Bullet vs Turret in the rain

Reaction score
I will be mounting cameras to an exterior wall without roof cover. I noticed that bullet cameras have an adjustable hood/brim that goes above the lens. Turret cameras do not.

i have already purchased the turret cameras but am contemplating exchanging for bullets.

Both of the turrets and bullets have the same specs. What are your thoughts?

These are the 2 cameras
LNB9242B
LNE9242B

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Either will be fine.

Do you need a Lorex camera? Do you need 4K?

Those cameras are on a sensor meant for 2MP, not 8MP.

Reaction score
Either will be fine.

Do you need a Lorex camera? Do you need 4K?

Those cameras are on a sensor meant for 2MP, not 8MP.
So, is the hood useless?

I have used Lorex in the past and it seemed easy enough for a DIYer. I’d like the highest resolution possible at a consumer level price.

The description of those cameras say they “… use an 8MP image sensor that delivers exceptionally detailed 4K Ultra HD resolution video.”

Looks like the specs say 1/2.8” sensor. Google tells me 2MP. If I set these cameras to record in 1080p, should I be all set?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not useless but limited in usefulness in the way that you're thinking. Rain generally blows around and you have mist and rain falling in front of the lens anyway which will have equal or more effect. It's main purpose is to shade the lens from sun where that might be useful. Which generally kinda-sorta works sometimes if the angle is right.

Changing the resolution won't affect the native abilities of the sensor. i.e., It's still an 8MP on 1/2.8 sensor so low-light capabilities won't be great.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, is the hood useless?

The description of those cameras say they “… use an 8MP image sensor that delivers exceptionally detailed 4K Ultra HD resolution video.”

Looks like the specs say 1/2.8” sensor. Google tells me 2MP. If I set these cameras to record in 1080p, should I be all set?
So you believe all the marketing hype LOL. Of course they are going to tell you that. And this is with a static image with the shutter slowed down to allow in all the light, but then motion will be a complete blur.

And no, downrezing will not work because it still uses the 8MP "screen" that will need over 4 times the amount of light of a 2MP on the same size screen.

Many of us have been there/done that and the difference between 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor versus 8MP on the same size sensor is the difference between getting a clean capture of the perp the police can use versus just telling them what time it happened.

Many people start here with the Lorex cameras and then "upgrade" them to lower MP cameras on ideal MP/sensor ratios.

Here is a recent example someone posted with an 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor (common combination for a budget camera) versus 8MP on the proper sized sensor - which image looks better to you?

1696541548403.png

1696541571013.png

Of more importance is that the top picture is default settings, so a horribly slow shutter of maybe 1/12 so any motion would be a blur. The 2nd picture is a 1/100 shutter and will get a clean capture. The faster the shutter speed, the more light that is needed. That bottom picture at 1/100 shutter is impressive. If the top camera was set to a 1/100 shutter it would be a very dark image.

Almost any camera can do well in the daytime with enough light, even cameras that are 8MP put on a sensor designed for 2MP. But keep in mind that usually the processor and other stuff are still designed around 2MP, so the camera struggles trying to keep up with 8MP worth of data.

So buying an 8MP camera on the same sensor as the 2MP processor means that the processor is potentially working 4 times as hard for the 8MP camera. The camera you are looking at is designed for 2MP, so when they pop an 8MP lens on it, the processor is still the same and has to work harder. In some situations that is problematic.

Take a look at this thread I created that is a good study for NOOB on the value of MP/sensor ratios and the importance of focal length over MP.

Reaction score
So you believe all the marketing hype LOL. Of course they are going to tell you that. And this is with a static image with the shutter slowed down to allow in all the light, but then motion will be a complete blur.

And no, downrezing will not work because it still uses the 8MP "screen" that will need over 4 times the amount of light of a 2MP on the same size screen.

Many of us have been there/done that and the difference between 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor versus 8MP on the same size sensor is the difference between getting a clean capture of the perp the police can use versus just telling them what time it happened.

Many people start here with the Lorex cameras and then "upgrade" them to lower MP cameras on ideal MP/sensor ratios.

Here is a recent example someone posted with an 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor (common combination for a budget camera) versus 8MP on the proper sized sensor - which image looks better to you?

1696541548403.png

1696541571013.png

Of more importance is that the top picture is default settings, so a horribly slow shutter of maybe 1/12 so any motion would be a blur. The 2nd picture is a 1/100 shutter and will get a clean capture. The faster the shutter speed, the more light that is needed. That bottom picture at 1/100 shutter is impressive. If the top camera was set to a 1/100 shutter it would be a very dark image.

Almost any camera can do well in the daytime with enough light, even cameras that are 8MP put on a sensor designed for 2MP. But keep in mind that usually the processor and other stuff are still designed around 2MP, so the camera struggles trying to keep up with 8MP worth of data.

So buying an 8MP camera on the same sensor as the 2MP processor means that the processor is potentially working 4 times as hard for the 8MP camera. The camera you are looking at is designed for 2MP, so when they pop an 8MP lens on it, the processor is still the same and has to work harder. In some situations that is problematic.

Take a look at this thread I created that is a good study for NOOB on the value of MP/sensor ratios and the importance of focal length over MP.

Thank you that is a long read, I will read it later tonight.

Regarding the 2 pictures posted above, you show a 8MP picture on a 2MP sensor (what I have) and a 8MP picture on a 8MP sensor. I assume that 8MP sensor is way out of my price range? Do you have an example of a 2MP picture on a 2MP sensor?

Reaction score
That was NOT that long of a read. Very good write-up thank you. I will need to read it a couple more times to comprehend it all

I do have 1 varifocal camera in position to read license plates. The specs are the same as the others I listed earlier, though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As someone says here, buy once, cry once.

I have BOXES of cameras I bought trying to go on the cheap and they just didn't cut it. I would be better off having not spent that money and bought better cameras.

The cameras you are looking about $150 on Amazon or Lorex website.

You can get a 2MP or 4MP on the ideal sensor size in that price range. Yes the 8MP on the ideal size sensor is about double the cost.

The cameras you are looking at are fixed lens cameras. Whether the camera is 2MP or 8MP, the effective IDENTIFY range is only 10-15ish feet. Digital zoom only works in the movies.

That is why I pointed out, and we stress, the value of focal length over MP.

I can read plates with my 2MP at 150 feet because I have the proper focal length for that distance. You won't find an 8MP that will read plates of a moving car at 150 feet away unless you spend $2k.

Most here will say 4MP is the ideal sweet spot for these types of cameras.

This camera is the same focal length as the Lorex and will be a night and day difference in quality. This 4MP will blow away an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor all night long.

My 2MP has been the cameras that have produced the money shot to get people arrested.

This perp was good so I didn't get a super clean image, but good enough for the police to ID him.

2am thief2.jpg

2 am thief.jpg

Meanwhile, this was the best image any of my neighbors could get of the same guy with his Lorex LNB9242B that he ended up replacing with 2MP cameras:

1655783015998.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was NOT that long of a read. Very good write-up thank you. I will need to read it a couple more times to comprehend it all

I do have 1 varifocal camera in position to read license plates. The specs are the same as the others I listed earlier, though.
Can you post some sample video/images of plates with an 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor? Are they moving plates or stationary? At night? Distance?

Reaction score
Can you post some sample video/images of plates with an 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor? Are they moving plates or stationary? At night? Distance?
I have only just started to install, nothing is up and running. I still have the packaging so I may return it and “buy twice cry once”

I re-read your write up. I think this is the thing that us noobs dont understand at first: “One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose”

Assuming I keep my Lorex NVR (works with wifi and PoE cameras), can I use blue iris software along with other brands’ cameras?

Reaction score
The lorex camera you linked that I own, I paid $81. Their “sale” price.

So my sensor/screen combo is not necessarily bad, it’s the zoom/focal length that determines how usable it can be for whatever situation? Or the 8MP - 1/2.8” is still bad. Should be 2MP - 1/2.8”?

Which 2MP camera captured that perp?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I as many here have learned that one camera cannot be the be all, see all! So we try to share our knowledge so that others don't wastefully spend money on cameras that are not going to cut it.

The cameras I linked in the chose focal length over MP thread will work with Lorex as Lorex was made by Dahua just with cheaper parts and inferior sensor sizes.

Blue Iris is a software program that needs to run on a Windows PC. It will not work on a Lorex NVR.

What many have done is use the Lorex NVR as basically a switch to feed into BI, so they are running the Lorex NVR and a BI/PC combo.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The lorex camera you linked that I own, I paid $81. Their “sale” price.

So my sensor/screen combo is not necessarily bad, it’s the zoom/focal length that determines how usable it can be for whatever situation? Or the 8MP - 1/2.8” is still bad. Should be 2MP - 1/2.8”?

Which 2MP camera captured that perp?
No, your MP/sensor is a bad combo.

If night quality is a concern, then it is imperative that cameras be on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, or anything in green:

1726417962271.png

A varifocal on a less than ideal MP/sensor ratio like 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor will do even worse as you optically zoom in.

That image was from 60 feet away captured with the IPC-B52IR-Z12E

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
What many have done is use the Lorex NVR as basically a switch to feed into BI, so they are running the Lorex NVR and a BI/PC combo.
The NVR and my PC will all be on my home network. So I should be able to access the NVR through my PC and the Blue Iris program, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR and my PC will all be on my home network. So I should be able to access the NVR through my PC and the Blue Iris program, right?
That is correct, but by accessing your NVR with BI, you will only be able to access the camera feeds with BI, not the settings of the camera. You would have to log into the NVR GUI to change camera settings.

Reaction score
That is correct, but by accessing your NVR with BI, you will only be able to access the camera feeds with BI, not the settings of the camera. You would have to log into the NVR GUI to change camera settings.
Are PTZ settings considered "camera settings"?

Regardless, I'd still be able to access my NVR via the Lorex App, whether mobile or on PC, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR is separate than BI, so if you give the NVR internet access, you can use their app.

The PTZ movement should still work.

Yes Dahua and Empiretech will work with Lorex NVRs as they are all made by Dahua. Many people here have replaced Lorex cameras with empiretech cameras and used the Lorex NVR.

Reaction score
The NVR is separate than BI, so if you give the NVR internet access, you can use their app.

The PTZ movement should still work.

Yes Dahua and Empiretech will work with Lorex NVRs as they are all made by Dahua. Many people here have replaced Lorex cameras with empiretech cameras and used the Lorex NVR.
So, I am re-shopping for cameras now. I see that Dahua also offers cameras that are in the RED on the ratio chart. Is that also purely marketing even though that are from a brand that people on IPCAMTALK like?