Burglars run after getting fright on their life

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a couple of comments on re-visiting this thread:

1. Re_Watching the original video, the audio warning took far too long to activate. A lot of theives would have broken a window and been in the car before the warning activated.

2. I wish Dahua put speakers in all their cameras. Either that, or there was either a cheap accessory speaker - mny seem to be rubbish and expensive - surely Dahua can make a quality external speaker for around a few $ in China with an MRSP of $10-15 in the US .

3. I wish for external speakers they'd put a waterproof jack socket on the bottom of the camera body so you could add a speaker without having to take the whole camera down and apart thereby messing up conenctions and adjustments. The ability simply to plug in and plug and play a speaker would make these cameras far more user friendly. The risk is someone unplugs the speaker, but TBH, is that really such a bad thing? You still have video without audio and unplugging the speaker means coming close to and looking at the camera which is almost a dead cert facial capture.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a couple of comments on re-visiting this thread:

1. Re_Watching the original video, the audio warning took far too long to activate. A lot of theives would have broken a window and been in the car before the warning activated.

2. I wish Dahua put speakers in all their cameras. Either that, or there was either a cheap accessory speaker - mny seem to be rubbish and expensive - surely Dahua can make a quality external speaker for around a few $ in China with an MRSP of $10-15 in the US .

3. I wish for external speakers they'd put a waterproof jack socket on the bottom of the camera body so you could add a speaker without having to take the whole camera down and apart thereby messing up conenctions and adjustments. The ability simply to plug in and plug and play a speaker would make these cameras far more user friendly. The risk is someone unplugs the speaker, but TBH, is that really such a bad thing? You still have video without audio and unplugging the speaker means coming close to and looking at the camera which is almost a dead cert facial capture.
that did take way too long for the audio to start.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think that audio delay is what caused them to react the way they did. It sounded like a person like their system woke them up and they saw them and got on the speaker.

Sure the audio could have started a little sooner, but if it came on at the same time as the light did, I think they would have ignored it.

They are expecting that at the same time a motion activated light comes on, so the delay has a psychological effect that caused them to scatter.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone have a 25-30W 12V horn speaker attached to the line out of a cam?
That's about the highest wattage internal amp IP66 12V speaker I can find.
I'd like to know if it would be loud enough to invoke a reaction like that.
Does anyone have a related experience one way or the other?

hopalong

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something I'm playing with at the moment, is Blue Iris AI turning on inside lights when motion is detected outside. The plan, if I can get it to work, is to turn on lights in bathrooms, the garage, laundry, and lounge room, with the intent that the thieves see the lights come on inside the house, and think that someone has been disturbed and is up turning on lights. They expect motion sensor lights to turn on outside the house, how many are going to expect their arrival is automatically turning on lights inside the house?
Did you ever get this to work? I'm thinking of doing something similar using MQTT to turn on our driveway street lights. I use Home Assistant for all things smart home if that helps any.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a 25-30W 12V horn speaker attached to the line out of a cam?
That's about the highest wattage internal amp IP66 12V speaker I can find.
I'd like to know if it would be loud enough to invoke a reaction like that.
Does anyone have a related experience one way or the other?