Bricked DS-2CD2032-I

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased a DS-2CD2032-I from Amazon (supplied by CCTV System) not doing my homework and received a "Chinese" unit. It seemed to wok fine however and all the menu's were in English. Being even more stupid I headed over to the Hikvision website, downloaded the latest firmware (v5.3.0_150513) and did an update via the web interface. My assumption was that this would be a good thing to do. Naturally the unit is now bricked. I am able to telnet to it and have tried to the use the Hikvision tftp utility discussed in various threads in this forum. I restored various flavours mentioned in threads in this forum including "Raptor_2_520_f_10_14_c" but while it all goes according to the book - after the firmware restoring is "complete" I get nothing on 192.0.0.64:8000
Ping and telnet are no problem and see ftp port is also open.
Is there a specific set of firmware I should be trying as I am guessing all the one's I HAVE tried must be for the USA model?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Desertsweeper Welcome to the forum. 8000 is the media port...for the browser the http port is 80 by default..

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I figured the solution would be to find a chinese firmware version (despite the fact mine was in english) and then do the well-described hack into english. Does anyone know where I can get a chinese flavoured firmware version?

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok i got it to work. I tried the 5.2.5 firmware once again, waited 10 minutes, power-off-on and it came up! Thanks for the help and a hugely resourceful website.

peraburek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Desertsweeper
Would you be so kind to post link to firmware you have used, I have the same problem as you did :(

Last edited by a moderator:

peraburek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK tnx a lot. I have two ds-2cd2432f-iw (both the same, chinese version bought from aliexpress.com with English language)

one camera is working fine, second one is bricked, is there some utility to extract firmware from working hikvision camera and that I could TFTP it to second camera

that way I am sure everything will work all right

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
there are some very good posts on that subject in this forum I found by searching. The most common way is to use ftp. You will need to use a utility like "putty" to connect to the camera via "telnet" and issue "put" commands to an ftp server on your network. As I say there are well documented step-by-step guide in this forum.

peraburek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Desertsweeper, thank you for suggestion

I have tried to search function on this forum, but didn't find the solution at the moment (I have tried keywords: ftp, putty, telnet)

I have managed to logon to working camera with Putty and SSH (does it make difference if it is not Telnet?) in order to extract firmware
I am trying to find "digicap.dav" file but I don't know where it is

locate command doesn't work - not avaiable, find command doesn't work either - not avaiable

Last edited by a moderator:

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For the flashing side, when you download the compressed zip file mentioned in the sticky above you will get a complete set of files including digicap 5.2.5 and the utility to perform the tftp firmware write. Just extract the files into a single folder and run the tftp server utility. So long as you are on the same network as the camera (192.0.0.128 is what your IP should be) after restarting the camera it will pull the digicap file in the same folder. There is a walk-through of this in an adobe pdf document on the hikvision europe site. As for telnet and extracting files the very first sticky in this forum talks about how to do it and offers you a tool, also in compressed .arj format (much like a .zip file)

peraburek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand you Desertsweeper, I will try everything as described in order to recover my camera.
My question was "reverse", how to extract firmware file digicap.dav from working camera, in order to flash that same file to second bricked camera.

I won't touch "firmware upgrade" ever again :(

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
peraburek what I discovered in my attempts to "unbrick" my camera is that you can't really make things worse by trying different firmware images. You will not brick it worse. It will either work or not and you get to try again. The version that worked for me as I said is the one provided: "Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English" by "whoslooking" in the sticky at the top of this forum. As for extracting your firmware, to repeat, the very first sticky in this Hikvision forum provides detailed information and a utility to do just that.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
peraburek what I discovered in my attempts to "unbrick" my camera is that you can't really make things worse by trying different firmware images. You will not brick it worse. It will either work or not and you get to try again. The version that worked for me as I said is the one provided: "Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English" by "whoslooking" in the sticky at the top of this forum. As for extracting your firmware, to repeat, the very first sticky in this Hikvision forum provides detailed information and a utility to do just that.
You can definitely make it worse. Don't try anything pre-5.2 or there's a chance you will brick it proper.