Bought the Lorex 8-cam 4K $1599 kit. What other cameras to add?

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and had an old analog camera setup at our hold house. When we built current house, I had ethernet run to 10 locations with the plans of a POE IP camera setup. But I had no idea what exact products I was going to get. Long story short and 1.5 years after we moved in, I finally bought the below kit last week upon mat200's recommendation when I saw it on slickdeals. I installed it last weekend and while I'm a novice compared to you guys, I'm happy with it so far running it out of the box. I've merely mounted, connected, and positioned/zoomed the cameras as I desire. I've run into some issues with ease of playback, decoding multiple cameras at once in playback, etc but that's not why I'm posting.

I'm posting because I'd like to know what recommendations you have to add 2 more cameras to this setup. It came with 8 and I have 10 locations. The NVR is 16-port so I'm good there. The cameras are listed as LNB8973 and LNE8974. What are the actual Dahua model numbers for these? I really enjoy the ability to zoom these exactly to my desired field of view, so I'm very tempted to get 2 more of these. But I see they are quite expensive if I buy individually from Lorex. I've even debated buying another 8-cam+NVR kit and selling off the pieces at $200/ea which seems like a deal, but I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cameras I don't need and can't sell.

The cameras are mounted from 10'-25' high, 2 are in garages, 2 are in porches. The other 4 (soon to be 6) get around the house. The front door porch is zoomed in all the way, while the others are mostly at 1/4-1/3 zoomed in - my guess about a 4mm equivalent, maybe some 6mm. So I could probably go with a fixed lens of those and figure out which ones to swap from varifocal. Ideally stick with varifocal if the price differences is not ridiculous.

So what suggestions do you have for 2 other cameras to work well with this setup?

4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 8 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 250FT Night Vision

Thanks in advance!
Mark

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Mark, Good to see you here.

Looks like you may want to mount a few cameras lower to get a potentially better ID image.

A lot of us here also really like the Dahua OEM starlight models, for low light performance.

See the following in my notes:
#15 - a recommended seller for Dahua OEM starlights.

I really like the Dahua mini-dome wedge by the front door - I have mine 5 feet high to catch good facial images.

----
Just in case you have not yet seen this:

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction! <--- my notes

Have fun joining us here.