Bullet vs Turret in the rain

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Every company makes good and bad stuff.

Yes Dahua makes cheap stuff that is not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio to tap into the unknowing consumer chasing MP over quality.

There should be a bullet version of that camera, or at least there was.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy one good camera such as this ONE to get your feet wet, you don't know what you don't know at this point.
Keep in mind, if you use Blue Iris, you don't need the NVR.
Also, any camera you purchase, to get the best performance from it, you MUST adjust the settings for the field of view.

Reaction score
Every company makes good and bad stuff.

Yes Dahua makes cheap stuff that is not on the ideal MP/sensor ratio to tap into the unknowing consumer chasing MP over quality.

There should be a bullet version of that camera, or at least there was.
I cant find a bullet version.

Are my lorex cameras good for anything? Keeping in mind they cost $80 compared to $160 Empire Tech.

Reaction score
Buy one good camera such as this ONE to get your feet wet, you don't know what you don't know at this point.
Keep in mind, if you use Blue Iris, you don't need the NVR.
Also, any camera you purchase, to get the best performance from it, you MUST adjust the settings for the field of view.
Can you link me to a write-up or video on how to use Blue Iris without a NVR? I assume I’m gonna need external hard drives somewhere?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are like most here, they will make for good paper weights when you replace them with better lower MP cameras LOL :lmao: My neighbor with his 4K Lorex 8-pack from Costco has 6 of those cameras now laying around in the garage LOL, all replaced with 2MP and 4MP cameras.

Keep in mind all NVRs are not created equal and if you got one with low bandwidth like 40Mbps, depending on how you run the cameras, you may only get to run 4 cameras on an 8 channel NVR.

Just because an NVR is rated for X number of channels doesn't mean it can actually support X number at full capacity. If you have to run the bitrate at 2,048 in order to use 8MP cameras and use the number of cameras the NVR is "rated" for, you have essentially downrezed them to below 2MP quality.

The camera would probably be ok indoors where you can take advantage of infrared bounce off of walls. Or kinda ok outside as an overview, but may not get much IDENTIFY out of it.

Is there a reason you want the bullet over turret? Most would prefer a turret and hate some of the better models are bullet only.

Here is an example of a turret not protected in the rain. The "hood" is only really needed if the camera isn't pointed down a bit. And if it is a problem, some have made one from PVC pipe.

Most here run BI without an NVR. As I said, a BI/PC is a NVR. You need a capable computer (laptops and NUCs are not recommended), HDD to store the video (which you would need for an NVR anyway) and buy a BI license. You will need POE switch to power the cameras and most add another ethernet card ($20) to isolate the cameras from the internet. Install BI and add the cameras and off you go.

It looks like the bullet version is now only in a varifocal, which is actually a good one to get.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If you are like most here, they will make for good paper weights when you replace them with better lower MP cameras LOL :lmao: My neighbor with his 4K Lorex 8-pack from Costco has 6 of those cameras now laying around in the garage LOL, all replaced with 2MP and 4MP cameras.

Keep in mind all NVRs are not created equal and if you got one with low bandwidth like 40Mbps, depending on how you run the cameras, you may only get to run 4 cameras on an 8 channel NVR.

Just because an NVR is rated for X number of channels doesn't mean it can actually support X number at full capacity. If you have to run the bitrate at 2,048 in order to use 8MP cameras and use the number of cameras the NVR is "rated" for, you have essentially downrezed them to below 2MP quality.

The camera would probably be ok indoors where you can take advantage of infrared bounce off of walls. Or kinda ok outside as an overview, but may not get much IDENTIFY out of it.

Is there a reason you want the bullet over turret? Most would prefer a turret and hate some of the better models are bullet only.

Here is an example of a turret not protected in the rain. The "hood" is only really needed if the camera isn't pointed down a bit. And if it is a problem, some have made one from PVC pipe.

Most here run BI without an NVR. As I said, a BI/PC is a NVR. You need a capable computer (laptops and NUCs are not recommended), HDD to store the video (which you would need for an NVR anyway) and buy a BI license. You will need POE switch to power the cameras and most add another ethernet card ($20) to isolate the cameras from the internet. Install BI and add the cameras and off you go.

It looks like the bullet version is now only in a varifocal, which is actually a good one to get.

My only concern is the lack of hood. I believe the hood acts as a drip-edge like on house roofs. The water on the top of the camera will go on the hood will not go onto the lens. But on a turret, the water from the top of the camera slide down onto the lens.

If I do BI/PC, will my computer need to be on all the time?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several of my turrets are exposed and no issue compared to the bullet next to it.

Of course any rain event can wreak havoc to even a bullet camera with the hood. If the wind is blowing the wrong way it can temporarily put rain spots on your camera.

No different than an NVR is left on all the time, since the BI/PC is the NVR, yes it will be on all the time as well.

Reaction score
Several of my turrets are exposed and no issue compared to the bullet next to it.

Of course any rain event can wreak havoc to even a bullet camera with the hood. If the wind is blowing the wrong way it can temporarily put rain spots on your camera.

No different than an NVR is left on all the time, since the BI/PC is the NVR, yes it will be on all the time as well.
This is the NVR i have.
It says network bitrate 200 Mbps

I’m not concerned leaving an NVR on all the time. I am concerned about leaving my computer on all the time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK that is a better NVR rated at 200Mbps bandwidth.

Folks here, including me, have used a meter to check the power usage of an NVR and computer for BI and they are comparable, and buy a newer computer and it will be even less.

An NVR is simply a watered down computer. I have an HP SFF computer and it isn't much bigger than an NVR. There is no keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked to it. I can place it anywhere and remote into it.

Reaction score
OK that is a better NVR rated at 200Mbps bandwidth.

Folks here, including me, have used a meter to check the power usage of an NVR and computer for BI and they are comparable, and buy a newer computer and it will be even less.

An NVR is simply a watered down computer. I have an HP SFF computer and it isn't much bigger than an NVR. There is no keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked to it. I can place it anywhere and remote into it.
My concern is not power consumption but my computer itself. I have all my stuff on there. I’d like to shut it off when I’m not actively using it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just like you are not checking email and surfing the net on your NVR, we don't recommend using your daily computer for BI either.

For $100ish you can buy a business class 8th gen that is basically brand new (most of them were bought in bulk and then sold off what they didn't need) and even less if you wanna buy used.

But if you already have the NVR, just go with that. And then at some point demo BI on your computer and realize what you are missing and you will gladly buy a computer just for BI lol

Reaction score
Just like you are not checking email and surfing the net on your NVR, we don't recommend using your daily computer for BI either.

For $100ish you can buy a business class 8th gen that is basically brand new (most of them were bought in bulk and then sold off what they didn't need) and even less if you wanna buy used.

But if you already have the NVR, just go with that. And then at some point demo BI on your computer and realize what you are missing and you will gladly buy a computer just for BI lol
What is a “business class 8th gen”? Dell laptop?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a laptop. Laptops are designed to slow down the processor in favor keeping temps low.

Something like an HP EliteDesk would be a business class computer.

Or a Dell Optiplex, but most here prefer HP as it is easier to change/add stuff.

Reaction score
So, just to confirm: a 2MP - 1/2.8” camera is better than a 4MP+ - 1/2.8” camera, assuming all other variables are the same?

Thanks so much

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct.

But if you can afford the 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor, it is hard to beat right now.