Bringing in external https webcamera (NDOT traffic cameras) into Blue Iris. Just a hair away from being happy with it

Reaction score
I made SOME progress in this little venture! I want to bring in some live streaming NDOT traffic camera feeds into my Home Assistant Lovelace UI to check traffic conditions before departing the house in the mornings. Being a Home Assistant nOOb, I'm not sure possible because of the NDOT's use of .m3u8 streaming protocol. With the use of Chrome's Dev Tools, I found the URL: Plugged this exact URL into VLC, and whalla... 30 FPS live streaming of this stream. I know there are methods to have Blue Iris stream camera feeds into Home Assistant, so I thought what would happen if I created "My Camera 20" and plug in the URL? It works! Somewhat. In the VLC, I get smooth FPS. But in Blue Iris, I get maybe 5 FPS for a couple seconds...then nothing for 30 seconds. Repeats. Sometimes no FPS for a full minute. Now, I am stumped.
I did some forum searching and I guess there is not much interest in bringing external cameras into Blue Iris as only found 2 or 3 posts since 2016 without resolutions.
But I bet if many folk use UI3 for a traffic cam or 2 included....well.... :)

streamCam.jpgstreamCam.jpg

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It might be worthwhile to see if FFMPEG can transcode the stream. It may tell you if there is something nonstandard or it is having to assume about the stream.
When you add to BI, what do you have the framerate setting of the camera set to? have you tried experimenting with other framerates?

Reaction score
Naw...no tinkering. I think it is the format itself of the .m3u8 format. It kind of blasts the video for 3 seconds and then waits for the next batch to come next. Which suits my purposes fine for just seeing morning traffic for a couple seconds of viewing.