BlueIris Server Hardware

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ignore Fendermans rants. While he has good knowledge of BI software, he just likes to argue.

By his own statement... If your server ran at 300w 24hrs a day, the yearly kWh is 2656. At 11 cents per kWh (most people pay 9 cents)... The electricity cost is 295/yr.

Of course, he assumes what your server draw is. He has no real data about the system... And neither do I. We have completely imaginary cost of your electricity to run your system.

You could look it up but many systems ran very efficiently for thier time. I've seen older system as low as 65w at mid power and up to 200 when loaded with a decent amt memory and old hdds. Rule of thumb is take your power supply max rating and 30% of that is the norm for a moderate sold configuration

Btw, you might want to pull out a cpu and back down to 16gb ram. The rest is unnecessary for only BI

... But don't take my word for it. Looks up your specs if you want to know for sure.

HP published all those in quickspecs. Dell did to, but often harder to find.

... Btw, I could be full of it or maybe my years as an engineer, consultant, and product design, at Microsoft, Dell and HP (chief Technologist) has given me experience in this area. I'll let you decide if I can be trusted

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Once again posting false and misleading information. First, its clear that you are not a "technologist" since its self evident in your past posts that you have little to no technical skill.
Second, "most people" DONT bay 9 cents a kwh..the most heavly populated states, california, new york, new jersey etc have the highest rates. With taxes delivery and fees you are looking at at least 20 cents. Even if the system only drew 200w at load you are looking at 349 for the year...hell you can buy a used i5-4590 system for about 200 bux.
I guess when you stated that "you will not benefit from it and your power consumption will only save you $10/year. 30 year payback " you were using your skills as an engineer to come up with those numbers....
I have tested many of these machines on a killawatt meter and I can tell you that you have ZERO clue. So much so that I am confident that you are lying about your credentials.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I went from windows 7 to 10, and CPU utilization dropped way down.
And you can still get free windows 10 upgrades with assistive technology.

So I would go with windows 10.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I went from windows 7 to 10, and CPU utilization dropped way down.
And you can still get free windows 10 upgrades with assistive technology.

So I would go with windows 10.
the os wont make much of a difference in cpu consumption, you likely enabled hardware acceleration..

Reaction score
Electricity where I live is anywhere from 7.5-9.5 cents. I'm not negating the cost savings from a more efficient system I'm really only concerned with whether or not the older server will perform ok. At this point I think I'm going to try it out since there's no upfront cost. I will report back in a few weeks when it's set up!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Electricity where I live is anywhere from 7.5-9.5 cents. I'm not negating the cost savings from a more efficient system I'm really only concerned with whether or not the older server will perform ok. At this point I think I'm going to try it out since there's no upfront cost. I will report back in a few weeks when it's set up!
even at 180 a year you are pissing it away....a modern system will sip 25w

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love how you throw out numbers with zero data backing up your claims.

By Dells own measurements...
The lowest powered sff optiplex ranges from 13w (newest intels) to 37w (several gen back) ... And 55w to 78w under 75% load.
Thier own conclusion is the Best Case is a 63% power savings.
... That cpu dell rated is only 25% the benchmark of even a single xeon cpu the op has.
Also, xeon had good power saving capabilities on its own. Putting cores into low power states when not used.
The op would save electricity... But probably in the neighborhood of 50-100 a year if running a single xeon cpu... And he'd also have a pc with 25%of the horsepower.
I'm done, the op seems pretty smart... He's going to use what he has unless he sees a compelling reason not too.

Btw... I run BI on a laptop, so I'm labeled an idiot by Fender... But funny thing is that my laptop has an Intel cpu with an equal benchmark to the i5-6500 he recommended in this thread. I got the laptop free, not because I was saving electricity

Signed,
'Fender says I'm not a Technologist '

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I love how you throw out numbers with zero data backing up your claims.

By Dells own measurements...
The lowest powered sff optiplex ranges from 13w (newest intels) to 37w (several gen back) ... And 55w to 78w under 75% load.
Thier own conclusion is the Best Case is a 63% power savings.
... That cpu dell rated is only 25% the benchmark of even a single xeon cpu the op has.
Also, xeon had good power saving capabilities on its own. Putting cores into low power states when not used.
The op would save electricity... But probably in the neighborhood of 50-100 a year if running a single xeon cpu... And he'd also have a pc with 25%of the horsepower.
I'm done, the op seems pretty smart... He's going to use what he has unless he sees a compelling reason not too.

Btw... I run BI on a laptop, so I'm labeled an idiot by Fender... But funny thing is that my laptop has an Intel cpu with an equal benchmark to the i5-6500 he recommended in this thread. I got the laptop free, not because I was saving electricity

Signed,
'Fender says I'm not a Technologist '

I have data, I have tested these system. Hell even my old dell q6600 idled at over 100w. The newest optiplexs may IDLE at 13w not under load. WRONG AGAIN.
The old dual core systems are 200-300w under load EASY and single core at LEAST 175. Remember they need discrete video as well. All cores are used in BI, there is no low power state.
You really have ZERO clue. Stop wating members money.
You are an idoit for running on a laptop. Your laptop DOES NOT benchmark the same as an i5-6500.
New BI setup - 9 cams; 50% CPU load w/ DTD or Encode on i5
This is your laptop processor https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4300U+@+1.90GHz
it is SLOWER than a haswell i3...and as less than HALF the power of an i5-6500
Also remember that passmark is not reflective of all the benefits a modern cpu has to offer .
You HAVE and continue to have issues with your setup. To hide this you posted on another website until I called you out on it.
Not only are you not a technologist, you are a liar and continue to LIE about your credentials. STOP misleading the folks here.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did make an error on the benchmark of the i5-6500, it's over 7k and my laptop is 3737.
But my laptop runs BI and 10x 1080p cams with full frame motion detection perfectly fine at an average of 30 to 40 percent cpu. I have zero (none, Nada one) issue running BI on that cpu. My issue was with Kodi, and only when they were borh running at the same time. Likely Cpu threading priorities conflicts.

Back to the op... A single xeon he has will be 2 to 3 times the horsepower he needs. Buying a new system will provide no benefit and his payback is at least 2 years, best case if he has expensive electric costs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did make an error on the benchmark of the i5-6500, it's over 7k and my laptop is 3737.
But my laptop runs BI and 10x 1080p cams with full frame motion detection perfectly fine at an average of 30 to 40 percent cpu. I have zero (none, Nada one) issue running BI on that cpu. My issue was with Kodi, and only when they were borh running at the same time. Likely Cpu threading priorities conflicts.

Back to the op... A single xeon he has will be 2 to 3 times the horsepower he needs. Buying a new system will provide no benefit and his payback is at least 2 years, best case if he has expensive electric costs.

WRONG AGAIN. Buying a new system will pay for itself in a year. He doesnt even need a 300 dollar system. If he gets this for 130 it will pay for itself in a few months. You simply have no clue. You obviously dont even have a grasp on intel cpu nomenclature. Only a complete idiot would run an old powerhog server to support their local electic utility.
For an engineer, you dont seem to have a graps on numbers or accuracy. First the savings was only 10 dollars a month, now its more. Then you dont understand basic intel cpu ratings and numberings...sheesh...
Its is also VERY improtant to note, that 7 year old xeon processor that benchmarks at the same numbers a modern processor will NOT perform equally the same...go take a read about what the passmark benchmark actually measures.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF Quad Core i5-3470 3.2GHz 4GB RAM 250GB HDD | eBay
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF Quad Core i5-3470 3.2GHz 4GB RAM 250GB HDD

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Again, thank you all. While I appreciate the continued discussion regarding efficiency and electricity cost, I was really only trying to determine if my current machine would run the software well. At this point, I am willing to give it a try. My backup is the processsor above that I can get from a buddy but I'd prefer to use what I have, even if it uses a bit more electricity. And, it has two Xeon x5675 processors. Will keep you all posted on how the setup performs. If it isn't up to the task, I'll be more than ok upgrading to a newer generation machine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, thank you all. While I appreciate the continued discussion regarding efficiency and electricity cost, I was really only trying to determine if my current machine would run the software well. At this point, I am willing to give it a try. My backup is the processsor above that I can get from a buddy but I'd prefer to use what I have, even if it uses a bit more electricity. And, it has two Xeon x5675 processors. Will keep you all posted on how the setup performs. If it isn't up to the task, I'll be more than ok upgrading to a newer generation machine.
Once again its not about whether its up to the task. Its about wasting your money. I cannot stress this enough..even if you wont listen...someone else thinking of doing this and reading it here will.. You are literally burning your money. why dont you buy a killawatt meter and see for yourself. That 130 dollar machine i linked to will outperform your old powerhog server by more than double (hardware acceleration)...

Reaction score
Fenderman - it is all about whether it's up for the task. That is EXACTLY what I am asking. Somebody reading this thread will clearly see both that and the fact that you will burn a lot more energy going this route.

While not a great analogy, it's like telling somebody who owns a Ferrari and wants to know if it will get them across the county that they should buy a used Prius because it will save them money and pay itself back on the one trip alone.

Again I appreciate the discussion and get your point. This server will likely be running something if not BlueIris so that's even more reason to consider it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman - it is all about whether it's up for the task. That is EXACTLY what I am asking. Somebody reading this thread will clearly see both that and the fact that you will burn a lot more energy going this route.

While not a great analogy, it's like telling somebody who owns a Ferrari and wants to know if it will get them across the county that they should buy a used Prius because it will save them money and pay itself back on the one trip alone.

Again I appreciate the discussion and get your point. This server will likely be running something if not BlueIris so that's even more reason to consider it.
Not its not the same....since if you buy the 8300 you will make your money back in a few months...the server you use should be DEDICATED to blue iris. if you mean you will be using that server for another task 24/7 the SAME concept applies...its not only worthless it COSTS you money to run. You can buy a replacement and save money...there is ZERO logic in user that server for anything it belongs in a trash bin.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was surprised, but when I installed w10, it made a significant difference in CPU usage as reported by BI, without making other changes. At least 10% if I remember correctly.
Of course, YMMV.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised, but when I installed w10, it made a significant difference in CPU usage as reported by BI, without making other changes. At least 10% if I remember correctly.
Of course, YMMV.
there was another change...I have updated many machines and there is no difference.

Reaction score
Not its not the same....since if you buy the 8300 you will make your money back in a few months...the server you use should be DEDICATED to blue iris. if you mean you will be using that server for another task 24/7 the SAME concept applies...its not only worthless it COSTS you money to run. You can buy a replacement and save money...there is ZERO logic in user that server for anything it belongs in a trash bin.
Fenderman - I ended up getting an older i5-3470 from my brother. What are your thoughts on how it will handle my setup? Also note that I'll be adding 3 additional indoor cameras so it will be 10 total. For the indoor cameras, I'm thinking ubiquiti.

Reaction score
Fenderman - I ended up getting an older i5-3470 from my brother. What are your thoughts on how it will handle my setup? Also note that I'll be adding 3 additional indoor cameras so it will be 10 total. For the indoor cameras, I'm thinking ubiquiti.
Scratch the ubiquiti I'll probably do Hikvision indoor domes. Cheaper and appear to be better.

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts? I just ordered 4x Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I that will be added to the setup. So we're now looking at 11 total cameras.