Build PC Help Hard Disk ??

Reaction score
Hi, actually I've a geovision system with 16 analogs cams, I would like to update my system, i need I guide to buy the PC first.

Requirements:

- 16 Analog cams
- 10 IP 1 MP
- 6 IP 2 MP
3 TB storage or more

PC:
I7 6600
MSI M ATX H170M-A PRO
2 X 4gb DDR4
VGA ON BOARD INTEL 530 ?
Blue cherry 16 CH

please help me choosing storage, my idea is:

100GB SSD for system and 2 2TB WD RED PRO.

May I record some cameras in on hd disk and the others in the second ?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ Andres Pnarg Yes you can split recording between drives. Setup an aux folder in clips archiving tab..then set some cameras to record to the aux folder.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you plan on running anything else beside BI i would maybe try for a bigger SSD if budget allows.

Reaction score
i will run only windows and BI, so 120gb is enough. which windows is more reliable ? w10 works great in general...

do I need 2 HD for video or with one red pro i will be fine ?

Nregan

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a MAJOR BUG in Windows 10 that might affect your choice.
( Windows calls it a feature, and thinks it is good.)

Automatic Updates.
Windows will shut down and restart to install updates.
AND SOMETIMES NOT RESTART.
You will have very little control of this.
Windows will decide.
Windows 10 has turned off my cameras numerous times while updating.
Sometimes it happens while I am in the middle of doing something.
Windows gives you no choice other than picking a preferred time of day to do this.
If you postpone it, then the time will come when it just shuts you down NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Last week it turned off my cameras for 12 hours while it tried to update.

The only way around is very complicated and does not work reliably.

BEWARE OF WINDOWS 10

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nice, and someone that i know wants to have windows 10 and BI.

Nregan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes.
There are several issues with the workarounds discussed in that article.
1. The best way requires Windows Professional ($100+) and involves setting Group Policies or otherwise modifying the registry. There are other consequences when you do that which may be undesirable. And it's way way too complicated. And will not work perfectly. And will require that you be constantly aware of one more tweak that you must apply to any other installation.
2. Setting a metered connection works, afaik, only on wireless connections. I am on a wired connection. And metered connections only delay the inevitable.
3. Delaying downloads, which I have done, leads to a disastrous result. They will eventually download and install all at once and you will be left watching your screen and the wonderful messages from Windows telling you do not turn off your computer. The screen will apparently freeze on the message "100% done". Then when you are just about ready to conclude that you need to do a hard reset, i.e. pull the plug, the message will change again to 0% ... 1%%....
Windows has been torturing it's users with that trick since V 1.0

It should be a simple choice to update either automatically or when the user chooses.
But, as the manager for Windows explained in a recent interview, there are 2 types of users:
A. Those who know absolutely nothing about computers and want Windows to automatically do everything.
and
B. System Administrators, who have no problem constantly adjusting and tweaking and maintaining.

So, the bottom line is, you cannot depend on Windows 10 to remain up and running unattended. You must constantly check to see if it has failed to restart properly after an automatic update. Or because of some other "feature" for "your security."

deenski

n3wb
Reaction score
Just trying to help, sounds like your bases are covered.

Nregan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you.

If you discover a good way, please let us know. There are lots of people who are hoping.

tensoneu

n3wb
Reaction score
In one of my recent configuration, A PC is running Windows 10 Home haven't ran into any issues with updating yet. The PC is setup with the following:
7x PoE IP Cameras @ 4MP 15fps [Records Motion Detection, not 24/7, on all cameras]
- For a 24 hour time frame it's averaging roughly about 14GB.
- CPU Usage = 24-30% using direct to disk recording
- RAM = 2GB utilized according to BI

I set it recording to a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, after 7 days or 140GB Limit, it moves the clips to a HDD. Chose that particular SSD specifically because of the endurance rating (estimated of 150TB write) and didn't want to chance any bottlenecks from HDD being recorded in real time. I also over provisioned the drive (10% of unused space to maintain health and performance) so the usable space is 214GB afterwards.

Specs on PC:
Alienware Alpha with an i7-4790T, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 6TB external drive for archive storage. Kinda overkill for just BI, but at least I know it can handle about 2x the amount of cameras.