build vs buy options (BI vs NVR)

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade our current 960H analog DVR to either NVR or BI. I will be running a max of about 8 cameras around the house/property with one of them potentially being a wireless camera (I am ok with that on being isolated).

I am in IT by trade to I have access to certain hardware for free. Looking over the currently available inventory it seems I should be able to build a BI instance cheaper than I can buy a comparable-performance NVR:

BI:
several dozen Optiplex 9020 towers with the older i5-4570 3.2ghz 4core cpu and all the RAM you could want
poweredge r430 dual socket xeon e5-2620 no RAM
poweredge r620 dual socket xeon e5-2640 no RAM

POE:
plethora of dell powerconnect 24port 10/100 unmanaged poe switches
several cisco catalyst 2960s 10/100/1000 24 and 48 port managed switches 750w

Any of the above would be free as they are decommissioned from service right now due to a recent virtualization project. I would need some drives and some RAM but...

I'd prefer to spend most of my actual money on cameras. Probably starting off with 4-6 and then later adding either a super high-end 7th and a wireless 8th. The goal is recording on motion, holding as much history as possible. Our current DVR has yet to let us down with its basic config so I'd imagine the basics are fine no matter what I do.

I'd like to stay around $1000 but it is what it is. I have been looking at some of the gw security options from amazon for comparison. I have the skillset to build anything from end to end so I'm not intimidated by difficulty or maintenance but I do have 2 jobs, 2 kids and 2 hobbies so I don't want something I have to babysit. I will have a display attached 24/7 this time around so a pc-based solution will be monitored. I won't do too much email alerting and other stuff, pretty low key. I have a carport I will be installing 4 of these cameras on and they are a cablefitter's dream so not too concerned with that either.

Please advise. Thank you

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
pretty straight forward. I was leaning that way anyway because I have spare hardware to swap if something dies. Any SSD for the system drive and then a dedicated disk for direct to disk recording, correct? I'm not seeing a lot of info regarding the poe standard, is this straight 802.3af?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, 128gb SSD will suffice, and then a WD purple drive, biggest you can afford.

If you are referring to the camera, yes it is 802.3af.

Keep in mind the noise factor in a home setting if those switch's have fans.

BI beats the pants off of an NVR.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this is sort of what lead me down this path. the switch can go in the wiring closet and the BI box in the living room to be always on display. My next option is an HDMI transceiver over cat5 to achieve the same output distribution.

I'm just reading up on BI and NVR but I assume I can get pretty much any camera and have full motion detection capabilities and features of said camera? I'm liking the dahua's but not liking not having a "faster" source for parts/replacements/etc. What would be some "good enough" stateside online options to throw in the mix?

Also, THANK YOU for the advice

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is sort of what lead me down this path. the switch can go in the wiring closet and the BI box in the living room to be always on display. My next option is an HDMI transceiver over cat5 to achieve the same output distribution.

I'm just reading up on BI and NVR but I assume I can get pretty much any camera and have full motion detection capabilities and features of said camera? I'm liking the dahua's but not liking not having a "faster" source for parts/replacements/etc. What would be some "good enough" stateside online options to throw in the mix?

Also, THANK YOU for the advice
Faster source? If in stock you can get most any cam from:
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
BEC Technology Co.,Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

5 days or less delivery, if in stock. ( I just received a cam in 3 days, just this week.)
A rep from both sites is a member here. @EMPIRETECANDY

With BI, yes pretty much any cam. With an NVR stick with the same brand cam as the NVR.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
point taken. I've just been institutionalized by amazon.

Anyway, I assume it is possible to configure the machine and BI to behave exactly as a dvr/nvr appliance with an output to a local display for real time monitoring, automatic recovery from ac failure (run as a service) and other power/sleep options? I don't mind tweaking/configuring but I do need it to be reliable and resilient on some level as there may be many weeks where I wont touch it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, I assume it is possible to configure the machine and BI to behave exactly as a dvr/nvr appliance with an output to a local display for real time monitoring, automatic recovery from ac failure (run as a service) and other power/sleep options? I don't mind tweaking/configuring but I do need it to be reliable and resilient on some level as there may be many weeks where I wont touch it.
Yes, easily...almost every pc (Except some laptops) have a bios option to allow start on power return....

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My plan was to use an APC UPS on it, disable automatic updates, turn off sleep/hibernate settings, etc. But wanted to confirm the BI application when set to run as service will also support automatically restoring external display. I can create an autologin account if I need to launch an app to display the feeds on an external display but just asking what is required to A.) keep the recordings going and B.) keep my real time monitor/display going.

Thank you guys for all the information.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My plan was to use an APC UPS on it, disable automatic updates, turn off sleep/hibernate settings, etc. But wanted to confirm the BI application when set to run as service will also support automatically restoring external display. I can create an autologin account if I need to launch an app to display the feeds on an external display but just asking what is required to A.) keep the recordings going and B.) keep my real time monitor/display going.

Thank you guys for all the information.
to enable a external display on reboot, use task scheduler to start bi...there are several threads that discuss it....it will boot right up..in bi, set it to go to full creen video on startup...