Brand name vs DIY IPCAM

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got a Blink system as I am on a tight budget but needed a turnkey system ASAP.
Right away I recognize it's serious vulnerabilities, WIFI jamming, power out, short clips, etc.
Despite everything, for $300 it is up and running 5 cameras in 20 minutes and provides some basic cloud based surveillance.

I'm really looking for something more 24/7 local as I have a server in a cage on a UPS.
How much of a time/cost investment am I looking at to learn and hook up a more capable IPCAM system?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got a Blink system as I am on a tight budget but needed a turnkey system ASAP.
Right away I recognize it's serious vulnerabilities, WIFI jamming, power out, short clips, etc.
Despite everything, for $300 it is up and running 5 cameras in 20 minutes and provides some basic cloud based surveillance.

I'm really looking for something more 24/7 local as I have a server in a cage on a UPS.
How much of a time/cost investment am I looking at to learn and hook up a more capable IPCAM system?
You can setup a 5 1080p camera system for 400+...it depends on way to many variables to give a proper answer. Best advice is to start reading the forum.

n3wb
Reaction score
Are their any smart IPCAMS that record locally in full quality then upload heavily compressed video archives to the cloud?
Would using a desktop program like Genius Vision accomplish this?
The more I think about it, simultaneous realtime uploading to the cloud plus HQ local storage is the sweetspot.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, lots of cams available with internal storage (sd/tf card)...

n3wb
Reaction score
Blink actually does realtime cloud uploading and is introducing local storage to USB shortly so I know it is technically possible. With a smart software running on a desktop I would expect this feature. I'm eager to see if they will allow 24/7 which could make it a lot more attractive. A 128gb usb could store many days of multichannel h264.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blink actually does realtime cloud uploading and is introducing local storage to USB shortly so I know it is technically possible. With a smart software running on a desktop I would expect this feature. I'm eager to see if they will allow 24/7 which could make it a lot more attractive. A 128gb usb could store many days of multichannel h264.
It will never record 24/7 as it runs on battery...it's useless..see the arlo thread that explains why..

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, you just saved me a lot of time.

I've had great success with Belkin powerlines in my place.
Since 24/7 needs AC I wonder if any models have integrated powerline or similar tech that uses AC wiring for network.

Last edited by a moderator: