less like the video was split in the middle and rolled (best way I can describe it). The recorded video looks like the top and bottom of it is joined along the middle of the screen. Any ideas on this?
Yes you incorrectly set it up as a 360 cam... avoid foscam it's crap..

Cougar281

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you incorrectly set it up as a 360 cam... avoid foscam it's crap..
I must be missing something. In the 'Video' tab for the camera, under 'image format', there is a '360' option, but it's set to 'no'. Like I said, live is fine in the live view, ONLY the recordings are messed up.

As far as Foscams being crap... can't really argue with you there. But at the same time you have to be careful with most IP cameras coming out of China. You're best bet for ALL IP cameras is make sure they can't get to the internet (JMO). But this one was given to me and it works for what I'm using it for. Would just like to get the recordings sorted out. But the Speco 4MP IP Camera I just got and hooked in to Blue Iris blows it and my existing 1080 AHD cameras away.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I must be missing something. In the 'Video' tab for the camera, under 'image format', there is a '360' option, but it's set to 'no'. Like I said, live is fine in the live view, ONLY the recordings are messed up.

As far as Foscams being crap... can't really argue with you there. But at the same time you have to be careful with most IP cameras coming out of China. You're best bet for ALL IP cameras is make sure they can't get to the internet (JMO). But this one was given to me and it works for what I'm using it for. Would just like to get the recordings sorted out. But the Speco 4MP IP Camera I just got and hooked in to Blue Iris blows it and my existing 1080 AHD cameras away.
post an image or video...delete the camera in blue iris and set it up again...also ensure hardware acceleration/decoding is disabled as that camera does not support h.264..for 50 bux you can replace it with a 1080p hikvision clone..
sorry to tell you this but there are great ip cameras coming from china see this forum..your speco camera is direct from china and likely a Dahua...
The issue with foscam is not that its from china...its garbage hardware and garbage firmware

Cougar281

n3wb
Reaction score
post an image or video...delete the camera in blue iris and set it up again...also ensure hardware acceleration/decoding is disabled as that camera does not support h.264..for 50 bux you can replace it with a 1080p hikvision clone..
sorry to tell you this but there are great ip cameras coming from china see this forum..your speco camera is direct from china and likely a Dahua...
The issue with foscam is not that its from china...its garbage hardware and garbage firmware
I've attached an image of what the recordings looked like. Oddly, removing and re-adding it fixed it. What it looks like certainly fits your comment about the 360 setting, but like I said, it was set to 'no' and I never changed it to no, so I don't know. Anyway, it appears to be working right now.

And yes, no argument that there are good cameras coming out of China (what doesn't come from China these days?)- but frankly, I'd be leery of the firmware in ALL of them from what I've read/heard Even the Speco (which according to my supplier, is actually made by Dahua). Even Barracuda devices it seems tend to 'call home' to suspicious addresses in China. As far as HikVision, I have a good friend that works in security for a credit card company... He's said more than once, stay away from Hikvision as they are super vulnerable (he specifically called them out without mention of their name, so they must be a massive security red flag). But I feel that 'staying away' may be a tad over the top - as long as you do it right... Let's be honest, if you have a good product like Blue Iris pulling video from the cameras and handling your recording/monitoring, there's no reason for them to even be able to get to the internet, so just make sure it's impossible for them to do so. Even better, stick them on their own VLAN where they can't get ANYWHERE if you can. I haven't gone the route of the separate VLAN yet, but both the Foscam and the Speco are explicitly blocked from getting to the internet, so neither of them can try to 'call home' if they're so inclined. As I add more IP cameras, I'll end up adding a 'Cameras' VLAN that can't go anywhere, which will be similar to but even more restrictive than my 'IoT' VLAN.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All cameras are vulnerable...if you properly setup a Hikvision it's just as secure as any other..

Cougar281

n3wb
Reaction score
All cameras are vulnerable...if you properly setup a Hikvision it's just as secure as any other..
True... with one caveat (or set of caveats). You can't assume that a few clicks in the web interface will completely disable all 'call home' functions and whatever else there may be. Some Foscams, for example, require that you update it with specific firmware to 'supposedly' stop it from calling home. Granted, that's Foscam, but that doesn't mean there aren't others that do the same things. But there are a LOT of people that just stick cameras up and don't give any thought to security, vulnerabilities, etc.

In the end, for anyone that doesn't want cameras calling home, the safest bet, regardless of who makes them, is to block its access to the internet at the firewall level. Again, if you have Blue Iris pulling the video feeds, the cameras don't need to get ANYWHERE, so if you have the ability to restrict access so the cameras can't get anywhere but LAN can get to cameras, that's your best bet. If a camera (or other device) can't get to the internet, and it can't be accessed directly from the internet, any vulnerability it may have is pretty much mitigated.

(For anyone reading, sorry for the security segway)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This has all been discussed many times over on this Forum..I don't need a lesson on vpn...or network security...
my point was your foscam is outdated junk... your speco is Dahua.. search the forum and the web for dahua vulnerabilities...

Last edited:

PajamaGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Try going into the 8910's web interface, click "defaults", in-check flip & mirror, delete it from BI and try again. Or use the 8910 interface to reset to factory.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try going into the 8910's web interface, click "defaults", in-check flip & mirror, delete it from BI and try again. Or use the 8910 interface to reset to factory.
He resolved the problem...