BVR compared to MP4

dpressm

n3wb
Reaction score
BVR_MP4 Conversions.jpg This is NOT a question about how to convert BVR file to MP4!

I hope this has not been asked before but here goes anyway. What is BVR format and how does it differ from other video formats both technically and functionally?

By functionally, I mean things like Is it less choppy; is it more or less compressed; when is it better etc.

By technically, I mean whatever you can tell me (or point me to a url - I searched but could not find anything) that might help me understand the above.

Finally, do you have any rule of thumb that would tell me how long (in real time) a ?GB file would take to play?

BTW, my guess is that BVR is really a frame based format (each of which might be compressed) in that each frame of video is fully defined and not dependent on information (ie "pixels") that existed in previous frames and were culled out by compression. Whereas other formats are based (at least after compression) contain only the pixels changed from previous frames.

I suspect the above because of BI capability to jump to any position (as flagged in the alert file) without having to review the entire file up to that point.

ADDED IN EDIT:

Ok I think my guesses above were wrong. I exported the same file with 4 different MP4 option (see file names below) and got roughly the same size file. So I do not think my guess above was correct because if so I would have expected smaller file sizes.

New question: exports 3 & 4 below (without two pass option) have viewing lengths substantially greater than 1 & 2 (With Two Pass) - why would this be happening?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 36156 This is NOT a question about how to convert BVR file to MP4!

I hope this has not been asked before but here goes anyway. What is BVR format and how does it differ from other video formats both technically and functionally?

By functionally, I mean things like Is it less choppy; is it more or less compressed; when is it better etc.

By technically, I mean whatever you can tell me (or point me to a url - I searched but could not find anything) that might help me understand the above.

Finally, do you have any rule of thumb that would tell me how long (in real time) a ?GB file would take to play?

BTW, my guess is that BVR is really a frame based format (each of which might be compressed) in that each frame of video is fully defined and not dependent on information (ie "pixels") that existed in previous frames and were culled out by compression. Whereas other formats are based (at least after compression) contain only the pixels changed from previous frames.

I suspect the above because of BI capability to jump to any position (as flagged in the alert file) without having to review the entire file up to that point.

ADDED IN EDIT:

Ok I think my guesses above were wrong. I exported the same file with 4 different MP4 option (see file names below) and got roughly the same size file. So I do not think my guess above was correct because if so I would have expected smaller file sizes.

New question: exports 3 & 4 below (without two pass option) have viewing lengths substantially greater than 1 & 2 (With Two Pass) - why would this be happening?
mp4 and bvr as containers that hold the h.264 video. The primary benefit of bvr is that playback of the recorded video is available while the file is still open. This is important when reviewing video after getting an alert.
When using direct to disk, file size is dependent only on the bitrate coming from the camera.