Brand/model suggestions, 8MP/2.8mm.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'll start out by saying that I am very new to IP cameras and security cameras in general. Based on some YouTube videos I picked up a few Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-IB cameras and set them up using BlueIris (recommended here, thanks!). Since the install (over a year ago) I have been very happy with them and was hoping to purchase a few more. I originally purchased them from B&H Photo but they now are listed as discontinued. I currently have 3 cameras and would like to add 3 more to finish my property.

The specs for the current cameras are:
3840 x 2160 Resolution at 20 fps
IR LEDs for Night Vision up to 100'
2.8mm Fixed Lens with f/1.6 Aperture
102 x 55° H/V Field of View
120 dB Wide Dynamic Range
3D Digital Noise Reduction
microSD Card Slot Supports up to 128GB
RJ45 Ethernet with PoE
ONVIF Compliant, Profiles S and G
IP67 Rated for Outdoor Use

These cameras with these specs have been great for me so I don't think I need much if any more than this, the resolution, fps and 2.8mm lens are all fine with me. I would prefer to have black housings if possible. I have been looking at Lorex LNE9242B’s but have never used them before. I have 4 spots left on my poe switch and I'd like to stay at less than $350 per cam. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I’m happy to hear them. Thanks for any help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Lorex is Dahua OEM that is considered a budget cam that uses lessor materials and sensors. That 8MP on that sensor will be useless at night. Even though the Hik (1/2" sensor) you have is not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, you will notice a significant difference in video quality for the same resolution.

Sensor size is more important.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Recognize you can always paint the cameras if needed.

@EMPIRETECANDY is a trusted vendor here that sells Dahua and Hikvision OEM cameras. He has a few models that he has in black. DM him here or look at his Amazon or AliExpress store for some models that fit your needs and can get you far more capable cameras than you have now for less than $350 per camera!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The Lorex is Dahua OEM that is considered a budget cam that uses lessor materials and sensors. That 8MP on that sensor will be useless at night. Even though the Hik (1/2" sensor) you have is not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, you will notice a significant difference in video quality for the same resolution.

Sensor size is more important.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Recognize you can always paint the cameras if needed.

@EMPIRETECANDY is a trusted vendor here that sells Dahua and Hikvision OEM cameras. He has a few models that he has in black. DM him here or look at his Amazon or AliExpress store for some models that fit your needs and can get you far more capable cameras than you have now for less than $350 per camera!
Thanks I appreciate the info! That makes a lot of sense regarding the sensor size. I haven't reached out yet as I need to educate myself more regarding sensor to mp ratios but this camera through his amazon store is looking interesting, Motorized lenses make me a little nervous typically but I'd be setting these and leaving them alone so I shouldn't be that concerned.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that 5442-ZE is the current king of the hill.

Many prefer it over 8MP, especially at night.

No need to worry about the motorized lens. These are a set it and forget it, but for a few bucks more, you get the ability to optically zoom in to a tighter area.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
.... Motorized lenses make me a little nervous typically but I'd be setting these and leaving them alone so I shouldn't be that concerned.
There are cameras with a "Variable Focal Length" motorized lens and there are PTZ cameras. The variable focal length lenses are not designed to be changed all the time. The idea is that you set the camera up and dial in the exact coverage you need (by adjusting the vairable focal length lens) and then you leave it alone. As long as you don't attempt to use it as a PTZ camera (ie always adjusting the zoom level), the motors will be very reliable.

If you want a camera that is designed to be constantly zoomed in and out, then a PTZ camera is what is needed. I realize this ISN'T what you are looking for, but I'm trying to be clear for anyone else that might be reading this thread in the future.

As other have mentioned, resolution and image sensor size play a huge role in how well the camera will perform in low/no light. People tend to gravitate to high resolution cameras (4k/8mp for example) because they think it is better. However the individual pixel size is going to be very small on these cameras unless you get a very large sensor. Think of pixel size like the size of a window. The larger the size, the more light it passes. A tiny window isn't going to let in much light compared to a floor to ceiling picture window.

There are some general guidelines that we suggest people follow if they want to get the best low/no light performance. If can get cameras that match or beat these guidelines, you'll have much better low/no light performance than 90% of the people out there.
- 4k (8mp) cameras need to have a sensor size of 1/1.2" or larger
- 4mp cameras need to have a sensor size of 1/1.8" or larger
- 2mp (1080 HD) need to have a sensor size of 1/2.8" or larger

(Keep in mind that sensor sizes are listed as a fraction - 1/1.2" is larger than 1/2.8". I like to round the fractions off when I'm looking at sensor sizes just to make it easy for me - so a 1/1.2" sensor is nearly a 1/1" (or 1") sensor while a 1/1.8" sensor is close to 1/2" and a 1/2.8" sensor is close to 1/3". Obviously "1" is larger than "1/2" which is larger than "1/3". Hopefully that makes sense.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'll start out by saying that I am very new to IP cameras and security cameras in general. Based on some YouTube videos I picked up a few Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-IB cameras and set them up using BlueIris (recommended here, thanks!). Since the install (over a year ago) I have been very happy with them and was hoping to purchase a few more. I originally purchased them from B&H Photo but they now are listed as discontinued. I currently have 3 cameras and would like to add 3 more to finish my property.

The specs for the current cameras are:
3840 x 2160 Resolution at 20 fps
IR LEDs for Night Vision up to 100'
2.8mm Fixed Lens with f/1.6 Aperture
102 x 55° H/V Field of View
120 dB Wide Dynamic Range
3D Digital Noise Reduction
microSD Card Slot Supports up to 128GB
RJ45 Ethernet with PoE
ONVIF Compliant, Profiles S and G
IP67 Rated for Outdoor Use

These cameras with these specs have been great for me so I don't think I need much if any more than this, the resolution, fps and 2.8mm lens are all fine with me. I would prefer to have black housings if possible. I have been looking at Lorex LNE9242B’s but have never used them before. I have 4 spots left on my poe switch and I'd like to stay at less than $350 per cam. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I’m happy to hear them. Thanks for any help.
I would not recommend any lorex cams. I have a $2500 system from lorex, NVR and 8 4k cams and a 4mp ptz, no. Can't change the iframe in the 8 cams to what they recommend here for BI, and no AI IVS. Going to be switching all my cams to dahua by Andy at empiretech. Already switched my NVR to one from him (dahua). I have a dedicated computer for BI and use my NVR for back up.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..I have been looking at Lorex LNE9242B’s but have never used them before. I have 4 spots left on my poe switch and I'd like to stay at less than $350 per cam. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I’m happy to hear them. Thanks for any help.
Hi @daphatgrant

Lorex in the last 1-2 years has been using smaller sensors, and in general their prices on individual cameras or multipacks of cameras are very poor values imho.

If you can afford $350 per camera.. I highly recommend the better Dahua OEM cameras that Andy carries .. ( vs the smaller sensor model Dahua OEM cameras that Lorex sells )

At this price point and specs.. I recommend avoiding this "deal" ..

1649278704578.png

update: Andy has a spring sale going on, info here