blueirissoftware.com website down (2023.07.07)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Even for home use I have a failover service, local recording, and offsite backups. One could say that I have higher operational reliability than BI.

You understood what I meant.

If your definition of "industry" is relegated solely to camera installs, then sure, you got me. But business in the industrial and corporate sector need to meet government, 3rd party, and insurance-based cybersecurity regulations with increasing complexity. I won't make any assumptions about the last time you read thru a NIST special publication regarding securing information systems, but you'd know that special configurations of physical security systems is a requirement for compliance with many infosec frameworks. And so, if managing/deploying/maintaining physical security systems was something I've never done, I wouldn't afford the computer that's being used to send this reply - and that I know for a fact.

It's crazy how much people will lose their collective minds, including site staff, whenever someone calls out operational weaknesses in their NVR of choice. Instead of being celebrated as a learning opportunity for individuals and the developer, discourse is shunned and brushed off as if farmville went down for a few hours. It almost could make one wonder what this site's retail agreement with BI is.
Another clueless trunk slammer proclaiming to be an expert by installing Blue Iris in installations that not only is it not designed for but malpractice to implement..
Nobody including the developer needs your input on how to resolve the problem... He knows there was an issue and has indicated that he's working on a resolution... You bitching about it it's not going to help... The developer does not read this forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if he federal government can' keep their websites secure, what makes you think any site is truly secure
Yes so why don't you write your own code because you could never know...

jmagill

n3wb
Reaction score
I use BI for my home and two small business offices. I can handle those myself and downtime is not a security risk.

I use a company that provides 24-hour service for a larger commercial complex. It is a higher risk and needs that level of service and backup. It costs a lot more than 40.00 a year. Know your needs and get the right product for those needs.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You're right, it is a competitively priced software, but the mentality of "the price is so low that it's exempt from criticism" so many hold about this software is absurd and unsafe, and is what the entirety of my post was about. The developer deserves to hear honest feedback, and potential customers certainly deserve to hear honest information about the product. Maybe someone who's looking to keep an eye on their house and the $27k motorcycle in the garage will look past the complaints, but someone who was considering it for deployment at a multi-million dollar facility will think twice about it. Both are perfectly reasonable when the conversation surrounding its pros/cons is honest.
I don't think anyone is trying to exempt BI from criticism based on the fact that they paid so little for a license. Heck, a free software solution that went through this same scenario should/would be subject to the same criticisms (should have tested backups prior to needing them, etc). What I take issue with are the users coming on here and acting/saying things like, "I paid money for this and it should just work" or "I paid money for this and it is unacceptable that there is any down time" which has been the attitude of several users. Just because you paid for a license doesn't mean the software is going to be perfect and free from issues/downtime. Acting like a "Karen" because you feel entitled due to paying for a license isn't helping solve the problem and certainly isn't a good look for those people acting like this - ESPECIALLY when the license only costs $60-75.

Whether or not this software is appropriate to be deployed at a multi-million dollar facility or at someone's singlewide mobile home they are renting is always up to the "decision makers" involved. Again, there are plenty of other options out there and no one is saying BI is always the best option because it's not the right solution in every scenario. Personally I hope those users that are acting like "Karens" and "threatening" to move to another solution actually follow through and move on to something else. Unfortunately I bet 99% of them eventually come crawling back to BI after they realize what else is out there and so they will live on in this forum to "bitch another day."

Last edited:

iamaven

n3wb
Reaction score
I use BI for my home and two small business offices. I can handle those myself and downtime is not a security risk.

I use a company that provides 24-hour service for a larger commercial complex. It is a higher risk and needs that level of service and backup. It costs a lot more than 40.00 a year. Know your needs and get the right product for those needs.
Yup. Get into the big boys and you are looking at something like Video Surveillance Management System | LenelS2 where there is a team of people managing it, dozens using it, and licensing that is hundreds of thousands a year. Their system goes down too.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but someone who was considering it for deployment at a multi-million dollar facility will think twice about it.
Seriously? lol... A multi million facility counting on a 60 dollar a year program to monitor safety and security? That person might need to be demoted for even thinking about it. Not that Blue Iris wouldn't "potentially" work, but that's likely a bit of a stretch to expect perfection in that application.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Note to self. Check your daily backups routine to see how things are going.
View attachment 167694
Yup. Especially if you don't have email alerts working. I've seen Macrium Reflect get stuck unable to write to a file on a network share because something had the file locked, and that prevents backups from working even when there's nothing at all wrong with any of the hardware.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Note to self. Check your daily backups routine to see how things are going.
Unfortunately, just checking to see if backups are being created isn't enough. You really need to periodically "restore" a backup to see if it is actually working. It's very common for backups to be "created" but not actually be able to restore the data when needed. This is exactly what happened in this situation and it is far too common an occurrence.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, just checking to see if backups are being created isn't enough. You really need to periodically "restore" a backup to see if it is actually working. It's very common for backups to be "created" but not actually be able to restore the data when needed. This is exactly what happened in this situation and it is far too common an occurrence.
+1. There are so many little things that could make restore under pressure take much longer than it should. For example, when I replaced my old office "server" I decided to test the macrium backup/restore on the new machine. I was going to clean install the new machine but wanted to test the swap. There were several issues including moving from MBR to GPT that took a few days of forum surfing to resolve. I had the time because the old server was working. But if it randomly failed it would have been a disaster.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
O
The thing is there are people on V3, V4, and V5 that didn't experience this issue and anyone on V3 or V4 probably are not paying the annual support fee.

I suspect it is some combination of the version people are on and the timing of their purchase. Maybe it is some defect that creeped into the newest updates?

Maybe it was the timing of when they purchased. In a few of the instances people posted that they renewed or bought in February, so maybe something around that timeframe is when something got worked in?

But the developer said he is taking steps to ensure this won't happen again. Let's give him a chance to get people going and I think we will get some sort of explanation. It may not be an explanation to the satisfaction of everyone, but I don't think he will stay completely silent either.
Good morning,
I've been quietly following this thread because I also have evaluation mode plastered on my screens. And just so you know I recently renewed my plan after letting it expire for a while. I bought it to see if there were any good updates and to support the developers. Prior to that, I had absolutely no issues. Anyway, to my understanding, the team is working on a fix and all I need to do is wait for that to happen. Am I correct? Thanks y'all!

Attachments

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
O

Good morning,
I've been quietly following this thread because I also have evaluation mode plastered on my screens. And just so you know I recently renewed my plan after letting it expire for a while. I bought it to see if there were any good updates and to support the developers. Prior to that, I had absolutely no issues. Anyway, to my understanding, the team is working on a fix and all I need to do is wait for that to happen. Am I correct? Thanks y'all!
System is online again. Enter the last key you received when you renewed your support. Search your email for 'blue iris' if you did not record the number in your records

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
System is online again. Enter the last key you received when you renewed your support. Search your email for 'blue iris' if you did not record the number in your records
I did that and got eval mode a day later. Anyway, I punched in the code again this morning and it appears eval mode is gone.
Thanks again.

Attachments