Brand new seeded lawn destruction creates new IPcamtalk member

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just came home to discover a distracted driver had plowed through my brand new lawn and destroyed my waste bin.
I currently have a ubiquiti networks G3 dome above my driveway under the house soffit, and a self rolled ubuntu nvr with a 4tb wd purple drive.

The lighting was perfect so i have about as good a quality as you could hope for from the g3 dome. However,this has motivated me to expand and improve my camera kit.

looking forward to use this site and community as a resource! Likely not going ubiquiti again so I am starting to research my options especially those that let me just keep using my existing nvr hardware (i5-2400 based lenovo pc, 4gb ram, 4tb wd purple)

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome. Checkout the Dahua Starlight or the Hikvision Dark Fighter cameras for great low light capabilities.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :D

+1 to what @mikeynags said above about the cams. The 2MP cams are the best performers in low light, more pixels (4, 5 or 8) require more light (generally).

Should you decide to go with Blue Iris for your VMS instead of a NVR, that Lenovo 2nd gen i5 with 4GB RAM will work with BI and you could probably run 4 each 2MP/1080p cams at 10FPS direct-to-disk but likely have 50-60% CPU usage on the Lenovo until you can put together a replacement that meets these specs. Be sure to let the PC do nothing else but be your BI server.

Be sure to read the Cliff Notes in that same Wiki up top.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The new ads are something else on the site redesign. Right now for me, there is an ad for Sodding services between post 2 & 3 :D

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The new ads are something else on the site redesign. Right now for me, there is an ad for Sodding services between post 2 & 3 :D
haha! Well i kinda need it to fill the big tire scar so that is some efficient ad targeting lol. Little do they know i am a diy lawn geek so paying someone to do it isnt my style.

i guess I am a DIY person in general. So building up my ip camera setup is quite a fun thing for me.

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :D

+1 to what @mikeynags said above about the cams. The 2MP cams are the best performers in low light, more pixels (4, 5 or 8) require more light (generally).

Should you decide to go with Blue Iris for your VMS instead of a NVR, that Lenovo 2nd gen i5 with 4GB RAM will work with BI and you could probably run 4 each 2MP/1080p cams at 10FPS direct-to-disk but likely have 50-60% CPU usage on the Lenovo until you can put together a replacement that meets these specs. Be sure to let the PC do nothing else but be your BI server.

Be sure to read the Cliff Notes in that same Wiki up top.
Thanks for this reply. Yes the ol’ Lenovo is currently a headless dedicated ip camera recorder. I look forward to seeing what it can handle. I want to get to four cameras by years end, maybe two geared toward night and two geared for day.

looks like lots of reviews on this forum so I have plenty to help make my choices!