Blueiris Service randomly stops/crashes 2-3 times per week since upgrading to v5

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Problem:
Since upgrading to v5 2-3 times each week I've been unable to reach the BI service from my phone on both the LAN and WAN. When I investigate by logging into my BI PC I found that the BI service had stopped.

Background:
I've been running BI on my PC for several years in the current configuration without any significant issues. Problem only began after upgrade to v5.

System Information:
Processor: Intel i5-4670k @ 3.4Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
BI Version: 5.2.7.3

System Logs:
A check of the system logs yielded:

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.2.7.3, time stamp: 0x5eb0b3f1
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x545055fe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001993c
Faulting process id: 0x2460
Faulting application start time: 0x01d622dbfe0506c9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
Report Id: 3bd2f3b8-8ecf-11ea-82b9-18a6f701464c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

APPCRASH
Not available
BlueIris.exe
5eb0b3f1
msvcrt.dll
545055fe
c0000005
000000000001993c

C:\Windows\Temp\WERA47C.tmp.appcompat.txt C:\Windows\Temp\WERA49C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_BlueIris.exe_fb4c7b9c56b3ca98dd6411efa24e155ad31be93a_966a594d_cab_4075a49a\memory.hdmp C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_BlueIris.exe_fb4c7b9c56b3ca98dd6411efa24e155ad31be93a_966a594d_cab_4075a49a\triagedump.dmp
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_BlueIris.exe_fb4c7b9c56b3ca98dd6411efa24e155ad31be93a_966a594d_cab_4075a49a

3bd2f3b8-8ecf-11ea-82b9-18a6f701464c

Solutions Tried Thus Far:
I've tried uninstalling BI completely, then re-installing and restoring settings but the issue continues.

No other software or hardware changes to the box in the last couple of years (well before this issue popped up).

Any one seeing this on their end as well? Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try to resolve this?

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to avoid Windows10, but if that is the only solution I may do that. Thanks for chiming in!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is dying 2-3 times a week, i doubt that it can be the BI version, as it has only been out 1 day. I would start with a clean install. Then pick a stable BI version.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine does this but I’m on W10 and has been doing this for quite a few months now. Mine either crashes in the BlueIris executable or in the VC runtime. I’ve logged it with Ken who amended the code to write more details to the logs which I’ve reported back a few times.

Only difference for me is that when the service crashes it auto restarts.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Other obscure things to validate / evaluate
  • Software things to check
  • BI5 was installed into 'new' (different) directory than BI4
  • before BI5 was installed, BI4 had "start as service" disabled
  • BI5 was installed using an Administrator account
  • -
  • Hardware things to check
  • reset memory modules on motherboard
  • run a memory test; mdsched, memtest86, etc
  • set a fixed virtual memory amount, rather than allowing Windows to manage it automatically
  • Admin Command Box - MRT
  • Admin Command Box - sfc /scannow

If nothing pops up as a likely suspect, it's probably worthwhile to start over with a clean install of Windows

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, Also not only Admin Command box sfc /scannow

You should also run this from admin command box. Also right in this order as well..

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then run Sfc /scannow

This sometime take multiple passes of sfc /scannow to clear up things.

hope it hleps Also if not already done offcourse update all the driver / bios and os patches :)

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Other obscure things to validate / evaluate
  • -
  • set a fixed virtual memory amount, rather than allowing Windows to manage it automatically

If nothing pops up as a likely suspect, it's probably worthwhile to start over with a clean install of Windows
    • Yes, installed in new directory.
    • Yes, service was stopped and 'start as service' disabled before BI5 install
    • Yes, installs and runs on an Administrator account
    • Memory modules are all good
    • Test is clean
    • Tried, made no difference
    • No malware on box, up to date on AV software, scans daily
    • Clean scan

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For me I trashed my BI4 install and did a clean install of W10 and BI5.

The system ran fine without any issues for months, as I said it seemed to start doing this only a few months ago.

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses folks. So far I've come up empty. I've re-checked everything, scanned everything but haven't identified any problems. I've turned up my monitoring and logging to see if I can glean any further details. If I can't find a root cause to address I shall go the clean install route with Win10.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Had it again last night, I wonder if it’s related to when an update is a available? I thought for a time it was as a result of actually updating, I reported this to Ken but since that it just seems random.

IMG_7491.jpg

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to give an update on my issue as I may have resolved it. In the past I've seen some strange issues caused by Windows permissions so I decided to set BlueIris to run under the original administrator account for the host PC rather than a secondary administrator account I had created for BI. My BlueIris install has been stable since I made this change. Prior to making the change I did try a complete uninstall using Revo Uninstaller followed by a fresh download and re-install. Hard to say which of those actions or a combination thereof resolved my issue. Digging through the windows logs didn't provide me any additional clues despite enabling every logging option I could find. I'll update again if anything changes but for now, I think I have resolved it.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How long has it run for since the change? I've had my system sometimes go for 10 odd days then randomly restart the service.

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
How long has it run for since the change? I've had my system sometimes go for 10 odd days then randomly restart the service.
Been running for about two weeks without issue - fingers crossed it stays that way!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For me I am using the main admin account when I logon and is the same account that runs the service.

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Wanted to give an update to this thread just in case anyone runs into this again. Unfortunately, no matter what I tried the crashes persisted. I finally bit the bullet and completed gutted the server and started over again. Formatted the drives, clean install of Win 10 and the latest version of BI. The other thing I did was completely re-setup my BI. Didn't import the old configuration, did a new one from scratch. Since then, everything has been rock solid. I suspect there may have been some kind of corruption in my old configuration file maybe which caused me a lot of issues after to moving to BI V5. Ironically enough after re-doing my entire config the CPU usage has dropped from a steady 21-25% to 17-20%. All my settings are the same as they were previously so not sure why the performance is better - But I'll take it!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Might have to do this as well. Bit of an issue for me as the PC is headless and in the attic which right now is a cob-webby hot box.

715OP_TLS

n3wb
Reaction score
Might have to do this as well. Bit of an issue for me as the PC is headless and in the attic which right now is a cob-webby hot box.
I totally get that. My server is also headless but fortunately located inside my office so I just had to connect a small LCD monitor to it for the initial O/S install. Once that was completed I just RDP'd into it and reinstalled/configured BI.