Cable distance

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good morning everyone....

Am wondering whats the maximum distance for a IP camera connected on a NVR with POE without losing power using Cat 6 network cables. My supplier who i get the hikvision from says we can do more then 100 meters that the ip cams are capable of more distance without losing power. I personally have not exceeded anything to that range of cabling.. Just wondering......

Would like to hear other options and advices...?

Thanks

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
POE standard is 330' (328' to be exact), however people on here have reported 400'-500' utilizing QUALITY cable like TOUGHCable.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
100 meters end to end, if you need to go overs the 100 meters you have to use a switch then run the next 100 meters :) its the specs of the cable not the camera or NVR

though like anything you could exceeded the recommended specification and have no issues.....

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
its the specs of the cable not the camera or NVR
The 330' is the POE standard based on distance and quality of signal before the signal becomes unusable - thus like any standard all products meant for this application must be certified to this spec/distance/etc. However your statement above isn't exactly true....

Some NVR's put out less power per port then others. Also some cameras may work fine during the day but fail at night because the power requirement for the IR to power up is higher and the attenuation at that distance can't support it, but could support something pulling less watts.

Thus one camera may work at 550' while another may not, in turn, while the POE spec is what it is, the physical camera and NVR do play a roll in this as well.

you have to use a switch
This also isn't 100% accurate - you can use an extender. In many cases in POE Camera environments only 1 or 2 of your cameras may exceed the distance thus placing two additional switches isn't ideal or is a bit over kill. You can look up POE extenders and find single line/in line extenders that will push 500m in some applications.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not promoting this, as strictly it's outside the specs which 'guarantee' minimum performance figures - but just for info this is from the release notes of the Hikvision NVR 3.4.91 firmware release :
Firmware Upgrade
New Features
1. [POE Configuration]
(1) I and K series POE NVR supports extending POE transmission distance from 100M to 250M
with cat5e cable or 300M with cat6 cable;
(2) The capacity of POE port will be changed from 100Mbps full-dup to 10Mbps full-dup after
switching to long-distance mode;
(3) User can configure POE long-distance working mode in Menu- Camera- POE configuration,
the default status is OFF;

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Forcing 10baseT is a good idea if you're over 100m/328'

If you've got power along the way you just need a switch and you can go another 100m. There are also some PoE powered switches but you have to drive more power into the first leg.

woodsie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
POE standard is 330' (328' to be exact), however people on here have reported 400'-500' utilizing QUALITY cable like TOUGHCable.
Just to clarify, the limiting factor of a POE run is the data, not the power itself. 328' is the maximum run length for any 100BASE-T or 1000BASE-T before you start seeing issue whether it's a powered connection or not. The power being sent over a POE connection can far exceed 328'. You can use self powered repeaters to extend a camera run to 200 meters, 300 meters, and even 400 meters depending on the power requirements of the camera.

Axis makes a repeater (Model #T8129) which will do exactly that. For example a 802.3af POE source can provide up to 12 watts at 200 meters (1 repeater) or up to 6 watts at 300 meters (2 repeaters). A 802.3at POE source can provide more power than that and at further distances.

I have a Hikvision Box Camera at my work which is at ~150 meters right now with 1 of these repeaters as we speak. Works great, no problems.

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A friend of my confirmed using a normal switch (uplink 4 port) to extend cable distance without losing poe power. Connecting it somewhere in the middle of the cable and it worked perfectly so he says. Am not sure personally but am going to go check it out next week with him.

Am sure the better the cable the more distance it can go.

Hikvision NVR 3.4.91 firmware release
Is this for all series or each have its own upgrade?