Brand advice

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of quite a large system with the following requirements:

Excellent colour night vision
Excellent native in-camera human identification (ignoring cats, foxes, badgers, horses, rain, snow, reflections etc) even at night
Storage of alarm snippets to sd in camera even without a network connection
Non-proprietry, non-encrypted streaming and storage, eg mpeg etc
Excellent weatherproofing - ip67
Easy to use and reliable pc and app software - ideally with the ability to send text messages with alarm video snippets attached

Thinking of Sony or Bosch although please send me your suggestions.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most here go with Dahua OEM sold by a trusted member here @EMPIRETECANDY by either DM or his EmpireTech website or Amazon

Keep in mind that full color cameras are not magic and still need light, so you either need to have enough light or be willing to use the built-in white LED that most prefer not to use.

So most purchase a camera that can see infrared and force it in color (basically mimics a full color camera) and then if there isn't enough light, they have infrared to fall back on. Full color cameras cannot see infrared.

These cameras are excellent with human and vehicle detection and avoiding animals, sometimes to the detriment of folks wanting triggers on animals LOL.

See this thread on how using just Dahua AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I came here about three years ago and followed the advice I received in lieu of what I thought I wanted and I am 100% happy.

I run Blue Iris (vs planned NVR), and a mix of Dahua OEM & EmpireTech (vs planned Hikvision).

4 cams record 24/7/365, 2 cams on motion, it has been a rock solid stable system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of quite a large system with the following requirements:

Excellent colour night vision
Excellent native in-camera human identification (ignoring cats, foxes, badgers, horses, rain, snow, reflections etc) even at night
Storage of alarm snippets to sd in camera even without a network connection
Non-proprietry, non-encrypted streaming and storage, eg mpeg etc
Excellent weatherproofing - ip67
Easy to use and reliable pc and app software - ideally with the ability to send text messages with alarm video snippets attached

Thinking of Sony or Bosch although please send me your suggestions.

Thanks
Hi @biglebowski ..

Remember most of us are looking at private residential and multitenant or small business setups when we give out brand advice.

If you have a government or defense related installation, do pay attention the the added restrictions and requirements that they may have put in place as associated with hikvision or dahua oem cameras and nvrs ..

Most us us do not need to worry about that and are happy to share what we have learned.