Bullet points to help reinstalling

greenmoss

n3wb
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some guidance.
Illness has prevented me from sorting this out earlier and next door's burglary today has prompted me further.
I have six ip cameras - Hikvision and Dahua that were working well up to two years ago. The passwords were randomly reset by Hikvision and I could'nt sort it at the time. Can firmware sort out the Hikvision cameras from losing their password? Should I continue using Blue Iris 4 or move across to 5.
Kind regards Kevin

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some guidance.
Illness has prevented me from sorting this out earlier and next door's burglary today has prompted me further.
I have six ip cameras - Hikvision and Dahua that were working well up to two years ago. The passwords were randomly reset by Hikvision and I could'nt sort it at the time. Can firmware sort out the Hikvision cameras from losing their password? Should I continue using Blue Iris 4 or move across to 5.
Kind regards Kevin
Hi @greenmoss

You definitely want to get your user / passwords and IP address information well documented, otherwise you can be in for extra work to reset your cameras or take time to try to get a backdoor into the cameras.

Depending on the firmware version you are running in the cameras, you may only be able to do a reset.

greenmoss

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mat200 for that - this is a helpful straight forward remark that will get me started and focused. I will check the camera's firmware version when I get the chance. Assuming they are of the type that periodically reset should I replace them?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Models would be helpful.

There should not be any periodic resets. There have been cases where cameras exposed to the Internet could be easily accessed and hacked in various ways. You don't want any of these cams left open like that old or new.

There are many improvements to BI with version 5. If you're starting over again, then start there from the beginning.