Blueiris ssd? Beginning

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

So I plan to have 12 cams with BI.

I would like to know should I install windows and BI in SSD and then connect a 10TB drive via sata as another Drive.

I guess this is what most people do?

I only plan to use BI for that computer.

My question is how much SSD is recommended for the C drive where BI is installed?

1TB?
500 GB?
250GB?

More specific, is it better to a) record via SSD and transfer automatically to the 10tb hard drive (increase speed) or b) recording goes directly to the hard drive (less writing on SSD to eliminate lifespan writing problem)?

My guess if a, ssd can be smallest size. if b SSD should be largest.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run widows 7. I use a 120 gb ssd for windows 7 and bi. The alert folder is on the SSD. My bi new folder is on a dedicated 4 TB purple drive. I do not use the bi stored folder. All recording are continuous. I write all video direct to the hard drive. I have 10 2MP cameras running at 12 FPS. There is no performance issues. I store over a month of data on the 4TB drive.

I do not use the SSD for recording. I believe, (no facts) that it will ware out the SSD. The new folder on the hard drive has 90% space allocated to BI and 10% free. Do not allocate 100% drive space to BI.

Last edited:

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi l4cky,
I use a Kingston 240GB NVMe M.2 2280 (which was on sale on Amazon) for my C drive which has windows 10 Pro and C:\Blueiris\bd
I dedicate only 50GB for for continuous clips and have them moved to a 2TB hdd then finally another 2TB hdd. I want to have the C:\Blueiris\db where the OS and Blue Iris are according to the instruction.

Please see the following video:

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I run widows 7. I use a 120 gb ssd for windows 7 and bi. The alert folder is on the SSD. My bi new folder is on a dedicated 4 TB purple drive. I do not use the bi stored folder. All recording are continuous. I write all video direct to the hard drive. I have 10 2MP cameras running at 12 FPS. There is no performance issues. I store over a month of data on the 4TB drive.

I do not use the SSD for recording. I believe, (no facts) that it will ware out the SSD. The new folder on the hard drive has 90% space allocated to BI and 10% free. Do not allocate 100% drive space to BI.
Thank you for the detailled post.
1. what is the alert folder?
2. Is 12 fps too little? (do you know how much extra % storage will be used per fps added)
3. Is there a reason why would prefer continuous over motion detection?
4. for over a month, do you use 264 or 265 codec?
5. why the 10% so important?

Hi l4cky,
I use a Kingston 240GB NVMe M.2 2280 (which was on sale on Amazon) for my C drive which has windows 10 Pro and C:\Blueiris\bd
I dedicate only 50GB for for continuous clips and have them moved to a 2TB hdd then finally another 2TB hdd. I want to have the C:\Blueiris\db where the OS and Blue Iris are according to the instruction.

Please see the following video:
Thanks for the video! Do you know if the video is complete, or I need to read other articles as well?