Buying my first IP camera, thought I'd ask your advice first. (UK)

Ayer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Andy from The City of Bristol in the UK and I'm looking to purchase my first IP camera. I attempted to do some research on the subject and after wading through lots of stuff on the internet I really didn't feel any better equipped to make an informed decision than when I had begun. What's more worrying is that I'd initially thought I'd just spend £50 then that got stretched to £100 then £150.... you can see where this is going. So anyway I was about to pull the trigger on a Y-Cam Cube 720 when I realised that I was still really not that sure that what I was buying was good tech and not just good marketing.

So yesterday I was continuing my search when I discovered Hikvision, which in turn lead me to all of you. After lurking for a day and skimming through the the posts I've decided to expose my ignorance and beg for your guidance in selecting my first IP camera.

I want the camera to monitor the front of my property from a basement or ground floor window simply so that I can see people calling at the front door when I'm working in my workshop at the back of the house, it can be quite noisy and I often miss deliveries. I can't really put a camera outside as the house is part of an almost 300 year old row of Bath stone terraced houses and it would look awful. So for the sake of aesthetics I'm going to have to be shooting from a far from ideal vantage point through a window with the camera at an acute angle to the glass and in the case of the basement window pointing upwards too, silhouetting any subjects coming to the front door, on the level above, against the sky. Even with a few grands worth of DSLR that's an exposure nightmare. Oh and the front of the house faces almost directly west and so the sun will be in the frame most of the afternoon. And it's got to be wireless, sorry. :hopelessness:

My wireless network consists of a 2TB Apple Time Capsule as my router situated on the top floor at the front of the house and an Airport Express on the ground floor at the back of the house extends coverage to the garden at the rear. One concern is how much of my network resources an IP camera will hog as I do a fair bit of online gaming and I'd prefer to have no cam at all rather than cripple my wireless network performance. I'm currently running just one dual band wifi network, the Apple Time Capsule has the capability to create a second "guest" wireless network too and I wondered if I should use that and create a second secure network just for the IP camera. It isn't inconceivable that I could add another IP camera in the future as I am on top of a hill in the city with a decent view, although it will require a certain amount of clinging precariously which I'm averse to at my age, still scalability is an issue. Lets say 3 cameras max, that's gonna gobble up your bandwidth I'd imagine. Would running them on a separate network ensure the performance of my main network was unaffected? Or do you think a second network is just giving the hardware even more work to do running as two routers instead of one and having to share limited resources to manage both?

If possible I'd like to try to find the sweet spot between resolution and network performance, initially this made me cautious of considering anything better than just VGA but I'm loathe to buy crap, I like to buy the best I can afford in the hope that I won't need to ever again or for a decade at least until the lead free solder breaks down.

I've an all singing and dancing late 2013 model 15" Retina MacBook Pro but that doesn't go down to the workshop as it can get a bit dusty down there. I'll probably only use that to review footage in the evening, during the day I usually just have my trusty old iPhone 3GS with me on a battered old Bose dock playing music or listening to the radio whilst I work. Ideally I'd like to use that to monitor the IP camera during the day, it only works on 2.4GHz and has a screen resolution of 480x320.... Suppose I could get a used iPad or take the hit on a 5s but I'm more inclined to keep going with what I have, if at all possible.

Then there's the choice of focal lengths, given the awful angles and locations I'm forced to use to monitor the short distance to the front door and their inherent exposure problems I was wondering if a longer focal length would produce least distortion and give me less background sky to contend with when balancing exposure. My thinking is also the longer the focal length the narrower the depth of field so I'd pick up less distortion from the window glass with a long lens than I would a wide where the field of focus is so much deeper when the subject is so close and you aren't focusing close to or at infinity. I'm inclined to use portrait orientation for the camera again so I can catch less sky and more foreground giving, I hope, the camera a better chance to get the right exposure.

Night vision, there's a streetlamp close by so there's always a fair bit of illumination but with the camera behind glass I'm not expecting great things. I may catch the occasional fox out foraging or drunk on their way home who imagines the steps to my basement lead to a urinal. The PIR obviously won't work so I'll just have to rely on motion, with traffic outside and headlights at night, we'll see, my gut tells me it's going to be just about useless, will just have to tweak it and see.

On the bay I found a Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW in Lithuania and a DS-2CD2412-IW in Bulgaria for essentially the same price, both are EU so I won't get hammered for tax and are substantially less than I was considering spending on the Y-cam, so I guess the question is, all things being equal, which one do you think I should get?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Go with the hikvision cubes you found. Ycam is crap. The 2412 may do better with nightvision (generally lower MP cameras do better at night). With both you can adjust the bitrate and resolution to minimize impact on the network. 4mm is probably a safe bet, 2.8 will be too wide for your use and 6mm might be too narrow. You can use any old 25 dollar android phone to monitor your camera, or get an old android tablet for 75-100.
Remember to disable the IR light because it will reflect off the glass, there is a special setting for that (its not in the regular image settings, I don't recall now off the top of my head).
If you want you can create your own mini wifi network to handle the cam, with a cheap 10 dollar router....

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I can picture your situation, a standard compact European front yard which is the length of an average car (or shorter) - and thus close range. Picturesque setting and probably counsel restrictions on what you can and can't do, or have to get planning permission for.

If you primarily just want a live video feed in the work shop showing whether somebody is at the front door; a 1.3 / 720p with h264 probably would be a good balance between price point you are looking for, image quality and network bandwidth. At the same time, if you want to capture details of what is going on in front of the house, capturing details is important and 3MP is probably the way to go. Since hikvision is a great value you don't really have to worry about the cost 1or3 mp. Avoid VGA. I'd say 720p minimum.

Being that you really are talking close range, I'm wondering if you shouldn't go for shorter than 4mm. For close range with wall mounted cameras in commercial they use fisheyes that covers 180 wide. Specs differ brand to brand, but I've got a 2.8 foscam inside a window looking out (temporary test setup) and I can only fit (horizontal level looking out) a 40ft wide section of front yard into view that starts 12-15ft away.

You said the only option is a small basement window, at an odd up angle, but I still have to ask: Do you have the option to shoot down from a second story? Possibly with the direction of the sun? Or door side glass? It is better to look down or sideways, than up. Looking into the sun does not work. Your only recourse is going up and staying in the shade of the sun. As cameras have gotten significantly smaller, you may even have an outdoor option looking down, placing a small vandal camera in the a corner of a window. Inside or outside. Semi-concealed, hidden from direct view.

Indeed, if you shoot through the glass, IR needs to be turned off dusk-dawn or you will be staring at a white image. Downside of inside use of the camera, will be that at night it will create lots of color noise, increase bandwidth and trip motion recording, if you choose to have that.

Also, most cameras now have two feeds. A primary one at high resolution, suited for motion recording and getting the detail; and secondary lower resolution one that's more suited for live viewing on multi-camera monitoring screens. So that is an option you have as well, to both capture motion as needed and tap into a lesser resolution live feed.

Picturing a compact house front & garden in Europe, very close range, a basement window, odd angle, ... I just keep thinking widest angle at the front door. I'd be as crazy to mount an oversized peephole/looking glass and shoot through that. Or mounting some mailbox or bird house or flower box in the front with the camera concealed inside it, to get a better angle and capture details from a favorable angle. Just my 2 practical cents.

dalepa

Reaction score
Go with the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW, works great, even with wifi, however it's not waterproof. Wireless in general can cause issues (depending on your setup) so you can also look into using powerline adapters, such as actiontec 500mbs

Hikvision 2032 are a second option, however no wifi or sounds.

Do you plan to use a PC/Blue Iris? Highly recommended...

Ayer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting there... slowly

I've decided on the DS-2CD2432F-IW as both 1.3 and 3MP versions I've found are roughly the same price. I went out last night and looked carefully at the front of the house and it's remarkably well lit by the street lamps at night, I'd imagine that they produce a fair bit of light in the near red, will be interesting to see.

I've also decided not to be such a sissy, lift a few floor boards and run some Cat-5e down from my router, through the ceiling below, down to the front door. There's a transom window above the door, I should be able to mount the camera above this looking down. It's an all together better position than the others, I won't be able to see much of the steps leading down to the basement, but I should get who's coming to the door and there's a much better chance that motion detection will be viable and exposure should be a doddle. I'd avoided that location initially because there's no power sockets in that area and I don't want to start hacking off plaster so I'm going to need a single port 802.3af compliant POE injector and that will be my task for today, to look for something that's suitable but not too expensive.

Blue Iris, probably not, I'm not entirely sure what it is to be honest because I gather it's windows only, I have an old Sony Viao running Windows XP Pro SP3 but it's unbearably slow and has a tiny hard disk. I can run XP as a virtual machine on the mac but if possible I'd like to stay native even though it may gimp my choices significantly. I'll look in due course and maybe take it for a spin, trouble is all my current virtual machines are configured exclusively for gaming so there's vast portions of the OS missing to save space and all but the critical services disabled or deleted leaving only what the games needs to run, wouldn't want to be cluttering them up with software I didn't know already in any case. So I'll need to do a fresh windows installation, like I said I'll get round to it.:sad2:

Also have to grab a micro SD card for it to store what it captures locally. I suppose it's best to get the highest write speed available? I think MyMemory are doing some Transcend ones that are 45mb/s read/write or will any class10 work just as well?

Thank you for all the ideas thus far, I think I'm slowly getting it.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any option of using an outdoor mini dome outside of the window above the door?

In my foscam trials I get a ton of color video noise using a camera behind glass looking outside and some daytime reflections in the image as well. One can't use IR to see out dusk-dawn as IR light bounces back from the glass, so it stays in color mode, trying to see in the dark creating tons of image noise around dusk & dawn throughout the night; triggering motion recording, filling up the drive ... pretty much useless at night.

Yes, a good fast SD or micro-SD card -- double check which one it uses as Hikvision lists SD for all while many take micro sd -- will be a must for on device recording. Note that the advertised card speed is typically higher reads speed and not the write speed.

Sometimes evaluating options is multi-step, forward, backward. My property is a bit tricky layout wise, limited install options, used a lens calculator, pen & paper layout, did a visual angle & FOV confirmation on top of a ladder at what I deemed my ideal install locations; only to confirm I'm only part way there due to visual obstacles with trees/shrubs. Confirmed some things, but need a plan B ... I may need to put a cheap wifi camera in a tree.

Ayer

n3wb
Reaction score
Any option of using an outdoor mini dome outside of the window above the door?

In my foscam trials I get a ton of color video noise using a camera behind glass looking outside and some daytime reflections in the image as well. One can't use IR to see out dusk-dawn as IR light bounces back from the glass, so it stays in color mode, trying to see in the dark creating tons of image noise around dusk & dawn throughout the night; triggering motion recording, filling up the drive ... pretty much useless at night.

Yes, a good fast SD or micro-SD card -- double check which one it uses as Hikvision lists SD for all while many take micro sd -- will be a must for on device recording. Note that the advertised card speed is typically higher reads speed and not the write speed.

Sometimes evaluating options is multi-step, forward, backward. My property is a bit tricky layout wise, limited install options, used a lens calculator, pen & paper layout, did a visual angle & FOV confirmation on top of a ladder at what I deemed my ideal install locations; only to confirm I'm only part way there due to visual obstacles with trees/shrubs. Confirmed some things, but need a plan B ... I may need to put a cheap wifi camera in a tree.
Sadly there is nowhere outside where I could put a camera where it wouldn't be very obvious and out of place, same reason I can't have UPVC windows or front door (not that I'd want them), it would just look terribly wrong.

I appreciate that I've a far from idea location for the camera and I'll have issues with it behind glass but there really is no other way I can see to avoid having to shoot through glass except by getting one of those spy-hole cctv cameras for the front door and they're just a little bit naff from what I gather. I'm hoping that by mounting the camera as close to the glass as possible will mean that the glass is outside the cameras field of focus and any reflections won't be visible, worst case scenario I make a Cinefoil hood for the lens. As for low light/IR performance I'm not really that bothered, generally speaking I work 9 to 5 and outside those times it can do what it wants, if someone knocks on the door I'll hear it.

The product info states the camera takes a micro SD card, the Transcend one I snagged is 45 mb/s write, all I look at is write speed when I'm shopping for media these days :) It's 64GB so even if I do get allot of false positives it should still hold a couple of days worth of clips... or so I'm hoping.

Found myself a 802.3af single port combined power supply and POE injector on eBay for under £20 delivered, have piles of ethernet cable kicking about so I'm just waiting for my camera to arrive.

Ayer

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW arrived today and my excitement quickly gave way to dismay and then anger and frustration as I tried to get the blasted thing to work.

I took it out of the box and connected it to my 2TB AirPort Time Capsule using a cat 5e cable and then plugged in the power supply that I'd received with it. I typed 192.0.0.64 into my browser expecting to see the web configuration login .... and nothing, it just timed out. So I went and downloaded the OSX plugin, installed it and tried again ..... exactly the same.

So I downloaded iVMS 4200 for mac and tried to connect with that. It can see the camera in the Online Devices tab, the MAC address is there, firmware version, device ID, IP address, subnet, port are all populated with data. Once the device is added the problems start.

Camera 1 Login failed. Error Code 7. (Connection failed: device off-line or connection timeout.)

I tried a couple of other apps on the macbook pro but all showed similar issues, they can auto detect the camera but that's all, it can't be configured or viewed.

Any idea before I loose my wits completely. Again this is just getting it to work locally, wired, haven't got started with port forwarding and static IP's for external viewing yet.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong, oh and tried switching off the OSX firewall but has no effect.

I'm using the following defaults:

Username: admin
Password: 12345

Ayer

n3wb
Reaction score
So anyway after, building a virtual machine and getting the windows software running on my mac, then dragging my 12 year old laptop out and trying with that, exhausted at around 2am last night I gave up. I couldn't do anything to log onto the camera, neither browser nor software could get into it. This morning I fired up the mac again and just for laughs I ran IVMS-4200 and added the camera again for the nth time and lo and behold it just worked! Have no idea how or why or what but now I'm able to access it via browser and via the iVMS 4200 application. So now I'm going to read the manual and figure out what I need to do next and get it mounted above the door.

One thing I did notice was that every time I put a card into the camera an alarm went off, a very loud alarm. Now I'm able to access the camera settings I've discovered it was a warning that the micro SD card wasn't formatted.

Haven't been able to get my old iPhone 3GS to run the iVMS-4500 Lite app except in safe mode and mobile safari seems to lack the plugins required to view the cameras output so today I'm going to root around and see if I can get either option to work or find an alternative app for monitoring on the phone.

The image quality straight from the box is fantastic, I have no complaints there.

Hopefully I can post some samples soon.

Anotyad

n3wb
Reaction score
Alternative app - Try IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou. If your camera is not in the support list, drop him an email and he will respond usually with a resolution to get your camera viewable. HTH :)
Kev