Blurry Video

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After installing a Wansview W9 camera, any movement by something like a dog or person at night with night vision on is blurry. Is this just the way the camera is or can it be some setting. There is no settings in the Wansview Cloud app that I can see. Also I have it set to IR at night and do not want the night color. I am using Blue Iris 5.
Thank you for any advice

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the problem with wifi cameras is when the bitrate ramps up for motion, the wifi cannot keep up so it drops resolution in order to be able to send a video regardless of how poor the quality is.

Or if it is only happening at night, then the camera is adjusting parameters like gain and iframes and shutter speed to favor a nice bright static image that then results in blur with motion. Just like any consumer grade IP POE camera like a Reolink and probably nothing you change to fix it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not if the firmware is designed to favor bright static images over everything else.

It would be worth a temp wire to it just to see, but one would think wifi demands and interferences would be less at night, so if it is fine during the day and problematic at night, it is probably the firmware adjusting parameters to favor bright image.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After installing a Wansview W9 camera, any movement by something like a dog or person at night with night vision on is blurry. Is this just the way the camera is or can it be some setting. There is no settings in the Wansview Cloud app that I can see. Also I have it set to IR at night and do not want the night color. I am using Blue Iris 5.
Thank you for any advice
These cheap cams increase the exposure at night to falsely show you a clear still image. When there is movement its all a blur. Try to see if it lets you set he exposure to 1/60 or 1/120. You may need more light at those settings.

Woody70

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are no options for those settings in the Wansview Cloud app. The camera does have very good night vision except for being blurry on movement. I also have a Tendelux D110 IR Illuminator in the same area, I don't think it has anything to do with the blurred video.

Reaction score
IP cams are no different than sports photography. The two things that impact video quality when movement is present are aperture (how big the lens opening is) and shutter speed (how long the shutter stays open).

Cheep, consumer cams try to get you a good looking static image. They do that in low light by opening up the aperture and slowing the shutter. Opening up the aperture makes the DOF shallow, a narrow distance that is in focus. Slowing the shutter makes movement blurry. Fast shutter freezes action.

If there is no way to adjust these settings, then you are not going to solve your blurry video unless you add enough light to have the cam self-adjust to a faster shutter speed.

The trouble with blasting it with high wattage IR is that you may get enough IR light to lessen the blurriness, but you will probably have IR washout.