Building a new PC for a surveilance system, ...I hope.

1voyager2

n3wb
Reaction score
I've upgrading my security video camera system, gone from a 4 camera 720p analog DVR, to a digital 12 camera 4k IP NVR based system.
I want to hook the DVR up to a PC to operate it from, with the mfgr's software on it.
The DVR manual says it is possible.
So, I'm getting ready to build a second PC for operation, backup and storage.

As I look around, I'm thinking the cheapest processor, an i3-9100, should do the job for me.
My present PC has an ASUS Prime Z370-A mobo with an i7-3770k and 16g of DDR4 RAM.
Don't ask my why, it's a bit embarrassing, but In have an extra, brand new, unused, still in the box ASUS Prime Z3970-A mobo laying around.

I'm thinking of pulling the Z370-A from my PC, then installing the Z390-A, keeping my i7-3770k, 16gb, DDR4 and everything else, maybe pulling my SSD and adding an M.2. to replace it, and so on.

Then, install the Z370-A with the i3-9100 and 8mb [or less?] of DDR4 with the SSD and a couple large HDDs in an inexpensive box.

I assume the mobo and PS will be overkill, maybe the RAM too.
But, I think the processor should be OK to do the job.

Am I off in La-la land, or can it work?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the WIKI.
The 4K cameras are not very good at night unless you have a lot of light.
Please Please read before wasting any money.
If you have purchased a NVR with the cameras and have not installed it, please return it.
Do not build a PC for a camera security system, it is cheaper and better to buy a used Business computer.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My present PC has an ASUS Prime Z370-A mobo with an i7-3770k and 16g of DDR4 RAM.
I'm thinking of pulling the Z370-A from my PC, then installing the Z390-A, keeping my i7-3770k
Am I off in La-la land, or can it work?
Yes, you are. A 3rd gen CPU will not work on a motherboard for an 8th/9th gen CPU. Go back and recheck what you actually have.

Last edited:

1voyager2

n3wb
Reaction score
@SY,
They are in and working.
We are rural with no light other than sunlight.
Night color does not apply to us.
Night infrared is working just fine, much, much better than the older 720p system.
I am quite happy with them, their quality, and operation.

@Walrus
My error.
I said,i7-3770k.
I meant i7-8700k in my present mobo.
I had an i7-3770k in my previous P8Z77-V build.
Both ASUS Prime Z mobos, 370-A and 390-A, are for Intel 8th and 9th Gen LGA 1151 processors.
The i7-8700k is an 8th gen processor and the i3-9100 is a 9th gen processor.
Both processors will work in both mobos.

My question still stands:
Will the i3-9100 be adequate to run the 10 to 12 IP camera surveillance system?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you are looking to do with the additional computer. You talked about getting rid of your analog DVR system, upgraded to an NVR system, but now you want to hook the old DVR to a computer and run the DVR manufacturer's software on it? Is this for an addition security system?