"Budget Systems"

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Long time mostly lurker. I've installed probably 100 low end IP cameras as well as about a dozen Q-See IP systems. I'd like to venture into something a little more commercial but it's hard to match the price point of the Q-See systems you can get at Costco. Remarkably, I've had very little issues with any of yhe cameras/systems I've installed-some installed over 10 years ago.

With that said, what would the "next step" in hardware? Should I be expecting to go from say $700 for an 8 channel/6 camera system (see pic) to several thousand from a better manufacturer? I believe Q-See is Dahua. Thanks

Attachments

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll take another look at BI but found in the past it to be a network hog essentially bringing the network to a standstill. I have one customer still on it but is only able to put one camera on it or his network slows to a crawl. Plus, the motion masking doesn't work that well. Let me qualify my statements in that I am far from a power user with BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll take another look at BI but found in the past it to be a network hog essentially bringing the network to a standstill. I have one customer still on it but is only able to put one camera on it or his network slows to a crawl. Plus, the motion masking doesn't work that well. Let me qualify my statements in that I am far from a power user with BI.
BI by definition cannot be a network hog, it does exactly the same thing as an NVR would do...problem was that you passed all the camera footage through your router that was not capable...solution is to connect the blue iris pc to the same switch as the cameras...there is no masking in BI anymore, you select the area you want to cover with motion detection....the motion detection in blue iris, including zone crossing detection is far superior to anything in an NVR or camera...this is user error.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I said, I'm far from a BI power user and I stopped installing and supporting it. The cameras at the location I'm referring to are wireless so putting the PC on the same switch isn't possible. Also, I'm not sure I follow your reasoning as it really shouldn't matter where things are on the networking. I'm not challenging you but am curious. Thanks for the reply.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As I said, I'm far from a BI power user and I stopped installing and supporting it. The cameras at the location I'm referring to are wireless so putting the PC on the same switch isn't possible. Also, I'm not sure I follow your reasoning as it really shouldn't matter where things are on the networking. I'm not challenging you but am curious. Thanks for the reply.
it does matter...if a pc is attached to the same switch as the router then data only passes in the switch..it will not pass via the router unless you remote view or view via a device connected to the router....wifi was your first mistake, but that said, the SAME EXACT DATA is passed over wifi to blue iris that would be passed to an NVR...