BlueIris Server Hardware

Reaction score
Hello all-

I'm new and looking to build a server for BlueIris. I have a few spare older HP servers (xeon X5675) that I hoped to use but I've been reading their not great choices due to their age and lack of integrated graphics. I am looking for a 1U server and hoping to keep the price as reasonable as possible (used is more than OK). Does anybody have any suggestions? Below are the details of the setup.

-Server will be running windows server 2012
-8x 1.3MP HikVision cameras will be connected.
-Will almost exclusively be recording and watching on a TV/iPhone/webpage

Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I'm new and looking to build a server for BlueIris. I have a few spare older HP servers (xeon X5675) that I hoped to use but I've been reading their not great choices due to their age and lack of integrated graphics. I am looking for a 1U server and hoping to keep the price as reasonable as possible (used is more than OK). Does anybody have any suggestions? Below are the details of the setup.

Thanks in advance!
dont waste your time money building anything...buy an i5-6500 skylake system (optiplex or elitedesk) for about 300 with windows 10 pro...

Reaction score
dont waste your time money building anything...buy an i5-6500 skylake system (optiplex or elitedesk) for about 300 with windows 10 pro...
Thank you for the feedback. Anything rack mountable you can suggest? Either, the recommended system won't have any issues with 8 cameras? Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. Anything rack mountable you can suggest? Either, the recommended system won't have any issues with 8 cameras? Thanks!
You will be seriously overpaying for the ability to rack mount...makes no sense. 8 1.3mp cameras is a very low load. If you have not purchased the camera you should look at 1080p.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Again, thank you! Anywhere you can recommend finding one (used even) on the cheap? I shouldn't need room for anything other than an SSD because I'll be connecting it to a NAS for storage purposes.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your local. But Ebay or DellOutlet is a good start.

No reason you couldn't put a shelf in your rack and place the pc on it's side on said shelf.

I just purchased an Optiplex small form factor from dell outlet, it measures 11"x11" x4.2"

Reaction score
Ya, I was having a harder time on Ebay than I thought I would. And delloutlet doesn't have any i5 machines. My rack is on the smaller side (I think 22U) so space is at a premium!

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all-

Thanks in advance!
You existing x5675 servers are More than enough to run what you want, and at 1080p. You'll probably see 30-40% cpu utilization even with full frame motion detection on.

Your benchmark is over 8k.

In running a win7 laptop with 4k benchmark, without being assisted by the gfx card, and my cpu never goes above 75%. Usually its 30-50%. I have 10 1080p cams running full frame motion detection at 10fps on most, 15fps on 2, and 20fps on 1

If you feel the desire to spend money and buy a lower powered system to get the same results then buy a new one... But you will not benefit from it and your power consumption will only save you $10/year. 30 year payback

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You existing x5675 servers are More than enough to run what you want, and at 1080p. You'll probably see 30-40% cpu utilization even with full frame motion detection on.

Your benchmark is over 8k.

In running a win7 laptop with 4k benchmark, without being assisted by the gfx card, and my cpu never goes above 75%. Usually its 30-50%. I have 10 1080p cams running full frame motion detection at 10fps on most, 15fps on 2, and 20fps on 1

If you feel the desire to spend money and buy a lower powered system to get the same results then buy a new one... But you will not benefit from it and your power consumption will only save you $10/year. 30 year payback

You have got no clue. The older single/dual processor servers consumer 200-300+w under moderate load. The yearly savings can be 400-500 dollars. Those old servers also DO NOT perform well with blue iris..this can be seen over and over again in many threads and posts. A 300 dollar machine with an i5-6500 will pay for itself in less than a year, be more reliable, no noise, and produce much less heat.

Reaction score
Thanks LTek. I was thinking I should'nt have a problem with my current server (dual Xeon x5675s and 72gb ram). I'm going to go ahead and give it a try.

Now, windows 7, 10, or a server version for BlueIris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks LTek. I was thinking I should'nt have a problem with my current server (dual Xeon x5675s and 72gb ram). I'm going to go ahead and give it a try.

see my post above..dont do it. ltek has no idea what he is talking about and constantly has issues with his system if you look at his posts. Trust me on this one. Spend 300 and buy an i5-6500 or support your local electric company. Dont believe me, buy a killawatt meter and put it on your server. Run blue iris on w10

Reaction score
I have no problem with the electricity, heat, or noise but am worried about performance. If the older server won't perform it's a non starter.

Reaction score
Haha, no, but I'm willing to work with it. I think your calculations are a bit off too. 200watts running 24/7 should only cost about $150-200/year total.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Ignore Fendermans rants. While he has good knowledge of BI software, he just likes to argue.

By his own statement... If your server ran at 300w 24hrs a day, the yearly kWh is 2656. At 11 cents per kWh (most people pay 9 cents)... The electricity cost is 295/yr.

Of course, he assumes what your server draw is. He has no real data about the system... And neither do I. We have completely imaginary cost of your electricity to run your system.

You could look it up but many systems ran very efficiently for thier time. I've seen older system as low as 65w at mid power and up to 200 when loaded with a decent amt memory and old hdds. Rule of thumb is take your power supply max rating and 30% of that is the norm for a moderate sold configuration

Btw, you might want to pull out a cpu and back down to 16gb ram. The rest is unnecessary for only BI

... But don't take my word for it. Looks up your specs if you want to know for sure.

HP published all those in quickspecs. Dell did to, but often harder to find.

... Btw, I could be full of it or maybe my years as an engineer, consultant, and product design, at Microsoft, Dell and HP (chief Technologist) has given me experience in this area. I'll let you decide if I can be trusted

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, no, but I'm willing to work with it. I think your calculations are a bit off too. 200watts running 24/7 should only cost about $150-200/year total.
You are wrong..What state do you live in?