Bypass port forwarding

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Pi is a linux computer. You can make it do anything. That is the whole point.

kmax1940

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Pi is a linux computer. You can make it do anything. That is the whole point.
right right.... the PI is a tiny linux box... I did not know you could turn it into a wifi router though... I will have to look that up. Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On that note, you might consider picking a cheap but decent wifi router that can run DD-WRT firmware, and use that as both the OpenVPN client and the wifi access point for the camera. The wifi should be better, the cost potentially lower, and the setup easier.

kmax1940

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On that note, you might consider picking a cheap but decent wifi router that can run DD-WRT firmware, and use that as both the OpenVPN client and the wifi access point for the camera. The wifi should be better, the cost potentially lower, and the setup easier.
Thanks so much!
I looked at dd-wrt this morning... they have a ton of compatible routers.. linksys etc.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
The greatest disadvantage of a pi: if not power cycled properly (eg power outage), you are up for a round of travels changing corrupt SD cards everywhere.

I like the way people suggest to create a "private" wifi for the cams to connect to a "private" Router (to say blunt: an Access Point with outbound VPN connectivity to your OpenVPN server infrastructure).

But then you'll run into the "wifi" disadvantages corner: what about an outdoor cam on the far side of the house? Worst case, you are up to some kind of managed services Mesh network (eg like ASUS ones). That might cost a fortune.

I do not know your business case, but what is your compelling reason to act that a customer should pick your solution (and not for a "cloud based" like Ring system)?

Like @bp2008 wrote: I wouldn't trust a chinese cam with port forwarding on, but even without port forwarding, I put it in a secured vlan. Where would I connect your "private" solution into? It won't go into my private vlan either. So prepare for an all-round works-for-all solution. In the past, someone even talked about a "fully mobile router" with 4G running on batteries-only. Then you're fully offgrid.

Just my 2c!
CC

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@catcamstar I think people who are very concerned with network security probably will have no trouble isolating a device they do not trust fully. For that matter, they probably won't be buying this guy's service anyway, as they would just roll their own.

kmax1940

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@catcamstar thanks for the tip.

what we would need to do is have the pi or wifi router allow only the mac address of the camera.

the use care is:
a simple 1 camera job that the user can easily move around the house... like a nest cam... just plug the camera into power.

thanks everyone!

i think we are going to give it a shot this way:

* dd-wrt router with OpenVPN client installed (which is plugged into the customers modem/router).
* wifi camera connected to that dd-wrt router.
* OpenVPN set up on our streaming/web server offsite.