Brillcam POE dropping

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I celebrated too soon.

Web is back, but now my POE cams, which were working and connected before the windows update, are not able to connect.

UGH
A reboot of the unmanaged switch didnt help.

When I was just using the comcast gateway/router the cameras had IP adresses of 10.0.0.xx

The two POE cams worked after I put the ASUS router in place....but web did not work on the PC.

I rebooted, installed windows updates and web now works but the cameras do not...

SO I updated the camera settings inside BI to the IP addresses on the packaging of the cameras....still no good.....

Cameras are not showing up in the ASUS router interface.....neither the powerline connected camera or the POE camera.

Last edited:

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Geez. I am embarassed. I kept looking at it all and ...in an "AHA!" moment.....(aka "you dum azz)....

I had missed that the 3 place in the new IP address was no longer "1" but "50".

Got all the cameras back....

WHEW!!!

Sorry for the stupidity on my end...but I told ya all...I am a noobe!! LOL

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah,
That is my next step -- order and install a 2nd NIC and get THAT working.....
The cheapest part of this whole setup LOL!...well maybe the cable is the least...but still a very cheap and quick and easy way to isolate the cams!

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah,

The cheapest part of this whole setup LOL!...well maybe the cable is the least...but still a very cheap and quick and easy way to isolate the cams!
Maybe the cheapest, but the most nerve wracking part to me ....lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the cheapest, but the most nerve wracking part to me ....lol
That and OpenVPN is actually so simple....once you jump into it. Before I tried it, I wrestled with it for a while trying to figure out how and why it worked. Finally got fed up with the how and why and said screw it let me just try it LOL and it was way simpler than I was making it out to be and then I understand the how and why! A lot of us overthink these two until after we actually set it up!

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That and OpenVPN is actually so simple....once you jump into it. Before I tried it, I wrestled with it for a while trying to figure out how and why it worked. Finally got fed up with the how and why and said screw it let me just try it LOL and it was way simpler than I was making it out to be and then I understand the how and why! A lot of us overthink these two until after we actually set it up!
So, once I get the dual nic installed (on its way from amazon as we speak along with a skyhawk drive) the cameras will once again have to have their IP address changed...

Now... before I got the Asus router, and when the cameras were using 10.0.0.XX addresses thru the Comcast gateway/router and only being seen on my network at home, I could see them on my TinyCam andorid app....... And now with this new router and the cameras' new 192.681.50.XX addresses I can STILL see them on that app.

But after I move them to the second NIC card -- while I am at home, using my phone on my network, will I still be able to access them using my current TinyCam app that uses their current IP address to see them? Or at that point will i HAVE to access on my phone via the VPN setup?

If that is the case I guess my next step should be setting up the VPN......if not, either can go next....

I like the TinyCam app while I am at home....I cant control 100% of the functions of the cameras but I can see what I need to see. I cant use that app waway from the house -- at least I couldnt before.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tell ya what.....LOVE BI......HATE WINDOWS.

was headed to bed and I figured I'd check in on the BI machine ....BI humming along well....but windows is for the second time today prompting a restart...

So I stop BI....and go to updates to see what's up......I am sitting here staring at windows downloading and installing more damn updates...

And on too of that, there is a message telling me I need to upgrade to windows version 20h2 so I can keep in getting "important updates".....

These updates never end! Unlike the old days, updates once a year.....lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is disable all the Windows updates. Eventually it will install something that causes the dreaded memory leak that you will see people come here where their computer races up to 100% CPU within a half hour and restarts constantly... Many here have not had an update on their BI computer for over a year. And permanently disable graphics drivers updates as well. Sometimes Windows goes crazy and will still override the settings and do an update, but you do not want to change the graphics driver.

Depends on your system which IP address you need to change - if you haven't set a static address to anything but your cameras, simply change the IP address of your home network in the Asus router and let everything else reconnect as they are using DHCP and will auto assign a new IP address...or go in and change the cameras IP address.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

This kinda helped me too:

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is disable all the Windows updates. Eventually it will install something that causes the dreaded memory leak that you will see people come here where their computer races up to 100% CPU within a half hour and restarts constantly... Many here have not had an update on their BI computer for over a year. And permanently disable graphics drivers updates as well. Sometimes Windows goes crazy and will still override the settings and do an update, but you do not want to change the graphics driver.

Depends on your system which IP address you need to change - if you haven't set a static address to anything but your cameras, simply change the IP address of your home network in the Asus router and let everything else reconnect as they are using DHCP and will auto assign a new IP address...or go in and change the cameras IP address.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

This kinda helped me too:

I have delayed updates for 35 days....the max allowed in 64 Bit Home......even on my 64 bit Pro video editing machine, I can only delay for awhile....

How do you DISABLE them? Didnt think that was doable???

re: the VPN stuff -- yeah -- my head explodes as soon as I think about starting that process...LOL

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That link was HUGELY helpful! I set up Open VPN...woohoo!

I was able to log on to my router from my phone! How cool is that!

So once I get the cameras "behind the lines" I will test that.

One error I am getting....when I run OpenVPN on the phone...using the "client.ovpn" file.....

1616767793919.png

I can continue and get to my router.

But if I try to "select" I get another error.

1616768125164.png

I saved off the "free cert" file early in the process but then also saved off the OVPN file.....I never really saw any place to use the free cert file....

What did I miss?

Probably dangerous to run without the cert??

The cool part is when I am away from the house now, I can use TinyCam with the VPN to see the two brillcams.....cant see the wifi camera.....but its cool how this stuff all works....cant say I understand most of it though.

Last edited:

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, the new NIC card and the Skyhawk arrived today......installed both (H avent set up the cameras on the second nic though quite yet)

BI is now using the 4TB skyhawk for NEW, STORE and DB

Weird thing --- I get this message at the bottom where it used to show the amount used of the hard drive:
1616901441603.png
My skyhawk is G.....but it only started doing this after I disconnected my USB stick drive (which had 28 GB left on it)

Drive G (the skyhawk ) has 3.9 TB.....I have restarted a few times already......any ideas?

Also, I went ahead and made myself a bonafide user of BI -- bought the license. I was looking online for a discount code (I ado that with EVERYTHING) and lo and behold, came to this forum to see if I could find anything mentioned and this forum has it on sale for $57.99. SOLD! :)

Once I installed the license I got a message saying a new version was available....any reason to update o 5.3.9.17? Or stay with 5.3.9.15 for now?

I dont always like to have the latest/greatest unless it has been sussed out by a lot of smarter folks than me.

1616901643255.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere in a camera setting you are pointing to either that drive you took out or you overallocated how much storage is on the new drive.

BI is great and is always pushing out new updates...but many of us find a stable version and stick with it until a new feature is added to make it worth the update.

Last edited:

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok...I am stuck.......following the instructions in the first post here:

Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

I have added the second nic.....I have changed things so that I am using the second (PCI) card for internet. Will use the built in PCIe motherboard RJ45 for the camera network.

Under the properties and "Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4" I added 192.168.55.10 ---

Then got stuck.

I want to be able to access the cameras via a browser, so I can change their IP address but thats where I am stuck...TL1096r was using 192.168.1.108 so as to access his Dahua cams......I have brillcam....so I tried the IP address stamped on the box of one of my cameras......no joy.

I can get to the two cams through the Brillcam device manager app on the BI pc.....so I changed the IPs that way. So far, even when logged into my VPN, I cannot access the cams through TinyCam on my android like I was able to before.

I was able to change the IPs in BI and the cameras are back on line. I still have my WIFI camera conencted via WIFI (still waiting for the additional powerline adaptors I ordered).

SO now just have to work on getting access via my android.

Last edited:

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is where I am...

My original mobo nic works fine for the cameras I think......IP setting as shown....BI sees the cameras just fine.

1616969727667.png

My second nic card, the add on, is my "red" side......

1616969662720.png

In BI it shows the following.....

1616969607004.png

But trying to access that LAN address while on my VPN on my android doesnt work....

I have been entering 192.168.50.199 (the IP address of my BO server) in a bunch of ways

Tried the port 81 instead as well

No joy

Figured I would see what the BI remote access wizard would do and I get thru the first couple steps and then this.....red x

And clicking on the provided link nets me nothing.

I am feeling stupid again...LOL

1616969551671.png

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SUCCESS! Did some more poking around tonight after just stepping away from it for the day.

re-read the help file and the wizard --- "firewall" kept catching my attention.

Two things ---

Turns out my AVAST firewall was set for "public network"......set it for "trusted private network" and viola......the BI webserver started working...

Plus it was using "out only" for connectivity to the web....changed it to "in and out".

I have now access the U13 interface on my android via both the VPN with WIFI off and also using just my wifi.

Works great! Lots to figure out but HEY IT WORKS!!!!!!!

Cant wait to try it while away from the place. :)

Thanks for getting me this far!!

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember the old Geico commercials..... "So easy a caveman can do it" ???

Yeah --- that was me tonight when it finally worked...LOL

That Ui3 interface is NIIIICE! Way nicer and way more useful than Tinycam was with the old setup.

Now on to fine tuning stuff I guess.....gotta get my DLINK camera off wifi (waiting on the powerline gizmo).....

Maybe I will look at CPU usage now.....hangs around 40-50%...spiking to 68% when cams are triggered and saving a JPG.

But man I am so happy to be this far!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the substreams and using direct to disc and all the other items in the wiki....follow every one of these to bring CPU usage down. Trying to overthink another setting in BI to reduce CPU is in almost every instance an opposite effect!